< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Kids and Gun Shows  (Read 1419 times)

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Kids and Gun Shows
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
Over the years, I have seen a few kids at gun shows, not enough parents are bringing them along. I have also seen how some of them act, which makes me wish that the parents hadn't brought them sometimes.

We as a gun community need to remember that those kids today are going to be the buyers and shooters in the very near future.  I remember how some of the grumpy old dealers treated me when I was 16-21 years of age, almost like it pissed them off that I was there. My love of firearms kept me going, along with a few dealers who actually treated you like they were glad you stopped at there table.

When young kids are there today, we need to make it a point to talk to them and make them feel comfortable, explain to them and discuss with them different things about the guns and accessories, and stop driving them away from our industry.

Make it a point to get them involved.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Kids and Gun Shows
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »
....and remind them to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING BEFORE ASKING TO DO SO.

I don't mind if a kid/young adult handles the merchandise, after asking.  But, please, teach them to ask first.  Unless I know the dealer/person that has the items for sale(and they know me), I always ask first out of courtesy.

I don't bring my 2 boys(7 year old twins) to the gun shows for this very reason. They have NO self-control when it comes to things(especially guns) that are shiny or cool-looking.  When they are older and have learned a little more self-control, it will be great to bring them along to see all of the cool stuff(and people) at gun shows.

So, yes bring them, but teach them to be respectful of other people's property, and that they don't really need to pick up every single item on every table.

I suppose this goes for adults, too.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:30:12 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
I always take my kids and they have a TON of fun and everyone treats them wonderfully... always get a ton of smiles!

Offline Pink_is_just_a_color333

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Youth Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
i love going to gun shows and alot of times people are nice and when i didnt understand something they would explain it to me
No one knows whats on your mind until you tell them.

Unless of coarse they are a mind reader, or Edward Cullen.