< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Contact your senators and OPPOSE Universal background checks  (Read 902 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Contact your senators and OPPOSE Universal background checks
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
If you've never used Popvox you need to sign up  - it's an easy way to contact congress and let them know where you stand:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s649

Please click OPPOSE and let our Senators know you will not stand for this backdoor registration scheme.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Contact your senators and OPPOSE Universal background checks
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
GOA, NRA and the Hornady website have political contact pages that don't require a signup.

S. 649 is going to be a nasty piece of work and is using school security to get the agenda some emotional leverage.  Just looked up the text of the current bill.

******Here is one of the reasons for agenda:
SEC. 111. REAUTHORIZATION OF NICS ACT RECORD IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM GRANTS.

‘(1) IN GENERAL- There are to be authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section $100,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2014 through 2018.

*******More spending by amending another old bill:
Section 2705 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C. 3797e) is amended--

(1) by striking ‘$30,000,000’ and inserting ‘$40,000,000’; and

(2) by striking ‘2001 through 2009’ and inserting ‘2014 through 2023’.

‘SEC. 509. NATIONAL CENTER FOR CAMPUS PUBLIC SAFETY.

‘(a) Definition of Institution of Higher Education- In this section, the term ‘institution of higher education’ has the meaning given the term in section 101 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1001).

‘(b) Authority To Establish and Operate Center- The Attorney General may establish and operate a National Center for Campus Public Safety (referred to in this section as the ‘Center’).

‘(c) Functions of the Center- The Center shall--

‘(1) provide quality education and training for public safety personnel of institutions of higher education and their collaborative partners, including campus mental health agencies;

‘(2) foster quality research to strengthen the safety and security of institutions of higher education;

‘(3) serve as a clearinghouse for the identification and dissemination of information, policies, protocols, procedures, and best practices relevant to campus public safety, including off-campus housing safety, the prevention of violence against persons and property, and emergency response and evacuation procedures;

‘(4) coordinate with the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Secretary of Education, State, local and tribal governments and law enforcement agencies, private and nonprofit organizations and associations, and other stakeholders, to develop protocols and best practices to prevent, protect against and respond to dangerous and violent situations involving an immediate threat to the safety of the campus community;

Another interesting part:

SEC. 123. LOST AND STOLEN REPORTING.

(a) In General- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end--

‘(aa) It shall be unlawful for any person who lawfully possesses or owns a firearm that has been shipped or transported in, or has been possessed in or affecting, interstate or foreign commerce, to fail to report the theft or loss of the firearm, within 24 hours after the person discovers the theft or loss, to the Attorney General and to the appropriate local authorities.’.

(b) Penalty- Section 924(a)(1) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:

‘(B) knowingly violates subsection (a)(4), (f), (k), (q), or (aa) of section 922;’.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
The nice thing about Popvox is you can easily track all of the bills in Congress, and you can send an email on each individual one rather that a general one.

I still use the Hornady, Ruger, et al services too.  And I email them directly. 

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
I've contacted mine enough times they're probably getting tired of hearing from me, but that won't stop me from continuing to do so.

Does anyone know of a realistic way that there could be universal background checks without universal registration?  This is not the only reason to oppose them, but it is a good one; even if it was the only reason it would be reason enough.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.