< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hitting The Range  (Read 854 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Hitting The Range
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
Been going to Big Shots to shoot a half hour a day, a few days this week.  Going again today.

My goal is to get this group a little tighter, and keep them all in the blue.

15 meters, shooting a Taurus model 922, 9 shot .22 revolver, 8 & 1/2" barrel, range ammo, at $3 a box of fifty.  Not a bad price these days.  Half hour on their ammo is less than $20.  Cheap entertainment.

Having a good time shooting again. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:47:43 AM by Gary »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Hitting The Range
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Gary:

One of those 1" diameter blaze orange target dots over that   X   will pull your group in quite a bit.

Gives you something specific for aimpoint, instead of the whole blue area.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
Thank You!

My eyesight is an issue.  When I go straight vision, the target is clear, and the sights are fuzzy, and when I shoot with mild reading glasses, the sights are clear and the target is fuzzy.

I do best with sharp sights and fuzzy target.

I think your idea will help! 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
Gary:

We're pretty much in the same boat, eyesight-wise.

FWIW, Dr. Bill Schlichtimeier [a former Olympic pistol shooter and Omaha area opthmalogist] prescribed a set of shooting glasses for me where the smaller farsighted ground-in lens is at the top of the main lens instead of the bottom.   Bifocals-upside-down, actually.

So I use the sharp sights to shoot into the Middle of the Fuzzy.

Works pretty well for target shooting.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Nice shooting!

I can't remember the guy's name (may be the same Doctor SFG is referring to) but the Optometrist who works out of Len's Crafters at Oak View mall is a shooter and will understand what you're saying when you mention fuzzy sights/clear target and vica-versa.

But yeah, I agree with you, if faced with a choice, I prefer clear sights, fuzzy target  :-\

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
I am 56, and have never had an eye exam. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I don't walk, I run from Doctors.  Broken leg, go see one.  Big cut somewhere, go see one.  Tooth screaming at me, go see one.

Anything else, lump, pain, fuzzy, press on.  The average age of people that never see doctors, when they finally turn room temperature is 86.  The average age of Doctors that see Doctors is 56.