< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The CHALLENGE  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
The CHALLENGE
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »
LOL..this was a challenge done on a couple of other forums. With all the people saying that their rifle (semi-auto only) would shoot .500" ALL DAY LONG, a guy come up with this `challenge`; shoot 30 rnds. 5 rnds. at 6 targets on the same paper, 100 yards..hehe, I didn`t do too bad and feel like I should be able to do better. DPMS Bull Twenty, JP trigger, Burris 4.5-14 x 42 in PEPR mount.
Not so easy as many would think.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
Re: The CHALLENGE
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
mmmm... that sounds like fun i might have to take the DPMS out...and my M1 and see what i can do

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
Thats all it was about..FUN, I never been one to brag, but this rifle has shot some amazing groups.
Look at targets 2&5, take away them darn flyers and put them in with the rest..oh well.
In honesty, I have tried a couple of times to better my first try and didn`t do as good. Crazy, I had not had this rifle out of the safe for 6 months prior and shot the best groups..go figure.
These loads (pictured) are 60g Sierra HP with Benchmark and Rem. 7&1/2 primers. Accurate 2230 has produced amazing groups too. Best groups ever with this rifle though were 50g V-Max and Accurate 2460, but I have tried numerous times and not been able to make them work again. Different batch of powder might be the cause, so I have 20 or so rounds loaded up with Benchmark(&V-Max) to try out when the day is right.
Go for it man give it a try! There were some other rules but that don`t matter..hmm; no rifle rest, use bi-pod or sand bags, no cleaning between groups, a time limit..I dont recall what it was but this took me about 1/2 hour for a little cool down between groups.
have fun!

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
There is Mine! 60g V-Max,Varget and CCI Mil-Spec primers. Not bad not great...used sand bags...I bought a wally world cheapo rifle rest and after messing around with the Mosin in it there is not much left of it :laugh: Time was a little longer than yours...i started at 8 and dang there was a chill in the air...gave up after the 4th group and got some breakfast came back and finished.  I will have to try this agian with AR-Comp, I use it in the mini 14 and it made a huge difference.

Oh it's a DPMS lower, RRA lower parts kit and a DPMS Oracle Upper. I built it for the wife and got me another lower but with the current prices of AR parts and accessories i will wait to finish my build later. Enjoy!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
I have always thought that 5 shot groups are deceptive measures of an ammo's capability. Try 10 shot or 20 shot groups and then the groups become  much more indicative of actual performance

Hornady 68gr Match group was shot from prone position with a bipod

The 55gr SPP load is my plinking round fired from the bench with a bipod

Obviously I am not the best rifle shot from either position
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
Thats cool you guys. I have a Oracle model also (a kit rifle I put together) and I don`t know if it will do that good. I did recently load 500 rounds of 40 Nosler BT for it, so I`ll give it a 20 rnd group  like Dan suggest.
I have a 20" RRA Bull Barrel, gas block, gas tube and FF guard for another build but who knows when the remaining parts will be avaliable. I planned on 68g match bullets for that upper being 1/8 twist.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
Well, I don't have any rifles capable of shooting .5 MOA consistently so I won't enter the challenge.

Best I have is my Remington 700 in .308 Win.  I haven't really done any load development, but it's at least a sub-MOA rifle.  The only group I have a picture of is the first one after breaking in the barrel.  I did get it down to .75", but I'm hoping with some heavier bulets and match primers it can do better.

My 3 gun upper will shoot pretty much right at 1 MOA consistently.  I'm guessing my Rock River National Match upper would do better, but it's an A2 upper so it doesn't really lend itself to optics mounting.  I can hold about 2 MOA from prone with it when I'm slung up good and tight.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:22:48 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »
That definately looks promising bkoenig. I have a new Mod. 70 (300 Win.) that I have not fooled with much, other than shoot/clean a few times. I have some heavier bullets for it too..heavier than the ones I was using. Have some 180g Hornady to try.