< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Powder coat oven  (Read 5831 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Powder coat oven
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
.... to avoid detracting from the ammunition speak in the other thread...

So.  Toaster Oven is tiny.  Gets 50-100 bullets at a time for the really small thing I've got.

Obviously, we want to do more at once!  ... and .... being able to just powder coat other large objects as well would be handy.

110v, something we can put on wheels is in order.  Buying one, stupid expensive.

I want something that's backyard friendly.  Hobby grade stuff, not professional.  Let the pros have their neat toys, I want something *I* can use!

http://www.profabnet.net/showthread.php?40-110v-powder-coat-oven

110v powder coat oven

A FYI for everyone, I got so sick of using an toaster oven because of being limited to items of being 12"X13" only So I built my own, it cost me just under a hundred bucks.
My materials were 1 1/2 sheets of 20G sheet($41.36) Brinkman 1500W smoker element off eBay for 20 bucks. One package of24"x48"x 4" rock wool insulation caught on sale for 30 bucks, and got the light switch and socket, door seals,terminal block, and temp controls out of a junk ovens(free) used a digital thermometer to check the setting to be sure, Oven get to 457 degrees in about 45 minute, which I figure is not bad since it is almost 3 cubic feet inside My oven inside is 19"wide 19" deep and 39" tall , outside is 24"x28"48"

There are pics, but ya gotta register for their forum and all that.  meh... not in the mood and I imagine it's not necessary.

So.... we've got some sheet metal, rock wool insulation, light switch, socket, terminal block ... all easy enough from hardware store.

Brinkman 1500W smoker element

... hmmmmm ...

temp controls out of a junk ovens

... hmmmm ....

Okay.  So we need a heating element and temperature control stuff that is preferably set and forget (auto).  I don't have any complaints with manually turning an element on / off by hand to regulate temperature, but something that's automated just seems safer (less accident prone).  "Off an old junk oven" doesn't really seem to be something that "anyone can do"...

Thoughts on a 1-1.5kw heating element ?

Thoughts on temperature controls ?

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Powder coat oven
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
Looks like a box with maybe one or two cheapy hot plates might work.... and a $5 dial oven thermometer to monitor stuff heh.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 03:06:31 AM »
Did some pricing.

Rock / Mineral wool insulation.  Good to 2000F, 4x24x48 'sheets', covers 40 sqft (5 sheets?) - $45.

Outdoors steel / sheet metal siding that's ^---^--^--^ ridged shaped or whatever.... 96" x 38" 29ga 19.50

A 24x24x36 4 pack of duct work sheet metal $56.

Still drywall studs or tracks range from 1 5/8" to 3 5/8" and cost from $3-$6 each.

24x48 26ga sheet metal in welding area: $26

Angle iron / things / etc range from $6 to $25.

A single burner 1000w 110v '5th burner' is $15 (menards).

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
Seeing as how coming up with a decent price on metal is difficult... at least in the cheap bastard that I am ... gonna toy with the thought of a wood and other materials build.

ODF panels or anything else based on glue is off limits - they can ignite at 400F.

Gonna try out a cheap 1x4's in the toaster oven to see what it does at 400-450F.  If it fails, it'll be on trying some birch wood or birch plywood to see what it does.  Not too keen on the plywood as it has glue in it.

We use Foamular insulation sheets here at work for prototyping design builds and stuff... I've got a small square of it I'll throw into the oven as well (both directly on a pan and also lifted off of the pan for a bit. Foamular is cheap.

Gypsum, Cement, and several other non-wood boards don't burn, so they have possibilities as an internal liner as well.  And they're cheap.

White styrofoam (expanded polystyrene) has a melting point of 450F or so.... so it's on the off limits side of things.  Kinda sad - it's cheap heh.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
I've priced this out again, and I hit $110 or so before getting into electronics and still missing a thing or two. (exterior of 24x24x36).

If ya build it to say 36x36x48, you get 3 times the internal volume - but only add another 20-30% to the costs (not including electronics).

I am so not happy about the cost of this.  There's gotta be a way to bring it down substantially while remaining rebuildable-by-others.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Not sure what I am missing here, but why not just use your average $50 used electric oven from Craigslist?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
Not sure what I am missing here, but why not just use your average $50 used electric oven from Craigslist?

I was thinking the same thing.... are most ovens 110v or 220v? I know they have a larger amp plug on them..  i can see if you want a larger oven building your own.

Unfy

Do you think by going larger you will need to add a slower to keep your heat equalized through the chamber?

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
OR, you could even got for "FREE" on Craig's List.....

stove (Yutan/ West Omaha)

Free stove to use or for scrap. Oven and two of the burners work fine, but the two large burners do not. It is a General Electric, white and black, electric stove that is about 5 years old. It needs a good cleaning, but it's free. 402-625-2659.

212 rose ave  (google map) (yahoo map) 
•do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 4261948712
posted: 4 days ago

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Most ovens are 220v.

I've seen some 110v stores.  The price to oven size ratio was horrible though.

Need to cook some pink stuff to see how it handles

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
Most ovens are 220v.

Ok that makes more since...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »
Grabbed some mineral wool from Menards - $20 for 15"x47"x3.5"x5.  Also picked up one of their fifth burner / stand alone electric hot plate thing.  It looks to be all metal which is interesting.

Been thinking about a shell and haven't really come up with much.

Metal siding at $15 for 8 feet by 30 some inches aint too bad.  Sadly, it aint a flat sheet.

I imagine an old washer or dryer would be an acceptable shell.  Of course, this doesn't address the inside walls.

Of course, being what it is - Take an kind of outside shell (washing machine or the metal siding) ... and for an inside shell - just use chicken wire and perhaps metal window screen.  It's not like the inside wall has to be astounding - all it's doing is holding back the insulation.

Hmmmm.  Seems like a cheap possibility.  Although I need to finalize my dimensions again.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »
You might try to locate an oven from an RV. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
An RV oven aint a bad idea.

There's a junk yard kinda near me I'll have to pay it a visit eventually.

Went to a thrift store today to just take a stab at finding some pewter, think I found some.  Will find out more later (this doesn't react to a magnet at least).  Also grabbed another toaster oven to either play with or to use as is or to destroy heh.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »
How hot do you need this oven to get?  250*?  400*?  600*?

How many cubic foot capacity are you looking for?

I have an idea bouncing around in my head...   :laugh:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
How hot do you need this oven to get?  250*?  400*?  600*?

How many cubic foot capacity are you looking for?

I have an idea bouncing around in my head...   :laugh:

How hot ? 400f.

Size ? It's a matter of being able to relatively easily move it around (on wheels or not).  But big enough to be 'useful'.  My current plan was something like 30x24x30. I can go bigger or smaller or whatever, it all depends on cost of shell or inner walls etc.

Inner walls - i like the chicken wire & metal window screen idea.

I'll be chopping up the $5 toaster oven i picked up today.  It'll become parts for aluminum melting stuff.  It has some high temp hook up wire in it, and the elements .... well... I dunno if I'll try to make something or not.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Craig's list has a clothes dryer in millard for $30.

Take the motor and heating element out of it --

The motor, if it's 110, i'd like to use to spin a drum of some kind (either the dryer drum or a 5g bucket or something).

The heating element assuming it's electric ? melting metal possibly.

The metal shell ? powder coat oven ?

I don't have a 2 wheeler / hand truck / dolly.  Sooooo can't exactly go fetch it at the moment :(.  Might borrow one from work.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
That dryer will be 240v.   

I was thinking of an electric smoker, the "mini-fridge" sized ones like a Masterbuilt(I have one, but you ain't getting it... ;))

Something like this, but I don't think it could handle 400* F and seems like it would be too small.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Mini fridges aint bad.  Ties in to the RV ovens, too.

As far as the smoker - wood can ignite around 400F IIRC so it's unlikely to hit that. I think ? Hmmm.

As far as dryer motor - I've heard that the motors can be 110 - that generally everything is 110 except when temp is set to 'high' and that the elements then get fed 220.

Listening to state of the union.  Ugh :(

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
I'll be picking up the dryer tomorrow.

Sincerely hoping it'll turn out to be a decent shell for the PC oven.  And hoping the drum motor is 110v for other things (a ball mill / rock polisher like thing is the target).

I'll have to eyeball the internals of the dryer concerning 110 vs 220 stuff (assuming it's electric).  If it's true that it only hits the elements with 110 on 'low' cooling - I wonder how hot it gets without the fan going (ie: PC heating element ?).  Whatever. Figure it out all over the weekend - or at least start to.  Got that other project going on too.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
Have dryer.  It's in good shape, almost hate to destroy it.  It is indeed electric.  Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll start taking it apart.  In the mean time - there is nomming to be done and firebrick to be grooved for aluminum melting furnace.