< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: This warms the cockles of my heart!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
This warms the cockles of my heart!
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
As a retired Kubuntuforums.net admin and a Linux user since 1998, this use of Linux as a targeting tool is exciting.  (But the price isn't!).
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/03/bullseye-from-1000-yards-shooting-the-17000-linux-powered-rifle/?utm_source=Ars+Technica+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e04b026567-September_02_2011_Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Here's a link to the demo video of a shot at 1,008 yards.
http://bcove.me/ljbd3v8d

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: This warms the cockles of my heart!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
As a retired Kubuntuforums.net admin and a Linux user since 1998, this use of Linux as a targeting tool is exciting.  (But the price isn't!).
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/03/bullseye-from-1000-yards-shooting-the-17000-linux-powered-rifle/?utm_source=Ars+Technica+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e04b026567-September_02_2011_Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Here's a link to the demo video of a shot at 1,008 yards.
http://bcove.me/ljbd3v8d

I was more of a DOS jockey than any kind of skilled *nix operator, but I telneted or SSH'd into a Solaris box at Auburn University all the time to check my email between '99 and '04. The text-based email reader available from a command line was way faster than the web-based mail system that I would have had to use otherwise.

I briefly ran a dual-boot Win '98/Slackware system, but nowadays the only *nix system I use regularly is my Android smartphone.

Anyway, cool post. Thanks for sharing.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
The text-based email reader available from a command line was way faster

Way faster indeed.  I used to boot into and run from a bash shell.  The concept then was that there was a small, fast, dedicated utility or script which did a specific task and no more. (It took Windows to introduce the concept  of "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" in an app, which created tons of redundancies and bloat, to say nothing of being slower than a tortise.)   To do more than one thing on a set of data one would use the pipe command ("|") and string the utilities together, piping the output from one into the input of the next, until you got what you wanted.  Extremely fast, extremely easy ... IF ... you could remember the names of the utilities (exact spelling and case) and the many parameters (also called "switches") that came with each utility.  It was good mental exercising and those with the best and most accurate memories did the best.

Since  my memory has gone bye-bye, a good KDE desktop servers me well.

That targeting system on that rifle was something else.   What a lot of people do not realize is that Linux is written under the GPL (General Public License).   The only way they could charge $17K for that system would be if the money were tied up in the electronics and mechanics.  Linux itself is free.  And, since it comes with the system the GPL requires that the seller give to the buyer the exact source code that produced the version of Linux, and any other GPL utilities, that are running on the sighting system the buyer purchased. A lot of developers  by pass the version 2 of the GPL  by using   version 3,  which allows proprietary binaries to be called by the Linux kernel, and other binaries and/or shell scripts, without having to reveal the source  code of those proprietary binaries.   But, that doesn't matter to me.  IF I could afford to fork over $17K for that rifle and targeting system I  would.  Once the target is tagged it can move and the shooter can move the rifle, but once the shooter presses the trigger the system computes the trajectory from the predicted target position and the predicted gun position and when a firing solution matches up the trigger solenoid is actuated.   I hope folks noticed that for the fellow who was shooting the rifle it was the first time he had ever shot any firearm.  And to hit dead center on a pie  plate target at 1008 yards is phenomenal.  It makes him a world class sniper.

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
I predict it will be declared illegal within another year. At least for private ownership. The progressives just haven't discovered that it exists yet. They are still trying to figure out the difference between a magazine, a bullet and a clip!

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
They are still trying to figure out the difference between a magazine, a bullet and a clip!

Apparently they have it figured out....

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:27:09 AM »
Apparently they have it figured out....

From her comments... "I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”

I wonder if Diana DeGette sells her car every time it runs out of gas.

???  ???  ???  ???  ???
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
I understand that I may be a bit more educated about firearms due to interest. However, it disappoints me how ignorant elected officials can be. It makes me wonder if they possess any sort of background that makes them suitable to determine what laws should be created or be allowed to spend tax money.

This woman apparently went to the Joe Biden school of firearm use and safety. Total ignorance. Inability to form a complete sentence. We need to elect smarter politicians.

I am concerned about CO...The do have their share of gun incidents, but more a problem with ignornant public officials at all levels.

“My question is: What about me?” the Denver citizen asked Rep. DeGette, arguing against limiting magazine capacity. “There may not be one bad guy that comes into my house… I have to change magazines? I am a serious disadvantage.”

“What about me?” he repeated.

After arrogantly smirking at his question, DeGette replied: “The good news for you, you live in Denver. The [Denver Police Department] would be there within minutes.”

“You’d probably be dead anyway if they had that kind of firepower,” she added

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »
I predict it will be declared illegal within another year. At least for private ownership.

I agree.  And, the military will more than likely adopt it in  their sniper training and declare it a national secret.   Who knows how much tweaking would be necessary to give it a 2,000 or 3,000 yard range, or longer,  with similar accuracy in the hands of a trained sniper.  IF a complete noob on his first shot ever with any firearm can hit a pie plate at 1,008 yards ...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
The fact that it runs linux is moot.  Most embedded projects these days run a variation of linux.  So that tout is 'meh' (do note, I've ran linux since 1996 ... still love me some Slackware <3).

That said, I was wondering when someone was going to do this in a commercial rifle.  It 'only makes sense' after all.  Take rounds loaded to a known value, add a range finder, add some optical recognition stuff for knowing when things are on target, etc.  That said, making a stable working system out of all of this is quite applaudable <3.

Arstechnica is usually better about details but this story was a tad lacking IMHO.  But, I'd venture the company behind it didn't wanna say too much :).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D