< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It's not only about guns!  (Read 1630 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
It's not only about guns!
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
CISPA is back.

Remember when we defeated the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) last year? Well, it's back with a vengeance. The leading Republican and Democrat on the U.S. House Intelligence subcommittee re-introduced the cybersnooping bill this week.

To refresh your memory, the CISPA 1.0 a Patriot Act for the Internet. But now they've rebooted the effort, and with CISPA 2.0, "Congress is trying to kill Internet privacy again."

The bill gives companies like Verizon and AT&T protection from customers' lawsuits when they give the Feds information about your Internet use.

Amazingly, Congress and big businesses are claiming they need to violate our privacy to protect us from Iranian and Chinese hackers, but they refuse to put any basic privacy protections in writing.

CISPA would undermine our basic rights and jeopardize our privacy online.   CISPA sponsor Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger even said at a hearing this week that he didn't see any reason why businesses needed to hide your personal data from the government.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: It's not only about guns!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
CISPA is back.

This is bad, very bad.  Aaron Swartz, we miss you badly >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
Exactly.

Ruppersberger apparently doesn't see the need for the 4th Amendment, either.  Idiot.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
Exactly.

Ruppersberger apparently doesn't see the need for the 4th Amendment, either.  Idiot.

There you go, giving idiots a bad name :laugh:

His kind don't want the Constitution, period :angry:

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
There you go, giving idiots a bad name

Ya, I shouldn't do that.  We're all  idiots, some in  one thing and some in others.  But,  he appears to be an idiot in all things.   Most idiots aren't that dumb.   I should know, I've been called an idiot enough times that when I hear the word I turn and say "What?" :)

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
Why would they need to cyber-snoop in the U.S.? Hell, anything they could possibly want to know they can find out just by asking the chinese military hackers. Could probably do it cheaper too!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
The Federal government will not stop until it has complete control over every meaningful aspect of our lives.  I hope it doesn't come to this in my daughter's or her children's lifetime, but I fear we are heading towards a breaking point in the not so distant future. 

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »
It's really sad that this is back.  I see that the Federal Govt. is out of control.  I believe that they will not stop either.  They will continue to grab & take until nothing is left....

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
anything they could possibly want to know they can find out just by asking the chinese military hackers

That would be funny except that it is more true than most people realize.   AND, they don't  have to hack.   Their slave laborer, a.k.a. Chinese "citizens", makes most of the computer devices we use.   Most people do not know that in the 1980s the US gov had Texas Instruments put back doors in their printers and other devices.   When the F111's flew during Gulf War I the Iraqi high command couldn't print out orders because the US gov had disabled their printers.    I suspect that firmware back doors is how the Chinese hackers are getting in, even if the US gov runs Linux on  those computers. (Linux  keeps out all other hackers, though).

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
I suspect that firmware back doors is how the Chinese hackers are getting in, even if the US gov runs Linux on  those computers. (Linux  keeps out all other hackers, though).

If it's true .....how do you know they didn't put the same into your system BIOS Proms

Could be your siting on-top of a Root virus right now and don't know it ....
If so windows, Linux, Mac or what ever won't help yea.

Cheery thoughts  for your morning

Phantom
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"