< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The white whale of AOWs  (Read 3688 times)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
The white whale of AOWs
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
If my Internet research is any indication, lots of folks would like to buy a smoothbore, side-by-side 12 gauge handgun. Such an animal would either be an AOW (if never assembled with a shoulder stock) or a short-barreled shotgun (if it is manufactured from a shotgun that was originally fitted with a shoulder stock).

There are two major advantages under federal law of an AOW version over an SBS version, and some other advantages based on the law in certain states. The federal advantages are that the transfer tax is only $5 instead of $200 and that as an AOW temporary interstate transport doesn't require prior approval of an ATF Form 5320.20. Additionally, some states (e.g., California) prohibit SBSs but allow AOWs.

As far as I know, the most common AOW of this type is the Ithaca Auto & Burglar, but good luck finding one for sale.

Nebraska's own Hatcher Gun Company manufactures some very cool short shotguns, but since they are all manufactured from shotguns originally fitted with shoulder stocks, these are SBSs and not AOWs.

My understanding is that the reason that all such new manufacture shotguns are SBSs and not AOWs is that the shotgun manufacturers whose products could potentially be made into an AOW will not sell virgin receivers for the purpose of manufacturing an AOW, and those that might sell them for this purpose are somehow prevented from importing the virgin receivers and can only bring in such shotguns if they are assembled in some sort of sporting configuration.

It seems to me that there is an opportunity here, but I just have no idea how much it would cost to tool up for producing these things from scratch, or who might be persuaded to undertake such a project.

Ideas?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: The white whale of AOWs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »
How good is Serbu's business with it's super shorty ?  that might hint.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:13 AM »
from what i have heard a few times is that shotgun manufacturers only release a small number of virgin receivers to some manufacturers.  Serbu is a main one.  i also think Dave Hineline was able to buy some virgin receiver at one time.

now, what if you buy the Mossberg Just In Case shotgun.  it is a pistol gripped shotgun, could that be made into an AOW?  it never had a stock, just a pistol grip.  yes its a $200 Form 1 to make the AOW, but $5 to transfer it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:33 AM »
now, what if you buy the Mossberg Just In Case shotgun.  it is a pistol gripped shotgun, could that be made into an AOW?  it never had a stock, just a pistol grip.  yes its a $200 Form 1 to make the AOW, but $5 to transfer it.

Dunno if it takes a Form 1 with $200 stamp to turn it into an AOW ?

But yeah.

I've got a Mossberg Persuader that came PGO.  Swapped out factory pistol grip with a knoxx stock pistol grip.  The thought of turning it into an AOW is indeed strong but would defeat it's purpose (home defense).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Dunno if it takes a Form 1 with $200 stamp to turn it into an AOW ?

RobertH is correct: the AOW transfer tax is only $5, but the making tax is the same as for other NFA firearms: $200.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
now, what if you buy the Mossberg Just In Case shotgun.  it is a pistol gripped shotgun, could that be made into an AOW?  it never had a stock, just a pistol grip. 

Yes.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
but that Mossberg would be pretty expensive, especially considering the initial price, NFA paperwork and then cutting down the barrel and magazine tube (if needed/desired).  might was well just buy a Serbu, like i did.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
but that Mossberg would be pretty expensive, especially considering the initial price, NFA paperwork and then cutting down the barrel and magazine tube (if needed/desired).  might was well just buy a Serbu, like i did.

I hear you. Back when I was the range safety officer at the only slightly illicit Libertarian Party of Alabama machine gun shoot and pork roast (an annual fundraiser we held at a hobby farm owned by one of our congressional candidates), I got the chance to play around with a Shorty. They are neat little things, but I'd rather have the two barrels available simultaneously than have a 2+1 pump.

Besides, how am I supposed to reenact El Dorado with a pump gun?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
paging Reaper arms, Reaper arms you have a phone call on line 1!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Or you could get  one of these and avoid the NFA process altogether: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

(I haven't done the research to be sure about how this would be treated under Nebraska law. So far as I can tell, though, the NRS 28-1201(10) definition of short shotgun mirrors the NFA definition, so this "NFA hack" from Len Savage would probably be good to go here.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:19:33 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
paging Reaper arms, Reaper arms you have a phone call on line 1!

That is what I thought, too. I actually emailed Scott about this yesterday (and again this morning to point him toward this thread).

Offline American Reaper Arms LLC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
We will look into this. Not sure on a timeline though as we have a big move coming up real soon. Help me out and let me know what type of receiver would be best hammerless? ejectors ? brand?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
i've also wanted to do a super short double barrel shotgun for fun, but then again i have a Serbu, so having two AOW's is not feasible when i want other NFA stuff.  but then again if i find a good, but cheap double barrel shotty, i might change my mind.    :D

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
We will look into this. Not sure on a timeline though as we have a big move coming up real soon. Help me out and let me know what type of receiver would be best hammerless? ejectors ? brand?

I am afraid I don't know the specific answers to all of these questions, in part because I don't know much about double guns. I do know what I am interested in as a novice double gun customer, though: hammerless or with rabbit ears, and something that is firmly planted in the affordable end of the price range for this type of shotgun.

I actually really like the stuff that Hatcher Gun makes (linked above); I just don't want to pay $200 for the stamp and then be restricted on temporary interstate transport.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:48:52 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
Speaking of super short barreled side by sides... I've got the 10ga sxs that is eventually gonna go this route, but won't be AOW (has a stock).  In due time :)