< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Neck Sizing vs FL Sizing?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
Neck Sizing vs FL Sizing?
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
Relatively new to reloading (a year or so, and a few thousand rounds), and am trying to squeeze my 30-06 groups down. Am curious what the more experienced guys think about neck sizing only? In looking online, I see about a 50/50 split between between people who use a specific neck-sizing die and people who use a FL sizing die backed out so it doesn't push the case shoulder.

Has your experience shown more consistency with neck sizing only? What method do you use?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Neck Sizing vs FL Sizing?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
I use a dedicated neck sizing die on my bolt guns.  For my AR's I full length size, as I have had problems with reliability when running neck sized brass in autoloaders.  I have tried neck sizing with a FL die backed off, but it doesn't seem to work well.  You end up with a partially sized neck, and if you adjust the die down to size the whole neck it ends up sizing the whole case.

I do feel it helps accuracy, but for me the big advantage is increased case length.  I shoot a lot of old surplus rifles in rimmed calibers, and full length sizing really shortens your case life.  In .303 British you're lucky to get more than 2-3 loads from a full length sized case, but with neck sizing you can get a lot more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:31:13 PM by bkoenig »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
Neck Sizing.........

of bottlenecked cartridges [.17Rem, .223Rem, .22-250, .30-06] is all I ever do, because.........

I recycle these cartridge cases back through the very same bolt action rifle each time they are reloaded.   In that way they are custom fireformed to fit the very same chamber over and over.   On some batches, I've used a Sharpie marking pen to dot-mark the "this-side-up" orientation, just in case the chamber was reamed at the factory on the Third Shift or by the New Guy.   Most reloaders know that FL sizing works the brass; no point in doing so if not needed.

Neck sizing can be performed two ways
:
1)   Use FL Die, but only insert cartridge case partially, enough to size most of the neck, but not all of it.   This method will usually not size the entire neck, because the tapered part of the case will soon meet up against the sizing die.   And then you start FL sizing.

2)  Break Down and Buy a Hornady Neck Sizing Die, which will.........only size the neck.    Because it's made such way.   You'll need one for each caliber you shoot/reload.

Most all reloaders know that FL sizing is needed when reloaded ammo may be used in different rifles of the same caliber.    And maybe in .223 semi-autos w/fast firing.

And there's more to it, but that's enuf to answer your basic question.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:35:48 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
Yeah, I have not fooled with my neck size dies enough to see if it makes much difference in terms of accuracy. I been too involved with auto loading rifles to get a chance to shoot the BA`s.
I am sure it will improve the life of your brass so thats a plus. I have been told that a person may need to full length size after a few firings if extraction becomes difficult.
Not sure how many competitive BR shooters frequent here, but it might be great idea for a advanced reloading class, where we could learn about, neck turning, straight line bullet seaters, bullet run out(?).

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
My best ammo has been made with a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die.  Groups are tighter and the Chrony sez the SD is smaller.

Brass lasts longer, as well.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »
Thanks guys. It sounds like the more experienced guys neck size for accuracy and increased case life (which is why I'm looking at doing it). Also sounds like backing out a FL die may work, but not as well as a dedicated neck sizing die.

I am only looking at doing it for the BA, the autoloader will continue to get FL sizing.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »
I see Hornady and Lee have both been mentioned for neck sizers.  What about RCBS?  I picked one of those up awhile back but have yet to use the dedicated neck sizer. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
I have an RCBS neck sizer in 7.62x54R and it works just fine.