< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Something New - Caliber and Firearm Guides  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Something New - Caliber and Firearm Guides
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
So, I have been asked by many new and potential new shooters about what kind of gun to get and what caliber would be best for them. I have also been asked, and asked others myself, about different models of firearms that might be an interesting purchase. Soooo...... I got to thinking, how about if we start accumulating a database of various calibers and firearms. What I want to do is to is describe and hopefully photograph different calibers, loads, bullets, and firearms so that if someone is thinking about making a new purchase, they could browse through the categories or search for specific phrases to compare and contrast what they are looking for. Make sense? Please feel free to add any of your favorite calibers or firearms to the guides.

Please, do not post any comments about anything listed in the guides as that will clutter it up too much. Comments can be made in the general firearm section. It's gonna take a while to get a usable amount of information up, so feel free to post away! Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:56:11 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Something New - Caliber and Firearm Guides
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
OOPS.............. sorry
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
LOL

If oops meant you replied here, then that would have been OK. PLEASE DO reply here. What I meant was if someone post info about an SKS, please dont' post something under it like "everyone should have one of these" or "what junk", or "I used to own 10 of these". I want the guides to just be posts adding calibers or firearms to the lists. The "what junk" posts can go anywhere else on the board.

I know what I want to say, but I'm not sure if I'm saying it right.....

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
No, under the Caliber guide for semi-auto pistols, I threw in a question for "favorite handload for 9mm using 115gr bullets"..........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:07:47 PM »
I think I'll add a section for questions and discussion in each category. We'll work the bugs out of it as we get going.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »
Ok, actually, I ended up setting it up a little differently then I had originally planned, so I think it will work out OK to add info to and comment on calibers and firearms in the guides. I think it will work out better this way. If not, we can always change it!

Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
I really like this idea. In fact, I just posted up a quick guide. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to come. ;)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
OK, I am slowly getting some ammunition info posted. I think this will be a great source of info, especially for new shooters. As soon as it starts warming up, I want to build an actual bullet testing center so that I can post pics of penetration and bullet deformation. I will then go back and add the pics to the threads. If anyone already has any pics from testing you may have done on your own, please feel free to post them. This is going to take alot of time and effort, but I think the payoff will be worth it.