< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why does anyone need high capacity magazines?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Why does anyone need high capacity magazines?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »
Here is what happens when you are armed and have adequate magazine capacity going up against four thugs, two of which have AR's.

Sadly, here is what happens when you are unarmed.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Thugs don't just wake up this way, their lives of crimes are cultivated and nourished by our criminal justice system. 

Put me in charge of the world, and the jail cells will be empty and the streets safe again.  Does no good to warehouse violent offenders and let them out of jail.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
warehouse violent offenders and let them out of jail

If only it were just that.   On our dime  they get weight rooms to bulk up, TV and such to pass idle  hours, and free college courses, in addition to the street smarts they get from other offenders.

An individual  whom I helped to convict of murder in 1988, and again in 1998, has been ruled by the SCOTUS as a victim of unconstitutional imprisonment because he was a teenager at the time of his conviction.   It doesn't matter that psychiatrists ruled  him  so  psychotic (if you knew his history you'd know why) that he should never be released into the general public.  It doesn't matter that he's made death threats against his parents, who are so scared that they sold their home and went into hiding.  It doesn't matter that he passed his time in  his cell pasting pictures of women on the wall and then mutilating them.   My taxes paid for his legal training.   He has only  one class left  and he could take the bar exam, if he weren't a felon.  But, he can  use that training at little expense to himself  to harass anyone he chooses, at great expense to them, by being his own lawyer.

According to SCOTUS he has to be commuted.   Someday soon, he will be let out.  That's why I am carrying.  I don't believe the courts could be twisted to administer the kind of revenge he will seek.   My wife,  who has never wanted to shoot guns now  wants to learn how.

A friend of mine was a prison guard at the Lincoln pen.   During his time there he received three death meaningful death threats.  Later he got a different job, with less stress.  The prison officials  told him they would notify him when each was released.   He told me today that a while back he was walking through Walmart and saw one of those who threatened him, although that guy didn't see him.  He had not received a notice of his release.

In Texas, 12 violent sexual  predators were released under a monitoring program that used ankle bracelets to  track them.  The program, which was supposed to be public, was only discovered when one of the predators  cut off the bracelet and ran.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:23:17 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
GreyGeek, I just connected the dots that you were one of the gentlemen who spoke at the 2nd Amendment rally last month.  You did a fine job and I thought your story was very moving.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »
We need large mags to hold our Plus 5 extensions!

Mags now hold 20 rounds of 10mm.  Not the firepower our gov is about to unleash on us, if we read the receipts for all they ordered, but it will have to do.  That along with the 4 AR15's, and my AR10.    That should do my part to keep the peace.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:58:28 PM by Gary »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »
GreyGeek, I just connected the dots that you were one of the gentlemen who spoke at the 2nd Amendment rally last month.  You did a fine job and I thought your story was very moving.

Thanks.

Like I said at  that rally -- NEVER in my entire life did I ever think that someday I would have to stand up and defend the Constitution of the United States.  We live in  perilous times, and it is not because of radical Islamists.  They are being used as the excuse to subvert and nullify the Constitution.  Executive Orders (but not the Constitution) give President Obama the "right" to declare anyone in America a "terrorist" and to have them killed with no regard to ANY of the Bill of Rights.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/107839599438746451936/posts/KigjHSYDQUA

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Just to be perfectly clear, a 30 round AR magazine is NOT a high-cap magazine. It is a standard capacity magazine for that rifle.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Just to be perfectly clear, a 30 round AR magazine is NOT a high-cap magazine. It is a standard capacity magazine for that rifle.
This
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:41 PM »
The anti-gun left doesn't care about that sort of thing.  "High capacity" = whatever is available now.  Look at what they did in New York.  How many states already restrict magazine size.  If I recall, in CA the limit is 10.  Does anyone think that if the left can generate enough emotion that they wouldn't make it 8, or 5, or ban semi-automatic weapons altogether?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
The anti-gun left doesn't care about that sort of thing.  "High capacity" = whatever is available now.   
While this may be so, we don't need to give credence to their stupidity by repeating it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
While this may be so, we don't need to give credence to their stupidity by repeating it
Concur.  We need to change the terms of the debate and not get caught up in a discussion of how big is big enough.  Addressing it in those terms legitimizes the notion that magazine limits are okay, it's just a question of how much is "enough."  I like the approach that argues magazine size is irrelevant.  The 11th bullet is no deadlier than the 10th or the 1st.