< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why Does It Take 45 Days To Do Something It Takes The Sheriff One Week To Do?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
I recently got my permit to purchase. First having this permit. I was a FFL holder, so i did not need one before.

The permit to purchase showed up very quickly.  I applied on a Monday and it was in my mailbox the second Saturday. Less than two weeks, including mail deliverly time.

Which is a higher threshold, buying a gun, or carrying a gun you purchased?

I would think purchasing a gun with a gun permit is a much higher threshhold.

So why can the sheriff determine I am a safe risk to purchase a gun in a week and a half, and it takes the State Patrol a month and a half to determine a smaller responsibility?

Why can the federal government do a background check for a gun purchase in 10 minutes on the phone, and the SP takes 45 days?

The wait should take no more time than it takes to mail us our drivers licence licence.  They know instantly if someone is a felon, a bad guy, all that is nessassry is a printed card, 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:13:51 PM by Gary »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Why Does It Take 45 Days To Something It Takes The Sheriff One Week To Do?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
Because the Sheriff deals with one county, with X number of citizens, and the SP deals with the entire state.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
The whole thing is a compromise to exercising a Right. I have told many politicians that I am sure they do not understand the concept of a Right.  In reality, it seems politicians (law-makers) are not willing to conceed anything without having control. Even when something is a Right, politicians will try to force some control over it for the sake of being in control.

To keep control, create as much obstacle as possible and forced back cost of the Right of individuals wanting to avoid prosecution, we comply with the compromise instead of going without.

Some interesting effect...

I recently spoke to an NRA Counselor (the guys certified to certify NRA Instructors) from another state who pointed out (by way of rumor and observation) that NRA Counselrs in NE (the ones that can offer CCW classes) are difficult to find (by their effort?) and limit the number of NRA Instructors in NE that can create a state CCW program and teach classes.  Considering the $150 to over $200 CCW classes offered in NE this appears logical (other states seem to be able to provide mandatory classes at much lower cost and permit/cost/location is much easier to acess with sherrifs handling the task).

NICS is interesting. "Instant" is one of the letters in the NICS. Yeah, a 3 day wait for a "firearm purchase permit" (for "handgun") checks background for $5.  Then the NSP needs 45 days to check background (again?...'cuz the purchase permit was not good enough?)and needs $100 for that check plus the paperwork efforts.  Yeah, yeah, I understand the state needs to recover cost they imposed on citizens national Right.

Any way, ignore my sarcasm and understand that people don't want you to have the Right to defend yourself (since you most likely don't have the capacity to exercise that right correctly (sorry...sarcasm again) or become difficult to control when armed (a real concern). Legal obstacles control the law-abiding. The others (not necessarily bad people either, but not-law-abiding) will simply exercise their Right and take a chance at avoiding being caught for their choice. To be clear, I do not advocate unlawful activity and follow the law as best as I can keep up with it.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »
I recently got my permit to purchase. First having this permit. I was a FFL holder, so i did not need one before.

The permit to purchase showed up very quickly.  I applied on a Monday and it was in my mailbox the second Saturday. Less than two weeks, including mail deliverly time.

Which is a higher threshhold, buying a gun, or carrying a gun you purchased?

I would think purchasing a gun with a gun permit is a much higher threshhold.

So why can the sheriff determin i am a safe risk to purchase a gun in a week and a half, and it takes the State Patrol a month and a half to determin a smaller responcibility?

Why can the federal government do a background check

for a gun purchase in 10 minutes on the phone, and the SP takes 45 days?

The wait should take no more time than it takes to mail us our drivers licence licence.  They know instantly if someone is a felon, a bad guy, all that is nessassry is a printed card, 

The Nebraska Legislature, in its wisdom, has provided in law that a fingerprint-based FBI criminal history check is required for new CHP applicants. Nebraska State Patrol only performs NICS checks for renewals. If you think this is a stupid law (which it is), contact your state senator. State Patrol doesn't have any say over what the law is.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
So, once the FBI catches a kidnapper, and the kidnapper is in jail, it takes them 45 days to run a background check on that person?

It would seem the procedure to purchase a gun, is more important, than the procedure for that person to carry the one they already own.   

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
I recently spoke to an NRA Counselor (the guys certified to certify NRA Instructors) from another state who pointed out (by way of rumor and observation) that NRA Counselrs in NE (the ones that can offer CCW classes) are difficult to find (by their effort?) and limit the number of NRA Instructors in NE that can create a state CCW program and teach classes. 

To my knowledge, there is only one NRA Training Counselor (active) in Nebraska.  Terry Lane in Lincoln.  Outstanding trainer...outstanding individual....I can assure that contrary to some knucklehead from out of state's comments Terry remains active and offers classes a number of times throughout the year.  You'll see him post on this site.  Like many of us instructors he works a real job to pay for the privilege of training others. :)

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
If there is only one active NRA counselor in NE than it makes sense the appearance of little representation.
Since the individual I spoke with asks $275 for a pistol instructor certification, I don't get the privilege part. I do understand there may not be enough possibly for full time employment. CCW instructors do have potential to make substantial money in the current climate aparently.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
I don't get the privilege part. I do understand there may not be enough possibly for full time employment. CCW instructors do have potential to make substantial money in the current climate aparently.

Since we've stolen the thread... I personally look at it as a "privilege".  People researching then taking the time to come have me teach them when they don't know me from Adam.  To me that means something personally.  This is vice making gobs of money (which I am all for anyone to do as long as its legal).  My example for a CHP course.... spent over 60-70 hours of preparing my initial course work for the SP to approve, spend $350 each year for $1M liability insurance (to pay out when that one moron puts an extra hole in the student next to him on the line), roughly 2-4 hours preparing for each class, $60-80 in expense for each class in copy expenses, range rental fees, INCOME TAX ....in short,  for $100 for my course times my limit of 10 folks .... ain't a lot going in my pocket particularly being gone 12 hours all day to teach. This is fine for me as I enjoy teaching.  I know many instructors personally who are making money doing this and I all for that.  I am making a little, but NONE of us are sleeping on piles of it at night from teaching firearms courses.....

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Yeah, maybe hijacked, but still in interest.
Thank you for your insite, and dedication to education.

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
Pistol Purchase permits just have a NICS check run to issue them. At our office, as long as a deputy or the sheriff is available you'll walk out with the purchase permit that day.