< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: VA sending out letters to Vets, Prohibiting Firearm ownership  (Read 955 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
VA sending out letters to Vets, Prohibiting Firearm ownership
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Read the article. 

There is no reason given for the letter that some vets are receiving, only that they are now prohibited from purchasing - receiving or transporting a firearm or ammunition.   So Says the VA, without justification - explaination or recourse... 

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/disarming-americas-heros-veterans-receiving-official-letters-prohibiting-them-from-purchasing-possessing-receiving-or-transporting-a-firearm-or-ammunition

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: VA sending out letters to Vets, Prohibiting Firearm ownership
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »
Let's clarify just a bit.  The title of this thread might lead one to believe that this applies to all veterans when, in fact, it only applies to those that have been found incompetent.

A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
In my original post....   "the letter that some vets are receiving...."

"A determination of incompetency"....

I agree that there is a catch clause in the letter, BUT, what are the parameters and who will be the arbiter of the up or down decision ?   

Will a visit to the VA because you are having trouble sleeping and get a prescription be sufficient to disqualify? 
Will a battlefield injury which causes the loss of or use of a limb be a disqualifier?
Will some paper pushing G-3 rate clerk have the power to disqualify?
Will those that receive the letter have any recourse to challenge and have a hearing ?

I just don't think that they (VA) thought this through............

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
Thanks for the info UP, now that we are aware, but the link didn't specify how it is going to combat this? I saved the link with hopefully updating to prevent it.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Odd that they don't actually provide the letter.

A-FIXER

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
I do dislike when there are those who propel their cause of donations with out any perspective of how to fix it.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »

"A determination of incompetency"....

I agree that there is a catch clause in the letter, BUT, what are the parameters and who will be the arbiter of the up or down decision ?   

Will a visit to the VA because you are having trouble sleeping and get a prescription be sufficient to disqualify? 
Will a battlefield injury which causes the loss of or use of a limb be a disqualifier?
Will some paper pushing G-3 rate clerk have the power to disqualify?
Will those that receive the letter have any recourse to challenge and have a hearing ?

I just don't think that they (VA) thought this through............

Since this is from the VA, maybe it will be through a Disability Rating through a mental disorder.  My best friend has a VA rating of 100% disability, is no longer able to work because of his mental disorder (schizoaffective) AND he needs the help of his eldest son to help him to his finances and prepare his medications every day. 

He goes to group session therapy every month at the VA hospital and he tells me stories about some of the vets there that are suffering from some very serious mental health issues, so serious that they make him look normal. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:39:06 PM by LM4202 »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

Not calling you out.  Just clarifying that this isn't a widespread thing.  Always a good idea to have someone designated to act as your power of attorney rather than having the .gov do it for you - whether it relates to your healthcare or the disposition of your firearms.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Hmmm.... makes one wonder that sometime in the future, with the advent of Obamacare, that activities like... oh I dunno, enjoying the shooting sports for example, may disqualify one from getting healthcare insurance? 

Thank you Obama voters.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
Husker Fan - and other posters...   
Go back to the link. It has been updated with scans of the 3 page letter at the bottom of the article link. Addressed name is redacted on the letter.  Those who are more computor literate may be able to enhance and enlarge the document. 

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
ok thanks,

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »
One thing to keep in mind, there is no force of law with a letter such as this from the VA, et al.  A court of law must ultimately adjudicate one "mentally defective/ill".