< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First traffic stop while carrying tonight  (Read 5970 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: First traffic stop while carrying tonight
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
Gary, I do not intend to sound rude or blunt in this comment but I am failing to understand your thought process.  Put yourself in the LEO's shoes.  He turns on his lights and he follows you to the shoulder.  From the moment he turns on his lights he does not know much about you, at all, except for the fact that the vehicle your driving is not stolen, and has current tags, etc... 
At this point there is not much stress for him.  As he is following you to the shoulder he sees that you are holding/disassembling a firearm in the vehicle. 
{snip}

I'm sure that Gary would perform such weapons manipulation below the level of what a police officer in a car behind him could see. 

Remember that Gary said that he could unload, disassemble, and pack the firearm parts in a ziploc bag one-handed as he slowed down and came to a halt on the shoulder of the road.  In that amount of time, while driving in such a fashion.

If the handgun was disassembled while being held low, the officer would see nothing, and Gary did say it would already be done by the time the officer made it to the car, so the officer would only see the results, which would be a pile of parts on the dashboard.   And I'm sure that would indeed lower the stress level of the law enforcement officer.

And also, in that situation, the gun is no longer concealed, so he wouldn't even have to mention that he was a concealed carry permit holder. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline candlewax20

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
I'm sure that Gary would perform such weapons manipulation below the level of what a police officer in a car behind him could see. 

Remember that Gary said that he could unload, disassemble, and pack the firearm parts in a ziploc bag one-handed as he slowed down and came to a halt on the shoulder of the road.  In that amount of time, while driving in such a fashion.

If the handgun was disassembled while being held low, the officer would see nothing, and Gary did say it would already be done by the time the officer made it to the car, so the officer would only see the results, which would be a pile of parts on the dashboard.   And I'm sure that would indeed lower the stress level of the law enforcement officer.

And also, in that situation, the gun is no longer concealed, so he wouldn't even have to mention that he was a concealed carry permit holder. 

Not sure if serious....  :laugh:

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »
Though I have a fairly decent long gun collection, I do not have a carry permit and don't own a handgun. I don't even go shooting that often since I am a single father, work full time and live in the heart of the city. When I do go shooting, my long guns are in individual cases and are locked inside my truck bed box. The ammo is located in a field bag under the back seat.

I got pulled over awhile back for having a tail light out. Knowing at least most of the CCP regulations when in contact with a law official, I approached it the same way...both of my hands remained on the steering wheel and I had my teen-age daughter lean forward with both hands on the dash board (the truck was shut off of course and my window was down). The Officer approached me and asked how I was doing. I replied "Fine, thank you. Officer, there are four legally owned long guns locked in the back of the truck and the ammo is under the rear seat. Would you like for me to step out of the truck?" He then asked if I had any hand guns, which I replied No. He looked over at my daughter and told her to sit back and relax. He then asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. He came back a short while later with a fix it ticket and thanked me again for informing him of the guns. He never asked to check or even glanced at my tool box. He was actually very relaxed the entire time from the moment I mentioned the guns and their location.

I feel that any assurances I can give the Officer will go a LONG way in making his day better and of course, mine as well.

Offline lightem up

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
I live in Cass co. Got stopped 2 years ago when the officer came to my window and asked for my licence,reg,and proof of ins but I never said anything about my ccw because I wasn't carry in at the time.   The officer came and said I see you have a ccw are you carry in? "I said no I was told by my instructor  you only need to tell the officer if was carry in. He said that's right we just think I nice to know have a nice day.   Important: if you are carry in give him your permit when you give him your licence and stuff the first time tell him right away or you'll wish you had. I heard the get pretty *****y if you don't.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »
Not sure if serious....  :laugh:

Just making sure everyone was clear on what he claimed, and given that, it is a logical extension that he could do it below sight level.

;D
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
I guess I don't see the big deal, if you are carrying or not simply tell the LE you have the permit.

Offline candlewax20

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
I guess I don't see the big deal, if you are carrying or not simply tell the LE you have the permit.

Yea its pretty simple.  If your carrying your firearm leave it be when you are pulled over. Inform the LEO of your permit and location of your gun. Proceed from there...

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
I've been pulled over a few times and told the officer I had a permit and I was armed and it never was a problem.  One time though it was the second thing I told the officer instead of the first thing (the first thing being an answer to a question he asked), and he got mad at me because as he put it, it was supposed to be the first thing out of my mouth, which I thought was a little Barney-Fifish of him.  But he had been sitting at the bottom of a long steep hill with his radar on and pulled me over going 5 or 6 over, so it looked to me like he had a chip on his shoulder to begin with.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Based on things I've heard and read, I think criminals pretending to be police offices is probably more common than a lot of people realize.  I doubt many of them have actual uniforms and badges though, but some probably do.  In fact I read an article awhile back about ICE uniforms being made in Mexico, and one problem with that was that some of the uniforms made were known to have fallen into the hands of criminal gangs; I doubt this happens only with that one type of uniform.

So the idea that law-abiding citizens are supposed to be totally submissive in the presence of anyone claiming to be a law enforcement officer can have bad consequences.  I would say that if someone claiming to be a plain-clothed officer especially tries to disarm you or get you into his car or come into your house or something you should call 911 and tell them to send a uniformed officer to verify that the guy really is what he claims to be.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
Don't be stupid in how you tell the officer.  For example, don't say "I have a gun!"

Don't say "I have a license to exercise my Constitutional right to bear arms, and am currently exercising that right, and if you want to question that right, I have a copy of the Constitution right here with me."

What I usually say is something like this: "I'm required to tell you that I have a concealed carry permit, and I'm carrying now."  Then if he asks where I'm carrying I tell him (rather than showing him).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:57:24 AM by depserv »

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

Then he'll run the Operator's License and check Insurance and Registration.    When he runs the Operator's License, a CHP holder's name will come up in RED at the very top of the screen.

Then way down at the bottom of the screen, also in RED, will state the reason why:   Concealed Handgun Permit Holder, Outstanding Warrant, whatever.

Recently renewed my DL online and my new license came in the mail today.  While checking to make sure there were no mistakes, I noticed my birth date is now in Red.   Remembering SFG's post, is this a way of coding driver's licenses so LEO's know as soon as they see your license that you have a CHP before even calling it in?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
Recently renewed my DL online and my new license came in the mail today.  While checking to make sure there were no mistakes, I noticed my birth date is now in Red.   Remembering SFG's post, is this a way of coding driver's licenses so LEO's know as soon as they see your license that you have a CHP before even calling it in?

I doubt that.  One of my duties is to check IDs of our passengers.  I have seen lots of states which use the red expiration date so that it stands out.  It makes my job easier instead of searching all over the place for the expiration.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
I noticed today that my birthday is in red on my DL, after reading your post.  I do not have a CHP.