< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Recommend a gun shop in the Omaha area  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
Recommend a gun shop in the Omaha area
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
I recently bought my M&P 9 from the Bullet Hole, mostly because they had it in stock.  I'm now contemplating a subcompact 9mm to purchase as a carry weapon (either an LC9, Sig 290, or a Kahr CM9).  I'm relatively new to purchasing firearms.  Would love to hears some endorsements and recommendations, for both a carry pistol as well as where to buy it. 

My CCW class isn't for a few weeks, so I've got time to find what I want -- assuming the wife doesn't veto before then!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Recommend a gun shop in the Omaha area
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
I would suggest one of our sponsors in LaVista Moeller Arms.  You support one our own, pay a fair price,  avoid the BS OPD registration process (unless you are an Omaha citizen and you say you don't have your CHP), but MOST importantly you avoid sales tax to Omaha....

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
Moeller Arms in La Vista, Sarpy County.

84th Str, West side, North of the Godfathers on the frontage road.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
+1 for Rod. 

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
Hands down for Rod.  Shop somewhere to hold and look at what ya want and then order from Rod.  I bought my Kahr PM40 from him!
 ;D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
I would suggest one of our sponsors in LaVista Moeller Arms.  You support one our own, pay a fair price,  avoid the BS OPD registration process (unless you are an Omaha citizen and you say you don't have your CHP), but MOST importantly you avoid sales tax to Omaha....

Rod is a good guy.

I also have no qualms about Guns Unlimited.  They aren't price gouging, even now.  But it would be preferable to have the Concealed Handgun Permit going there.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Wilson makes a good point of shoping around and see what `works` for you.
I had my CCW for three years before deciding on a LCP..just for the ease of concealabilty. I think if I lived in a real `rough` `hood, then I would have probably gone with something different. LCR .357 was my original thought.
Just a thought; if you know anyone with  a 22 cal pistol that might let you test with it..could save you a few $$. 2 others besides me have used mine.
happy shopping

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
I've been looking around quite bit and holding lots and firing a few.  I'm actually taking the class from Rod in Apr, so I'm looking forward to meeting him.  Since it will likely be mid to late May before I get the permit, I've got time to shop around.  Perhaps the buying panic will have eased by then.

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »
LaVista Moeller Arms

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
I too would recommend going to rod - especially if you have some time to order.  While I've not bought with him, I have met the guy and he is one hell of a lot more pleasant to deal with than my other choices...also, he has quoted me prices n several guns which were ALWAYS better than or competitive with anybody else.

Having said that, I've bought guns from scheels (3), cabelas (1) and guns unlimited (3)... At GU their prices are generally as good or better ha the next place - better in the cases of my purchases- but until recently their customer service was absolutely reprehensible...the first 2 guns I bought form there were great prices accompanied by total a**hole salespeople...I have had at least 2 good friends that have had the same experiences (the bad ones) - one even calls the place 'guns unfriendly as a rule'...

BUT to their credit, the last three times I have been in, including my most recent purchase, it has been totally different- I have been helped by different people than prior and maybe that is why, but my last buy there went great and the salesman was a very cordial and down to earth guy. 

I will definitely be back there - especially given my recent experiences - and if nothing else for ammunition and their selection which is about the best in town, but a word of caution...

At scheels, there is this one guy who is a total douche..Eric, maybe?  The other guys have been awesome and always helpful in my experience.

Cabelas?  I dunno - seems like their prices are higher as a rule (as in every time I have price checked them) - for example, befor ei bought my pps mchecked them...they wanted $700 bones for one and that was waaaay before all this mess.  i ended up getting it for 550 NIB online - and they are constantly understaffed at the gun counter...

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
I've had good experiences at GU dealing with Mike (Harmon?). They'll usually meet or beat Cabelas prices on guns in stock. Both times I've tried to buy gun at Cabelas I got the "knowledgeable expert treatment" from salesmen who assured me that what I wanted wasn't really what I wanted, and that something I didn't want was what I really needed...

I might give Mr Moeller a try for my next purchase, he's either earned all the high praise you'll find on this forum or they're REALLY kissin his butt to get more raffle guns. j/k ;D

on side note, if you like your M&P9 you'll hate the LC9...trigger break/reset is almost as bad as the wait on gettting the CHP :(

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:34:09 AM »
You may also want to take a short drive down to Lincoln and check out DE Guns on North Cotner. Derek and Kim usually have quite a few handguns in-stock.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
I would avoid Arms and Ammo in Fremont.
They are in FULL GOUGE mode at this time.

Just my Opinion, Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
Check out Rod's web site. Rod is a great guy to do business with anytime.

http://store.moellerarms.com/
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
I've had good experiences at GU dealing with Mike (Harmon?). They'll usually meet or beat Cabelas prices on guns in stock. Both times I've tried to buy gun at Cabelas I got the "knowledgeable expert treatment" from salesmen who assured me that what I wanted wasn't really what I wanted, and that something I didn't want was what I really needed...

I might give Mr Moeller a try for my next purchase, he's either earned all the high praise you'll find on this forum or they're REALLY kissin his butt to get more raffle guns. j/k ;D

on side note, if you like your M&P9 you'll hate the LC9...trigger break/reset is almost as bad as the wait on gettting the CHP :(

Not all of us at Cabela's try and force certain guns down peoples throats. I make suggestions to people and if they don't like it then it doesn't matter what I tell them. The one gun I always try to get people to avoid is the dreaded Hi-Point, never had a positive experience with one. BTW Cabela's price matches brick and mortar stores within 100 miles, we frequently match prices for Scheels. If you don't want to wait at Cabela's then I would say go to Rod.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with Hi-point ..You can drive 16penny nails in 2 hits all day, then actually load it with a good chance it will fire. ;D