< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cowboy Lever Gun  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Cowboy Lever Gun
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:07 AM »
OK, now I have a "legal" CB lever action rifle for the new match out at Ike's. Although I still think my 1895 Winchester is being unfairly discriminated against I have decided to give in. ::) And it was a good excuse to buy another vintage rifle! ;D
I picked up this sixties vintage Marlin in 35 Remington at a fair price. Its has some fixable issues but over all its in good enough condition to shoot. I am going to get going on loads but it will be a bit of a horse race to see if I can get a cast load worked up in time for the first match next month. Loading components are so darned hard to come by, like everything else gun related these days. Even in the more obscure cartridges like this one.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Cowboy Lever Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
Wildgoose, I don't think that ugly old two-bit gun is gonna work wortha dang out there on the range.  I hope ya'll didn't pay too much fer it.  Tell ya what, I'ma willin' to help ya out and give you double what it's worth, say $200? to take it off yer hands before somebody makes a fool of ya.   8)
Meet up tonight?   :P ;D :laugh:

Ok, seriously, what sights you running on that fine specimen?

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Nice looking gun.  The old Marlins are built much better than the new ones.  Looks like you have the same Williams sights as I have on my Marlin.  I need to get a smaller aperture for mine.

Good luck finding components.  I was able to find 38-55 brass at Buffalo Arms, so maybe they'll have some 35 Remington. 

I still think you should have used your Guide Gun  ???

Bull, are you going to come shoot this game with us?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:36:50 PM by bkoenig »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
Maybe at a later date. I have no bare boolits to load.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
I don't think cast bullets are actually required, but I could be wrong.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Well it went BANG! ;D And my cast bullet load looks like it just might do the job. Five shot group at 50 yards off a rest. Now if I can just get the rest of the sight settings before next Saturday. Hate to sight in during a match but it may come to that. Things have come together pretty fast but still a lot to be done.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
Cast and lubed a bunch of boolits for the .38-55, I still need to run them through the sizer and then load them up.  I have about this many again already sized.  Since I can't do anything the easy way this is turning out to be about as much work as BPCR.

Speaking of which, I really should try this with about 45 grains of FF.