< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Get Your NRA Instructor Certification and Help the Boy Scouts!  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
I know a number of you either went through the BSA as a young man or were a mom or a dad of a son who went through the BSA and you know what a great program it is.  Recently, the Boy Scouts have been working on revamping and turbo charging their shooting sports program and here in Nebraska they need your help.

First off, let me do some back patting.  You guys totally rock and stepped up with your .22LR ammo donations to help the local councils when their ammo lockers are dry and the store shelves are bare.  You guys make me proud to be an NFOA member.  And if you haven't donated ammo, but still want to, you still can.  Check out this thread.

Another challenge our local councils in Nebraska have are more boys interested in learning to shoot than they have Range Safety Officers (RSOs) to run enough ranges.  That's a good problem to have, eh?  I think that the NFOA can step up to the plate again and further help out our local BSA councils.  I've met with Don (UPCrawfish here on the NFOA forum) and he explained to me that he and another scouting buddy are heading up the Mid America Council's shooting sports program and are both NRA-certified Instructor Instructors.  They teach the teachers, and to be an RSO in the BSA, you need to have your NRA Instructor certification.  He and his partner are trying to get more RSOs certified before their Top Shot competition coming up on October 25-27 that will be held at the scout camp in Little Sioux, IA.

Don and his partner are offering heavily discounted NRA Instructor classes in rifle, handgun, and shotgun in exchange for a commitment to help with RSOing with your local BSA council.  He can provide details in this thread, but I thought this was an excellent opportunity for NFOA members to show support for the shooting sports in Nebraska and for the firearm safety and marksmanship education of the next generation of the gun culture.  If we have enough people interested, Don said they could run a class specifically for the NFOA members looking to volunteer.

Don, would you please provide further details on what you are looking for, what volunteering with the BSA involves, and where you hold classes?

Everyone else, please post to this thread if you're interested in signing up to get your NRA Instructor certification and in helping out our local Boy Scouts (current NRA Instructors interested in volunteering should also post here so Don can add you to his RSO head count).

Okay, I'll start that list off; count me in!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Get Your NRA Instructor Certification and Help the Boy Scouts!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
I'm interested. Would this be Saturday/Sunday type stuff?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:40:02 PM by NENick »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
I already have. I was in the inaugural group. And I can tell ya'll Don and Denny and Co. are top notch folks.  Great , knowledgeable instructors and are hell bent on giving these boys a great shooting sport program.
There are a few of us that have already stepped up, but, as life goes, we cannot always work every event or every camp and a few more folks to help spread that about would be great.  I'll let Don do some e'splaining now.   
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline webtrekker

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
I'd be very interested, just need to know more of the specifics.  Aside from helping RSO BoyScout events, having the NRA instructor cert would help me as I start a Shooting Sports ministry at my church.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
What would be the date of this?  I am preregistered for this class with an out of state instructor at the end of the month, through the NRA website.  That is a Don also, from Minnesota, I think.

Offline huskersforever

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
I am in, hopefully it would be a Sat/Sunday thing or during the summer months!! I will be there!!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »
I'd be very interested, just need to know more of the specifics.  Aside from helping RSO BoyScout events, having the NRA instructor cert would help me as I start a Shooting Sports ministry at my church.

I'm interested, too. As I mentioned earlier, I worked shooting sports at Salmen Scout Reservation for two summers back in the 90s, and I would like to get involved again.

Offline kurtbec

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
Sign me up as well.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
If the date(s) are right I am 100% interested!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:15:57 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Man, I wish I had the time.  Too many irons in the fire right now.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
I was planning on going for Basic Pistol instructor in May. Let me know the plans.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
I am interested, been getting into shotgun since my daughter got started and it would be a good chance for me to learn some new things and become a better shooter.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Wesley - Andy, et al......

I am in the process of putting together an information post and will try to get it out this weekend about RSO Training, the BSA / NRA training program I am involved in for NRA Shotgun / Rifle and Pistol Instructor ratings.  Where we are doing our training classes - how long each class is (by NRA requirements) - how often we conduct classes - estimated private vs commercial class costs - ....   Information that I hope can answer most, if not all of your questions.  So, please bear with me and I'll get that out soon....

Now have to go load the truck for a 3-day BIT (Basic Instructor Training) class and a NRA Rifle class this weekend.....   Hope I have internet where the class is being held  ::)

Don Williamson

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
I am a NRA basic pistol instructor and RSO.  Just looking for a place to put those credentials to work.  Let me know how I can help.  Logistics may be a hurdle, but I jump hurdles.  PM me for my phone number
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
I am interested...............need more info.
Where, When, and how much?
I am retired and have too much time on my hands

George
Endowment Life NRA member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
Got an email about the training today, said to come to this thread to get more details.

What would be the likely date of this training?

What would be the cost of this training?

What dates do you wish covered for boy scout training, and at what location?  Accommodations for this scouting event? (I have a fifth wheel)

I am interested, but in a week or so, I will be committing to another NRA training session, unless I get a conformation on this training.   

I would still be interested in helping the scouts, even if I get the certification on my own.

I remember a boys camp I went to, at 12.  They had one old wore out .22 that was fastened to a post, and would only aim at the target.  The councilors were not into it, the equipment was junk, and the whole event was terrible.  I would very much like to see something for the scouts that goes better than my memories of shooting at camp.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
For everyone with questions on the details, I just got off the phone with Don (UPCrawfish) and he's finishing up a stack of NRA paperwork for a weekend-long instructor training he held this past weekend.  After he finishes that, he'll post an itemized list details on the what, where, and when of this NFOA-BSA teaming.  So feel free to post that you're interested and understand that in the next day or so, Don will post answers to the questions you likely have.  Thanks for being patient, and thanks for your interest! 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline BeerGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
I am an Eagle Scout and haven't been involved with the Scouts since I earned Eagle. I'd love to get involved in this. Looking forward to the details.

Offline Mike

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
I'd like to check it out,  I vounteer for a lot of other NRA stuff and would like to get involved with the shooting sports and instructor training.  I had a lot of great times when I was a Scout and I'd like to give back.  Let me know!

Offline pepzman

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
I am interested in helping out as well. Please let us know the details when you can!

Dave