< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone For A Roadtrip To McCook?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Anyone For A Roadtrip To McCook?
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
Story goes, after WWII, someone ordered lots of ammo buried around McCook. 

Makes a great story.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Anyone For A Roadtrip To McCook?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Like that story:

If there's even a hint of .357Sig in 124gr Jacketed TC/FP in the stash, I'm headin' West.

I remember as a kid seeing post-WWII newsreels about ammo and perfectly usable Jeeps and 4X4s being blown up.

An engineer who worked for me years ago was raised in Austria during WWII.   He said that when the war was just over, he and his buddies would find live grenades from both sides and mess with them.    Throw them off the bridge into the river, stuff like that.

His mom would have a fit when he found guns and brought them home.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
I'd wager that most of it is under Hugh Butler Lake.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
I grew up in mccook until 8.  Take me as a tourist I mean guide.

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
The air base is still there in fact the guy that owns it is making it into a museum.  And hugh butler lake is drained right now due to the dam being rebuilt.  So where could I look if I was to go looking for it.  I have two metal detectors and 3 boys that would help me look. 
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:13:22 PM »
Going to have to go buy candy from mr bill so he can tell me some stories.
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
Mr Bill, ROFL my dad started him in that business with the truck back in the 80s.  Crazy small world.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
East west two lane highway in and out of McCook has vast underground bunkers visible from the highway, stretching for miles and miles.   Hard to believe those hundred (thousands) of storage areas are all empty.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:40:32 PM »
East west two lane highway in and out of McCook has vast underground bunkers visible from the highway, stretching for miles and miles. 

???
My wife's mom was from that area and I've driven between Binkelman and Arapahoe  (on 34/6) several times and never saw anything like the ammo storage bunkers that stretched 8 miles east of Hastings.  I've flown in  and out of the McCook Regional airport, and the small airport at Arapahoe.     I just checked the Google Maps by "driving" east out of McCook  for several miles and couldn't see any bunkers.   Do you have a coordinate?

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
I think he had Hastings NE confused with McCook.  I make trips to McCook every three months and the only thing east of McCook is that big ole cattle feed lot (smells great in the summer).

Hastings has the old Ammo factory that made artillery shells for WW2, Korea and some for Vietnam.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
I think he had Hastings NE confused with McCook.

That's what I thought, but considering the "war" against terror and the battles in  the Mid-East, and how old some Google maps are, I was wondering.   Except for those purchased by businesses, which are closest to highway 6,  nearly all of the bunkers near Hastings have been leveled.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:30 AM »
I don't remember where they are exactly, made the trip to Binkelman several times, and seems to me there were a vast amount of them somewhere along a two lane east west highway.   Most doors closed, a few doors open. 

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03:06 AM »
A person needs to get south of Hwy #6.  Fairfield to Genvil and north to Hastings has lots of bunkers.  Some are used for confinement hogs and other ag uses.  Check out Goggle Earth, you can see the bunkers there.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »
Just got back from McCook.  No bunkers anywhere.  I talked to a couple of old timers, and one said he worked at the old Army Air Base (northwest of McCook a couple of miles) and that everything except the Norden Bombsight bunker are gone.  As stated above, he said they are trying to make that bunker into a museum of sorts.  The oldtimer stated that when they went on breaks they always tried to "find stuff" that wasn't picked up by the military.  He stated that he would have loved to have found a old 50 caliber machine gun, but they just found a few pieces from the Ammo belt.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
A person needs to get south of Hwy #6.  Fairfield to Genvil and north to Hastings has lots of bunkers.  Some are used for confinement hogs and other ag uses.  Check out Goggle Earth, you can see the bunkers there.

As I recall, it looked like some of them, were converted to ag use, as you said.  I also remember them being along a railroad line.