< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Herter's brand .223 Ammo  (Read 1795 times)

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
Herter's brand .223 Ammo
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
I recently picked up some .223 ammo manufactured by Herter's. Herter's was a company that was originally based in Minnesota. The name was purchased by a Russian company who now manufactures the ammo.

I loaded 20 rds in 30 rd mags and gave it a test. In two mags I had four incidents where the next round wouldn't feed. They do not use a brass for the casing and what ever they do use it's extremely rough and I'm fairly certain that's the problem with it feeding. The round would just get out of the magazine and stick. A quick pull of the charging handle would put the round into the chamber.

I shoot a Ruger SR556C with Magpul magazines. The gun has had less than 300 rds shot through it and I keep it clean so I'm fairly certain is isn't the equipment causing the problem. Haven't had any issues with any other ammo used.

Just wanted to pass this on.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Herter's brand .223 Ammo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »
I've had problems with their .223 also. FTE on third round of mag. I was firing single shots then fiddling with red dot in between, on my Benelli MR-1. Casing stuck in chamber so tight I had someone at range try to help get it out. A rod down the barrel wouldn't budge it. I was told the lacquer on steel casing essentially "super-glued" itself when heat from barrel warmed it up. Broke it down at home and used a steel rod and a dozen bad intention hammer swings to break it loose. Never had a similar problem with their steel pistol ammo, but might just be the Benelli which get REAL hot or possibly Russian "quality Control"

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
I'll be more than happy to buy up whatever steel-cased .223 you have left over and don't want. 

My AR's and Saiga's love that stuff.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »
You get what you pay for if you are dealing with reputable people.

The Rus have a different value set when evaluating one's reputation, methinks.......

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the bullets are steel jacketed, and the powder is foul and fast burning.....  and that one lot of "Herter's" .223 may or may not be made of the same components as the the next...... 
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline fishguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »
I shoot this stuff religously, so if you ever want to get rid of any, PM me. My mini 14 and AK's love the stuff. I have never had any problems with them.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
Interesting, my Mini 14 runs well on Herter's ammo.

bigdog