< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Need Some New Stuff To Read  (Read 3027 times)

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
Need Some New Stuff To Read
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
With Grey Geeks post "Why the paperless office is a myth" got me thinking, I need more reading material. With my current gun budget cut pretty slim i need something to do rather than drool over guns i can't afford. Who has read something good?, i haven't read much just some stuff by Jeff Cooper and Massad Ayoob. Who has got some good recommendations, survival and 2nd Amendment oriented of course. Thanks!

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Need Some New Stuff To Read
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
Not exactly RKBA-related, but try "We Meant Well" by Peter Van Buren.  Here's his blog.  http://wemeantwell.com/   The book is both disturbing (in terms of money spent for questionable gain) and very funny in terms of his writing.

Peter was one of the State Department's Foreign Service Officers, working a "provincial reconstruction team" in Iraq.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
+1 for Enemies Foreign and Domestic. Great read, but don't put your hat on too tight.  ;)
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »
I don't know if you're into SciFi or not, but John Ringo has an entire series about a carnivorous alien race who invades earth, and humankind eventually battling back and kicking the butt of the entire galaxy.  They're immensely entertaining, if not terribly highbrow.  Plus, Ringo is ex-Army and a gun guy, so it's one of the few series where you'll read about sniping aliens with a .500 Whisper  ;D .  I want one of those some day.

A Hymn Before Battle is the first book, and there are several spinoffs dealing with other side stories besides the main series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Aldenata

Another great SciFi author (yes, I'm a geek) is Dan Simmons.  Hyperion is the first of a 4 book series and IMO is the best SciFi series ever written, excepting maybe the Dune series by Frank Herbert, and he jumped the shark after the 3rd book or so.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
And I am sure that you have read the "Union Creek Journal" from one of our own famous in house writers.   :P

\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
And I am sure that you have read the "Union Creek Journal" from one of our own famous in house writers.   :P

Famous?  Hardly. :D

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
The Passage, by Justin Cronin.  You won't be sorry.

And of course any of the classic TEOTWAWKI books out there, Atlas Shrugged, World War Z, Babylon, I, Robot etc etc etc...

If you were after Non-Fiction, I can't help much yet...

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
I don't know if you're into SciFi or not, but John Ringo has an entire series about a carnivorous alien race who invades earth, and humankind eventually battling back and kicking the butt of the entire galaxy.  They're immensely entertaining, if not terribly highbrow.  Plus, Ringo is ex-Army and a gun guy, so it's one of the few series where you'll read about sniping aliens with a .500 Whisper  ;D .  I want one of those some day.

A Hymn Before Battle is the first book, and there are several spinoffs dealing with other side stories besides the main series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Aldenata

Another great SciFi author (yes, I'm a geek) is Dan Simmons.  Hyperion is the first of a 4 book series and IMO is the best SciFi series ever written, excepting maybe the Dune series by Frank Herbert, and he jumped the shark after the 3rd book or so.

Great reads as well.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
In the non-fiction category, Col. Dave Grossmans` books "On Combat" an "On Killing" should be required reading for everyone on here.

"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker is also very good.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
Enemies Foreign and Domestic?

THAT sounds interesting, and somewhat prophetic as well!
Enemies Foreign And Domestic review in GUNS Magazine, November 2005:
 A stadium massacre leads to the banning of all semi-automatic rifles, the teaser on the jacket reads. But who really fired the fatal shots, and why? The answer, we learn, involves nothing less than a modern day Reichstag fire, engineered and instigated by an evil and ambitious ATF supervisor and his squad of violent agency misfits. The political fallout of the stadium shooting is a national ban on assault weapons. With free rein to create more domestic terror incidents, and with unprincipled politicians and a complicit media, gun owners are easily demonized as a manipulated public demands more security. All Brad Fallon wanted to do was restore his vintage sailboat, Guajira, take his savings from three years of working the ANWR oil fields, and cruise the world. He hadn't counted on his interest and proficiency in shooting being used to entrap him, or being ultimately forced into covert rebellion against rogue federal agents. But back a man into a corner with other men -- all proficient in modern weaponry, and all unbending believers in liberty -- make it clear that you mean to destroy them, and a most dangerous type of resistance is born: a competent one. Author Matthew Bracken has written a thrilling first novel (did I mention this is also a passionate love story?), one that engages, grips and doesn t let up. He avoids the proselytizing that can plague the liberty genre, and delivers a solid, exciting tale with deep and believable characters. Bracken's background with UDT and SEAL Teams, and as the designer/builder of a cutter that he soloed from Panama to Guam, adds credibility to the technical and tactical details he weaves into the plot. I can't wait for the sequel, scheduled for release early in 2006.
-David Codrea, GUNS Magazine --GUNS Magazine, November 2005[/url]

"Fast and Furious" anyone?  It almost worked.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
It's not gun related, but it is a very interesting and mentally challanging read that exercises the mind.  President Lincoln read it by daylight while riding a mule to his next court engagement, and at night by candle light after his roommates had gone to sleep:

It is Euclid's Elements, and it is on Amazon. 
(EDIT: I tried to include the URL to that book but SMF, the forum engine, rejected it as a "trojan attack"!)

Three thousand years ago the mind of man was as bright, if not brighter, as it is today.  Many people think that Newton derived his three laws using his "fluxions" (calculus) but he did not.  He used the Elements.  This is amazing because the rules for calculations to the Greeks was a straight edge without marks and a compass.  With those two devices one can add, subtract, multiply, divide and find square roots, which is all Newton did.  BTW, Newton's Principia is a great read as well.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
(EDIT: I tried to include the URL to that book but SMF, the forum engine, rejected it as a "trojan attack"!
Actually it is our forum firewall that rejected this Request Entity Attack: %27!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
Well most of the BAEN books free cd's are still online at

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

These are the Free CD's that were inside select Baen hard cover book releases.
They are Free to all as long as you don't charge anything for them.
you can download them in 2 flavors the Full Cd ISO so you can burn your own CD
or the CD Rip file (a Zip file of the whole CD) containing the directorys, books, and images

These contain lots of books from Webber, Drake, Ringo, Flint and other Baen authors. 
Lot's and lot's of good reading all from BAEN books authors.

Titles include:  The Honor Harrington series, the Dahak series, Empire of Man series with John Ringo, the Legacy of the Aldenata series by John Ringo, The Paladin of Shadows series by John Ringo, Voyage of the Space Bubble series by John Ringo, the Ring of Fire Series from Eric Flint, the Belisarius Saga by David Drake,   and other Books by Travis "Doc" Taylor, Tom Kratman, Keith Laumer and Steve White

If you like them please suport BAEN books and buy some.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
it is our forum firewall that rejected this Request Entity Attack

Interesting.  I can't even quote your line and leave that "attack code" in it without triggering the firewall.  But,  you can, so your firewall rules must reflect IP and/or user name info or you wouldn't be able to post it either.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
Yes, admin IP has a pass through setting...

If I could figure out which ones to remove without compromising the firewall, I would remove some of the request entity settings like %26 and %27
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
If I could figure out which ones to remove without compromising the firewall, I would remove some of the request entity settings

I  don't know how much spambot patrolling you have to do, but I have yet to see an errant posting in this forum.  So, either you or your firewall & SMF are doing a good job!   Personally, if it isn't broke I wouldn't fix it!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
I  don't know how much spambot patrolling you have to do, but I have yet to see an errant posting in this forum.  So, either you or your firewall & SMF are doing a good job!   Personally, if it isn't broke I wouldn't fix it!
I cringe though when I see a poster's long post flagged and know it was rejected... I hope at least they had a copy to try and  repost
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
I cringe though when I see a poster's long post flagged and know it was rejected... I hope at least they had a copy to try and  repost
I've  had that happen a couple times.  I was usually able to back up a page and restore what I wrote and the winnow out the offending characters.   That's how I posted that one that was interpreted as escape characters in the Amazon URL link.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »
Ringo

Bkoenig, I have to give you a BIG THANK YOU! for turning me on to John Ringo.    :)

I checked out his trilogy (which concludes with "The Hot Gate").   I could not put them down!  I read through the first one yesterday and finished the second one last night at 4AM.  I am into the third right now.   Ringo has replaced Sawyer as my favorite SF author!

There are nearly a dozen Ringo books in the library here.   Looking forward tor reading them all!