< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dumb question on shipping a firearm......  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Dumb question on shipping a firearm......
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
Ok, I know that when you sell a firearm out of state it must be shipped to a FFL, but what about when shipping one of your own weapons? I just had someone ask me about this. He moved out of state and left some of his firearms in the care of a friend until he got situated down there. Now that he is set, he wants his friend to ship the remaining guns down to him. Can they be shipped right to his house? My first thought was yes, but then I started to over think it, like I have a tendency to do.  ::) I haven't done any research on this yet as this situation has never come up, I was hoping someone could save me the effort.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Dumb question on shipping a firearm......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
Jay-

The Friend cannot ship those firearms to the owner. Firearms cannot be shipped from a non-FFL to another non-FFL.

Unfortunately really the only way I see it is that the friend would have to ship the guns to an FFL dealer here, and the FFL would have to transfer them to the owner. Or the owner needs to go pick them up.

Now, I know that you can ship LONG guns to yourself for hunting purposes, however you have to do the shipping I believe (not someone else).

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
Thanks, I was afraid of that.

The craziness never seems to end.....

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
Chris,

I'll throw this out, and I don't know that I'm right, but this is not a transfer of ownership.  Could not the original owner ship from himself to himself in another state?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »
Wren-

I believe you can do that with a long gun for the purposes of hunting. Not sure about a handgun though. Those darn Federal laws are so hard to read because they are full of *******

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
Wren-
I believe you can do that with a long gun for the purposes of hunting.  Not sure about a handgun though.
The answer is yes, you can ship to yourself for hunting or other lawful activities.  See Sec B9 here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

That being said, handguns cannot be shipped via USPS (must use FedEx or other private courier) and they must be shipped overnight. 

Zombie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:19:26 AM by zombiehunter »
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
As an aside, an FFL can ship handguns via USPS.  It might be cheaper to pay transfer plus postage than to overnight it via UPS or FedEx. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
As an aside, an FFL can ship handguns via USPS.  It might be cheaper to pay transfer plus postage than to overnight it via UPS or FedEx. 

Paying an FFL to ship a handgun via USPS Priority is definitely the way to go.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
Many FFL's refuse to ship to anyone but another FFL
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »
The Post Office form 1508 is only from FFLs to FFLs not to or from individuals.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger