< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My kids need Gun Safety Training  (Read 2438 times)

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
My kids need Gun Safety Training
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
heres a little history, I am a new firearm owner but I really want to own more guns, but sadly I can barely afford to upgrade and shoot the one I have. Me and my wife bought our guns back in Dec. Me a S&W M&P 9, her a S&W shield .40. We both want to have our CCW permits but honestly money is the issue with that. Financially I make about 45k a year, my wife is stay at home mom as we have 6 kids, 4 are step kids but the dad is a loser and does provide child support but it only covers food for them till we get back to court.

I have been keeping my gun occasionally when i get home from work on my side in a holster to get used to the feel on the gun, as I plan on carrying this daily. My m&p9 has no safety and honestly I like it that way. My wife and I own a safe and always keep our guns in there when not in use, we do not keep ammo in the house and at this point dont allow it until we get further training and and our CCW permits.

The other night i had been talking to my wife when the kids were getting into bed and we had been talking about our plan for a home intrusion during the day and at night. As we were sitting on the couch my daughter walked up and tried to grab my gun from my lap, I stopped her and explained again the 4 rules of gun safety, My gun is always empty unless at the range and she knew that but she did not understand my anger with her not having a feeling or understanding of gun safety. At this point I believe my kids need gun safety training from an outside source as that seems to work better for some people to create a sense of seriousness.
So long story short, I am poor, and I need gun safety training for my kids, any suggestions?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My kids need Gun Safety Training
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Contact the NRA and inquire about the Eddie Eagle program

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
Besides the Eddie Eagle program being excellent, you might consider a hunters ed course. They are free and even if you dont plan on taking them hunting it is an excellent firearms safety class. The students must be at least 12 years old to recieve a certificate.

For the younger kids (7-12) 88 Tactical will be offering a Youth Gun Safety and Range Shooting Course once it warms up. Course info can be found here; http://88tactical.com/categories/19-family-series/courses/41-family-series-youth-gun-safety-and-range-shooting-tekamah/

I know its not free but it does include time on the range, something none of the aforementioned classes do.

Basic course description is as follows; Classroom time will cover firearms safety rules, shooting sports and activities, main parts and operation of a rimfire rifle, ammunition, shooting fundamentals, cleaning and maintenance, range rules and etiquette, benchrest and/or supported prone shooting positions and continued skills developement.

Course Logistics:

Approximately 3-hours of instruction completed in one day.

1 hour of classroom in Tekamah 
2 hours of range time in Tekamah.

Required Eligibility:
Students must be 7-12 years of age and be accompianed by a parent or guardian.

.Rifle- provided
.Ammunition - provided

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »
sjwsti, class sounds great. have to talk to the wife about it we only have 2 at that age group.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Kids are curious. 

If you were eating candy, they would want some.

Hit walmart, or Amazon and get them some dart guns with suction cup tips. 

Teach them gun safety with their new guns.

BB guns are also great for use in appropriate areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Maverick-Colors-Vary/dp/B0002UP0IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362507949&sr=8-1&keywords=suction+cup+gun

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Nerf-N-Strike-Jolt-Blaster/dp/B006E1B7ME/ref=sr_1_36?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1362508185&sr=1-36&keywords=toy+guns

For instruction, look around on you tube, that is all free.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
You didn't mention the ages of your children, but children of any age are welcome to attend one of my Hunter Safety courses (if accompanied by a parent/guardian).  Only children age 11 or older can be certified to hunt unaccompanied through the program, however.  Right now, I don't have any classes scheduled but you can go to the Nebraska Game & Parks website and find classes near you: http://www.register-ed.com/programs/69

I have Eddie Eagle materials if you're interested in having some.  The course content is easy to deliver and I can provide you with a workbook for your kids as well as one for you and your wife as parents who own guns.

The NFOA was planning an event for this Saturday the 9th.  I was planning to teach a firearm safety and storage class for adults and children, but our venue fell through.

Offline Nnylrac

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
All very excellent information.  Our daughter is going to be 12 in June.  For Christmas, we bought her a Red Ryder BB gun  ^-^  She has shown a very strong interest in shooting.  Her father and I are also relatively new handgun owners.  We both took the CCW class in January as well.  She has been taught all of the safety rules and can recite them by memory.  Using her BB gun, she always uses safe practices.  Luckily we live on an acreage and she can shoot whenever the weather allows.  She's a pretty good shot too! 

We signed her up for a hunters safety course at the end of March.  She doesn't know it yet, but when her birthday rolls around in June she's getting a 22  ;) 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
Wusker,
You and the missus need to check out corneredcat.com. Kathy has some good insight on such issues. I have followed many of her processes with my own children.  My kids enjoy shooting, but have no interest in touching the firearms outside of a range situation.
I also have wanted to do an Eddie Eagle / NSSF Gun Safe program. If I can get something together, I will post it here.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
Make sure you're involved in all of their teaching and training and stuff.

If they do attend a class, sit in on the class so that you can hear what's being taught.  I imagine all classes would require parent present, but even if it doesn't... don't drop'em off and go shopping or bumping uglies or something.

Ultimately, it's YOU (and your wife) that are responsible to teach them.  Your presence, your steadfastness, your personal touch while re-enforcing what is taught in the class is what will be the big deal.

Besides, gun safety is fun - it's one of the few areas in life that has several #1 rules :).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
unfy i totally agree and I and my wife are wanting to particpate in all education about firearms with the children. My problem is I am worried they think this **** is a game (sorry about my language). I love video games but they dont seems to grasp that they cant take down a 200 lbs intruder with WWF moves or that the gun is imagery they see in call of duty but this one is REAL and is meant for defending lives.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »
If they're 8 years or older, them shooting the gun should go a long way to letting them know it's not a toy.

If you know anyone with farm land with a decent back stop.... or if a local out door rage will allow it ... shoot up some fruit with a 22 or something... it'll more than demonstrate how deadly it is.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
unfy i totally agree and I and my wife are wanting to particpate in all education about firearms with the children. My problem is I am worried they think this **** is a game (sorry about my language). I love video games but they dont seems to grasp that they cant take down a 200 lbs intruder with WWF moves or that the gun is imagery they see in call of duty but this one is REAL and is meant for defending lives.

Check out 88 Tactical's FAST classes to help your kids understand what's involved in defending themselves against an adult - not only how to defend themselves but also how difficult it is to defend themselves.

Also, at the risk of sounding preachy, consider the images your children see in the video games that you play.  If your kids are struggling to differentiate between what happens in those games and what happens in real life they're probably not mature enough for those images.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
I would like to thank all the members that have given good advise here, it is great to see so many stepping up to help another member out with the how to educate questions. 

I also would like to renew Mud's offer of Eddie Eagle materials, the NFOA got those so we can educate kids, so if it is age appropriate please feel free to make use of those materials.  If you ask I would almost bet that we could get a member to voluteer to do the class if you would like it to come from someone other than yourself.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
I would like to thank all the members that have given good advise here, it is great to see so many stepping up to help another member out with the how to educate questions. 

I also would like to renew Mud's offer of Eddie Eagle materials, the NFOA got those so we can educate kids, so if it is age appropriate please feel free to make use of those materials.  If you ask I would almost bet that we could get a member to voluteer to do the class if you would like it to come from someone other than yourself.

I'm happy to do the class.  Just need to fit it into my schedule and find a suitable place.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
IME, taking my son hunting at an early age gave him a good understanding of `for real`, and that dead is DEAD.
I know he felt badly when I took my first called coyote. No so much when deer hunting (feel bad about it) because he know thats where we get the jerky from..lol

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
What is your profession, wusker? I have offered to pay for one teacher to take the CCW course on me.  If your a teacher, I will pay for your course.  I am in Lincoln, as are you.  Let me talk to some friends who teach the course and see what we can do, regardless of your profession.  However, if you ARE a teacher, I will pay 100% of the cost of the course and you will have to pay the license fee.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Do any of the 4-H clubs in lincoln have a shooting sports program?  Our club here did ....3 of my kids did it .... Archery, .22 rimfire, and one did shotgun ...... airgun and muzzloading rifle and handloading are also offered in some clubs.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
I would suggest contacting the good folks at 88-Tactical.  They offer such a variety of classes and are very good at what they do.   As was mentioned earlier the "FastCats" class for children is excellent....two of my grandchildren attended and I fully recommend it to anyone with children.     And, they do have their Family Series Youth Gun Safety and Range Shooting for 7-12 yr olds.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:36:54 PM by zofoman »
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Do any of the 4-H clubs in lincoln have a shooting sports program?  Our club here did ....3 of my kids did it .... Archery, .22 rimfire, and one did shotgun ...... airgun and muzzloading rifle and handloading are also offered in some clubs.
I think there is a 4H ish program over in the Airpark area, and I know the Izaak Walton was working on a Air Rifle program. not sure how that is panning out.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Good advice here.  Also... try to find a copy of the small book / pamphlet "Gun Proofing your Children" by Massad Ayoob.  The Library should be able to get it for you via inter-library loan if it's not in their system.

It's a bit dated, but the fundamentals are good.  Ayoob's premise is that kids are attracted to the "forbidden fruit".  If you tell them something is off limits, they'll find a way to get to it and play with it.  If you make disciplined shooting a part of their upbringing, it will lose it's forbidden fruit appeal.  That's a huge over-simplification of his book, but it's the best I can convey in a couple sentences.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK