< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First traffic stop while carrying tonight  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: First traffic stop while carrying tonight
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
I would always inform the officer of my permit, even if not carrying. That's only because he will know about it when he runs my DL. I'd rather he not have the chance assume I'm armed and forgot or chose not to inform him.

That may have been the way it was presented in class.  I do remember we can not use our CCW permits to go armed on a snowmobile!  lol

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
Gary:

Your interpretation does not match what I have been told by instructors and LEOs.  If you are not carrying a handgun you do not need to tell them you have a CHP.

019.02 A permit holder carrying a concealed handgun who is officially contacted by any peace officer or emergency services personnel must immediately inform the peace officer or emergency service personnel of the concealed handgun unless physically unable to do so.

Most LEOs said it would be nice if you told them you had a CHP and were not carrying any firearm, but the rule above states "carrying a concealed handgun" not "anytime you are officially contacted".

Couple months ago I was stopped for pushing the speed limit and since I was not carrying at the time, I did not inform the Lancaster County officer that I have a CHP.    Did so as I was taught in my CCW class by 88-Tactical and per State Statue.   Even after running my information, the officer made no mention nor did I about said permit and we conducted business and went on our separate ways.   Sometimes too much information can raise suspicion as well as not enough.   Do what you think is right and within the parameters of the law and you should fear not.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Gary, while I understand the thoughts behind the disassembly of your firearm, but I have to ask; What If that hadn't have been a 'good guy' coming up to check on you?  Seems to me a broke down Glock is all but worthless.  Just my $.02.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
I always hope people that drive interceptor vehicles and have 2.4 million lights of red and blue pointed at me, are on the level.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
That may have been the way it was presented in class.  I do remember we can not use our CCW permits to go armed on a snowmobile!  lol

I've talked Sen. Brasch into doing an "interim study" on that very subject after this Unicam session.   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
He told us when ever your Driver's License/State ID card is run by an officer (at least in the state) it flashes their computer screen some how.
I didn't get to ask if it did so when they ran the License plate or if it was just the Driver's License or State ID card that flashed it.

The CHP is---as mentioned here several times---connected only with the Operator's License and not with the Auto License Plates.  The LEOfficer will first run the plates to see if the car is stolen and if the plates actually match the auto's description.

Then he'll run the Operator's License and check Insurance and Registration.    When he runs the Operator's License, a CHP holder's name will come up in RED at the very top of the screen.

Then way down at the bottom of the screen, also in RED, will state the reason why:   Concealed Handgun Permit Holder, Outstanding Warrant, whatever.

A Nice LEO ran the demo for me when I asked him to do so.   Interesting and Informative

sfg[/b]
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
As SFG said, they will know when they run your operator's license. It's probably best they find out from you first, even if you are not carrying.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
I always hope people that drive interceptor vehicles and have 2.4 million lights of red and blue pointed at me, are on the level.
Sorry, I guess I read into the last story that you had done so well before the officer had pulled up and had identified themselves with lights and such.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
I can break a Glock down with one hand in the dark.  The Glock is in bits on the dash in a zip lock bag before my tires touch the shoulder.

I'm having some trouble imagining a way to clear and strip a loaded Glock while piloting a moving vehicle towards the shoulder safely, much less with one hand.

Video?

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
I can break a Glock down with one hand in the dark.  The Glock is in bits on the dash in a zip lock bag before my tires touch the shoulder.

After talking to a couple LEO's I know today (one in CB other in Omaha) can I ask that you do NOT do this if stopped in the metro? The reactions I got were not good. The CBPD said you would be "peeing in the fountain of my good natured discretion" heh, his words.  The OPD said if he saw someone breaking down a weapon as he pulled them over they would not leave the stop with that weapon. It leads him to believe the weapon was not concealed and that you may have been flashing it as you drive down the street. "Cute moves like that deserve a teachable moment to help the learning curve" 

Cops are people, some good, some bad, but doing something which could possibly antagonize them doesn't help any of us. SFG said in his class we have to set the best example while exercising our rights.  I think he's right.

Offline Nebraska12

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »

I had a flat by Sapp brothers, in the city limits of Omaha years ago.  As I waited for a tow, an officer pulled up, approached on the grass, and when she saw my Glock parts on the dash, she started walking backwards in her same footprints in the grass, lit up her patrol car, crossed the median and took off in the other direction.  Not a word.  She easily hit 100mph when I lost sight of her. 

A few minutes later, her boss arrived, with her close behind.  She went for the grass again, while he approached normally.  Asked if I was having trouble, and had I called a tow truck, I told him we were fine, and a tow truck was on the way.  He said, I apologize for my deputy, she is fresh out of the academy, and I told her if she saw anything not covered in class, to come see me personally.  I guess they never covered gun parts on the dash, so she got flustered and left. lol

Her boss, was very nice, and told me he appreciated me having my gun disassembled in that fashion, because it took all the tension out of the situation (at least for him).  He told me it was a novel idea, and to have a nice day. 

I can appreciate your perspective Gary, and I'm glad it's worked out for you. However, there is absolutely no way I'm handling my firearm without being instructed to do so by the officer if/when I am pulled over. Then again, I don't make it a habit to do anything that would get me pulled over in the first place. My wife tells me I drive like an old man...lol
'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'[/SIZE][/I]

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
When I had a gun store, I always carried.  I knew all the police officers in my town of Beatrice by their first name, and was and still am good friends with the retired police chief as well as the retired swat team leader. I have shot, as an invited guest, at a police shooting range.   I went white water rafting with one officer on a vacation in Colorado, and we were pretty close friends.  They knew I broke down my gun at a traffic stop when I was away from my area, and I don't recall any of them offering any advice on the subject.

Seeing LOE's from an inside perspective, all they want to be able to do, is pull their own boots off at the end of each shift.   Many could get better paying jobs with a lot less stress, and some end up doing that after a couple years, because the pressures of that job are so great.  If you can get past the 3 year mark, 4 year mark, it gets easier, as you find a grove to work in, and a shell to build around yourself, but it is never easy, and it is always potentially volatile .

Having a zip lock bag of handgun parts is just one way to show an officer respect and make that stop less stressful. 

With an FBI background check, I think the CCW permit is just as good as a broke down gun, and I see no reason to do that in the future.   No officer should fear anyone with a CCW permit, however, I do not think the gun should NOT be stored in the same location as your license, car registration and proof of insurance, again, to lower the stress level of the officer.

When I get pulled over, I have both hands on the wheel, 11 & 1, all my windows are down, radio off, blower motor on the heater off, all interior lights are on, four way flashers are on, and I pull off the street, and sit under a street light if possible.  If I must stay on the road, like on a highway, I am well off the road in the grass, so the officer has room to work.   The ignition is off, and the keys are out of the ignition, with them sitting in plain sight on the dash.   I have my license , registration, and proof of insurance on the dash, as well as all paperwork for any trailer I may be pulling.  I speak in a polite and courteous manor, maintaining eye contact with the officer, and keep my hands on the wheel, until instructed to do otherwise.

I don't speed, I don't drive with expired plates, don't pull unlicensed trailers, and always follow all traffic laws.   If pulling a trailer, ( I frequently pull a trailer) I make sure all lights are working, and if there is a problem with lights, I put on a red safety flashlight.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:51:54 AM by Gary »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »

So, to make sure I understand this, you are saying that you can remove a Glock from a holster, unload it, field strip it, and place these parts in a baggie while slowing down from highway speeds onto the shoulder, in the time it takes to merely slow down and come to a stop, and you can do this all with one hand?

Ok.

I congratulate you on your ability. 

Most people should not even remotely attempt to do this.  Not only is there of course a wonderful chance of a negligent discharge, but giving that much attention to something non-driving-related isn't a great idea either.  And, as people have already said, if you aren't finished by the time the police officer is watching you, being seen to be quickly fiddling with someone once you are pulled over is also not really a great idea.

I note also that if you are carrying concealed, you don't actually need to do anything.  Leave the gun in the holster, leave it covered up by your concealment garment, and just inform the officer when they show up.

And as people have said---if you aren't carrying, you are not required by law to inform the officer of anything.  But it is still a good idea to do so, simply to ease communication.  (You already know the LEO is having a bad day---it is hard to have a GOOD day when dealing with idiots all day---so being polite and clear right off the bat can make a significant difference to the entire event.)

I had a flat by Sapp brothers, in the city limits of Omaha years ago.  As I waited for a tow, an officer pulled up, approached on the grass, and when she saw my Glock parts on the dash, she started walking backwards in her same footprints in the grass, lit up her patrol car, crossed the median and took off in the other direction.  Not a word.  She easily hit 100mph when I lost sight of her. 

You have a radar gun in your car?

A few minutes later, her boss arrived, with her close behind. 
[snip] 
He said, I apologize for my deputy, she is fresh out of the academy, and I told her if she saw anything not covered in class, to come see me personally. 

The state patrol/police department/sheriff's department officer of the day was in a car mere minutes away? (And she had to go drive and get him, and then drive back instead of just using the radio?)  Wow. 

I'm not going to tell anyone what they can or can't do, other than saying what is required by the law.  That being said, it is certainly true that certain things are better ideas than others.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
Subject is getting pretty far off topic, but videos of what people can do with guns is educational.

Strip and assemble with one hand. 

While my methods are not like these gentleman, it is interesting to see what people can do with their hands.

IMHO, if you are getting pulled over by an LEO, nine times out of ten, something in your life needs an adjustment.

Just for future reference, I can also juggle regulation bowling pins and bowling balls.

Woman love a guy with good hands!  lol

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:18:53 PM by Gary »

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »
Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is prudent, or more importantly, necessary.  If the LEO doesn't like that you have a firearm on your person, they will remove it.  From the small amount of anecdotal evidence here on the forum, most LEO's will just ask you to leave it in the holster and that is the end of it.  The only thing I wouldn't like is if I was carrying a weapon that the LEO was not familiar with and the LEO decided to disarm me.  For example a 1911, mostly because I don't want the LEO putting a hole in something while trying to figure out how to clear it.  I have been disarmed by a Lancaster county sheriff's deputy once during official contact, but I was carrying a S&W j-frame so it wasn't an issue.  I declared it, he asked where it was, I told him, he asked me to turn so he could remove it, I did so, he removed it from the holster and handed it to his partner.  He returned it to me empty with the ammunition separately.  He asked me not to load it until he had left the scene.  I followed his instructions, nothing scary happened.  End of story.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
Impressive videos.

I still don't think I'd try to do it while being pulled over, but that's just me.

/rl

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »
Glad all went well. :)  Before he hit the lights, the officer knew you were a CCW holder because of DMV records.  The plate was his way of pulling you over to see if you were compliant.  Had you not told him you had a CCW permit, your first stop could have been your last one.  For those here reading this thread, Nebraska law requires you to tell any contacting police officer, or rescue worker, you have a CCW permit, even if you do not have a gun on you.  Failing to do so, is a felony.

In times past, while I have had a gun and get stopped, I always break down my Glock, and remove all the ammo from the mag.  I then distribute the "mess" across my dash, so the officer can see I am no threat to them.

In the future, with a CCW, I may still do the same.  Started the license process today,  2.5  hour wait at the State Patrol. We got there about 2:30 and it was almost 5 when we got out.  45 business days is more like 2.5 months, so around April 23rd, is our date.

Remember, a gun in your glove box is OK as long as you are alone in your car.  With passengers, everyone needs a CCW permit because under the law, everyone is concealing the gun, even people that do not know you have a gun. 

With passengers, best to keep your gun on your body.

So you were traveling with a loaded gun before you started the CHP process? 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
So you were traveling with a loaded gun before you started the CHP process? 

That is perfectly legal, as long as the firearm is not "concealed".

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline candlewax20

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
Gary, I do not intend to sound rude or blunt in this comment but I am failing to understand your thought process.  Put yourself in the LEO's shoes.  He turns on his lights and he follows you to the shoulder.  From the moment he turns on his lights he does not know much about you, at all, except for the fact that the vehicle your driving is not stolen, and has current tags, etc... 
At this point there is not much stress for him.  As he is following you to the shoulder he sees that you are holding/disassembling a firearm in the vehicle.  Im sure at this point he is on full alert; as you have created a stressful situation and im sure that if YOU were the LEO you would be somewhat skeptical of the person. Even if he didnt see you disassembling the gun while pulling you over, im sure he would rather just have you tell him that you have a CHP and make him aware of the guns location.  If you would have done so with the female deputy that stopped while you were getting a tow truck she wouldnt have freaked out. 
Again, Im not trying to be rude its just my opinion  ;)

Having a zip lock bag of handgun parts is just one way to show an officer respect and make that stop less stressful.