< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bennet Shooting - Self Defense or ?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Nnylrac

• NFOA Full Member
Bennet Shooting - Self Defense or ?
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Very limited information being let out by the media.  First reports from kolnkgin's website was that the 21 year old was dating both the mother and the daughter making this look like a jealous father/husband shot him.  Later in the morning the Journal Star put out the information that an arguement started in Lincoln between the 18 year old daughter and the 21 year old boyfriend which continued to the home of the daughter in Bennet.  Father of 18 year old shoots 21 year old.  Self defense?  Interesting also that the boyfriend has a prior conviction for domestic assault regarding another relationship. 

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Lancaster-County-Sheriffs-Office-Investigating-Shooting-in-Bennet--199123791.html

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Bennet Shooting - Self Defense or ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
Nnylrac, thanks for bringing this to my/our attention.,
I will also be awaiting the outcome of this story. Sounds like this could be a textbook case of defense of a family member, especially with the boyfriend's history and if he made any threatening motion toward the daughter. I know where my frame of mind would be, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:13:20 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »
The youth was unarmed.  I am pretty sure an old couple and the daughter could have out numbered and fought off this kid without the use of a firearm.   The priors in this case will not justify the use of deadly force.  The father will loose everything when the attorneys, medical bills, and claims of anguish are all settled.  Shame.   

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:04:13 AM »
Really? You know this because?
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Nnylrac

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »
I agree.  We don't know that the young man was unarmed.  We only know what the media is telling us.  He could have had a knife.  In any case he overpowered the daughter and most likely because of youth would have been able to over power the father.  Past history shows the 21 year old to have some anger issues resulting in his assault conviction.  A lot of unknowns here.  I hope if it was a case if father defending himself/daughter that he does not "lose everything" as Gary has stated. 

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
Thus another compelling reason to be a member of one our sponsors....Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network....

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Agreed, Bullit. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
Thus another compelling reason to be a member of one our sponsors....Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network....
Yep.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »
http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/authorities-break-in-argument-preceded-shooting-by-girlfriend-s-father/article_9ad2caac-f155-5c48-afec-ffc7906ad0e6.html

Looking like this is gonna be justified, waiting to hear if the father will be formally charged or not.

And this is why we need a Castle Doctrine/Victim Protection Law in Nebraska.

If the JS story holds true, the Dad shouldn't have been charged with anything nor arrested... He should be given a medal.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
Verified home invasion- verified low life scumbag put down hard. What's the problem?
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
If this all pans out the way it looks, I would be willing to replenish his .22 supply. (heck right now that's worth more than any medal (metal) )
Heck it could be the reason he only shot the BF twice. At today's "shortage" and prices, a father just can't afford more than a couple rounds per abusive boyfriend.  Oh the good ol' days, why I remember when.... ;) 

(Disclaimer- absolute tongue in cheek comment.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:30:30 PM by NE Bull »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
And this is why we need a Castle Doctrine/Victim Protection Law in Nebraska.

If the JS story holds true, the Dad shouldn't have been charged with anything nor arrested... He should be given a medal.

Agreed.......sadly EC will prevent a castle doctrine from getting anywhere.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »

I was thinking about this very subject earlier this AM.

I need to know who to call...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
I was waiting with baited breath to see how this turned out.

So far looking like how the details are emerging.

Don't care for the fact that he had to defend himself though :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
Verified home invasion- verified low life scumbag put down hard. What's the problem?

If I put myself in dad's shoes: Daughter dating a convicted domestic abuser = "problem".

If dad does not, after this is all over with, say, "See, I told you so...." then an important teaching opportunity will have been missed.

All in all, I think he showed admirable restraint, only shooting the demonstrably violent home invader twice....... I am afraid that if someone assaulted my daughter on my front porch, they'd be asking me why I shot the guy 8 times with a .45 ...... and I'd say something stupid like "'Cuz I don't own a .46 and my .45 only holds 8."

Q:"Why did you shoot a guy that just broke down your front door?" 

A:"Seriously?  You got any more stupid questions?"

If there's Jury in Nebraska that would convict this guy on these charges, there is in fact no hope for America.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:20:39 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52:42 AM »
See... there's questions as to why the arrest was made in the first place, and further questions as to why the **** he hasn't been vacated / exonerated yet.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
I was thinking about this very subject earlier this AM.

I need to know who to call...

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
My fellow NFOA peeps.....some of you in this thread have expressed your opinion on what you would do in a similar incident and/or your opinion of what the BG deserved.  I would advise EXTREME CAUTION in posting some your feelings on this PUBLIC FORUM.  Should you become involved in a SD incident.......even if you are on the side of the angels, make no mistake your words (internet posts included) can and will be used against you. I've noted a few above that you'll really have a hard time explaining to a jury of your "peers" (e.g. Starbucks non-gun owner soccer mom or Uber-left Prius driving UNL professor).  Case law is replete with examples of how your life will be opened up and its going to be a really expensive process to defend.....
With regards to the father's arrest, that is not necessarily outside the norm .....anywhere.   You likely WILL be arrested (HINT HINT...JOIN THE ACLDN  TODAY !!!!).  It will come down to a matter if you will charged with a crime by the County Attorney and/or receive a "No True Bill" by the grand jury

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor