< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Short Rifle Question  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Short Rifle Question
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
So if I wanted a short barrel for the AR-15, do I have to make it and register it per NFA????? Can I just buy the barrel somewhere and register it?????

Can't find any at Brownells, and the DPMS catalog says LE and Govt. only for 11.5" barrels.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Short Rifle Question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
You'd need to register a AR15 lower as a SBR as discussed here: http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=323.0

Then, if you register it as "multi" or "any legal" length, you can put whatever length upper on it that you would want.

More reading material: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17

If I am wrong in any of this, someone please jump in.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »
The ATF used to allow barrel length to be <16" and caliber to be N/A for guns like the AR that could change, but now if you send in forms like that they will be kicked back instructing to specify a barrel length and caliber.

What you can do is under other description area,  put text specifying length of barrels to be used, and possible other calibers.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
^^^ what he said...

for instance, I'll register mine as ".223, 9x19, and 22LR" in "7.5, 11.5 & 14" lengths... or something similar.

just gotta be specific.  it can be a long list (AFAIK), it just has to be a specific list.