< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Private Purchase  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Xceptiona1

• Forum Member
Private Purchase
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
I understand that if I purchase a handgun from a dealer I need my permit and then have to register at the Omaha PD before I can complete the purchase. Do I do the same process if purchasing from a private owner or can I just show my permit and not register the handgun?

I'm not trying to get away with anything, just not sure of the process. Thank you

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Private Purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
Do you have a Nebraska CHP?

It is my understanding that if you have that, Omaha has diddly squat to say about your guns.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »
You are 'required' to take said legally privately purchased handgun, unloaded, in a case to to the downtown PD office and register it there.
If you hold a CHP, you are exempt from the registration process.  That alone is worth the money and time in obtaining a CHP, IMO.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
That alone is worth the money and time in obtaining a CHP, IMO.
+1

Or take a more expensive route and move out of occupied territory into the free(er) surrounding communities. So glad I live outside of the occupied zone.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
I'd definitely take any legal route that avoids registration. Hell no.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
The above info is all correct, if you live within Omaha city limits.

If you live in a subdivision or other area that has NOT been annexed by Omaha as of yet, you need not register that handgun (again, unless you plan on carrying/transporting the handgun into Omaha).
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.