< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: what to do with casings?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
what to do with casings?
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
so i have a ton of casings (and i mean a ton, like a couple thousand empty rounds).  some are steel and some are brass.  the sizes are 7.62x39mm, .223 or 5.56, .40S&W and 22LR.

can i get some money for them anywhere?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: what to do with casings?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:13:51 AM »
I beleive Alter metal recycling in Lincoln will take the brass not sure about the metal cases. At least the last time I called they said they did, unfortuantely I think I waited to long as the prices have fallen some.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:14:39 AM »
Just looked at their website and they say "SHELLS, MUNITIONS
(brass shells, munitions casings, etc.)   Segregated from other commodities and discharged or otherwise spent" 
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
I'm sure if you separate the cases(by caliber & steel/brass) that someone here may be interested in it. 
Put up a classified ad.  It'd be a shame to just scrap it all.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
Steel cases are not reloadable, but the brass cases could be sold to people that reload.  Sometimes worth the time to sell, or you can trade for credit at the smaller gunshops.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
Steel cases are not reloadable, but the brass cases could be sold to people that reload.  Sometimes worth the time to sell, or you can trade for credit at the smaller gunshops.

Actually, there have been some people that have reloaded steel cased ammo.  The steel that wolf and others use is pretty soft.  I'm sure it would wear out the dies a little faster, but with the ammo shortage, it may be worth a try.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:28 PM »
ive heard of that recycling plant but could never find the website for it....maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.  ill try looking again.

i may put up a classified ad as soon as i get them counted and put some organization into it.

thanx!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »
How much 223 brass do you have and what do you want for it? I am also in Lincoln
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
The .22LR cases are not reloadable.  They do have value as scrap brass though.  Good on you for not littering. 

7.62x39 steel cases are almost always berdan primed and are, essentially, not reloadable.  Brass cased 7.62x39 has value to reloaders if it's not berdan primed (mil-surp usually is, commercial usually isn't).

1,000 .223 cases should bring between $70-$100. 
NRA Life Member.