< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Furniture Mart to allow concealed guns  (Read 2297 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska Furniture Mart to allow concealed guns
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
Neb. Furniture Mart to allow concealed guns
Published  4:44 PM CDT Apr 11, 2013

OMAHA, Neb. —One of the biggest retailers in Omaha, the Nebraska Furniture Mart, is changing its policy to allow shoppers to carry concealed weapons as long as they the proper permit.

Read more at: http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Neb-Furniture-Mart-to-allow-concealed-guns/-/9674510/19716968/-/13rctskz/-/index.html     

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Nebraska Furniture Mart to allow concealed guns
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
Great news! I have boycotted the store and refused to even enter it since I moved to Omaha.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
I read that one too, and was shocked by the reversal.  Would liked to have been a fly on the wall for that discussion.  I’d also like to be there when the signs are removed.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »
Some may not know, but NFM came out even before the CHP act was enacted and made a big media stand against CCW by putting up the  no CCW allowed signs before any other retailer.

I am a little surprised that they reversed the policy in such a public manner, but maybe the loss in sales as a result of the policy was more than we might think.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
I am a little surprised that they reversed the policy in such a public manner, but maybe the loss in sales as a result of the policy was more than we might think.

As I have mentioned a number of times elsewhere, I'd bet my retirement the decision was based almost entirely on the near future opening of their Dallas Texas store.  Exaggerating a very little bit, but I bet there are almost more CHP holders in the DFW area than residents in Nebraska.   The rest of it is all spin. 

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
I don't care for the fact that security can ask to see your ccw if they feel you are carrying but, it's a step in the right direction. FYI, I was there yesterday and went in the west entrance. No signs were up.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
I don't care for the fact that security can ask to see your ccw if they feel you are carrying but, it's a step in the right direction. FYI, I was there yesterday and went in the west entrance. No signs were up.

If one is CCW'ing properly they'd have no reason to ask, they(NFM security guards) also have no legal authority to ask to see your permit.

I'm not showing them either...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:43:30 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

If one is CCW'ing properly they'd have no reason to ask, they(NFM security guards) also have no legal authority to ask to see your permit.

I'm not showing them either...  ;)
Agreed. I don't think I have ever been discovered and don't plan on it.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
I'm betting they will have someone watching scanners or metal detectors to check everyone that walks in.

Buffet is not an honest man and he definitely doesn't want common people having rights to anything but spending money in his investment.

If it's legal to carry with a permit, they should have to believe that the person automatically has a permit. After all, it's the law. By having armed security, he is only hiring his own thug organization anyway. They can ask for my permit, but they will more than likely be telling me to leave instead of shopping there. They won't see my permit.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
I'm betting they will have someone watching scanners or metal detectors to check everyone that walks in.

Buffet is not an honest man and he definitely doesn't want common people having rights to anything but spending money in his investment.

If it's legal to carry with a permit, they should have to believe that the person automatically has a permit. After all, it's the law. By having armed security, he is only hiring his own thug organization anyway. They can ask for my permit, but they will more than likely be telling me to leave instead of shopping there. They won't see my permit.

I highly doubt they will be asking to see people's permits. And no they dont have metal detectors. Those white arches you see at most big retailers are NOT metal detectors. I believe they are those RFID scanners which scan the signals being sent from those high end products that have a Radio Frequency Identificiation chip implanted in them.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
I highly doubt they will be asking to see people's permits. And no they dont have metal detectors. Those white arches you see at most big retailers are NOT metal detectors. I believe they are those RFID scanners which scan the signals being sent from those high end products that have a Radio Frequency Identificiation chip implanted in them.
I realize that on the scanners, but a metal detector, while being primitive, can be built right into the entrance door so that nobody knows it's even there. I'm not saying it will be done, but how many customers have been robbed or beaten at NFM that would require 6 armed wanna be cops?

I no longer have a need for Omaha or Lincoln anyway, so this has no bearing on me or my life. Buffet has more than likely been told that he is losing money by not allowing the legal, law abiding citizens of the country to shop in his establishment.

As it appears to be a win for the concealed carriers, the edge is intended for Buffet and nobody else. He isn't one that does favors or cares for the little people.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
If one is CCW'ing properly they'd have no reason to ask,

I have 2 different handguns for CCW and they are concealed when I carry.  Concealed means concealed.  I've carried around people that would s**t their liberal undies if they thought an evil black handgun was in easy reach of my hand.  :laugh:

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »
Is this policy of Concealed Carry still in place at NFM?  Want to drive over from Lincoln. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
I was up there a couple months ago no signage up. You coukd tell it was up at onetime but then taken down. The empty hole with the no smoking signs and such.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
I was  there last month to buy a new couch and carried without issue. No signs in the furniture section and I looked at every entrance
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »

As I have mentioned a number of times elsewhere, I'd bet my retirement the decision was based almost entirely on the near future opening of their Dallas Texas store.  Exaggerating a very little bit, but I bet there are almost more CHP holders in the DFW area than residents in Nebraska.   The rest of it is all spin. 

I called them a month or so ago to ask what their policy is....I was told over the phone that ccw is ok, open carry is not permitted, & if they see your gun they 'may' ask you to leave....  From what 'insider info' I have heard, the entire reason that they reversed their policy was based upon the opening of the Dallas store...

NFM also has a web department that looks into comments made about them online & attempts to respond to negative shopping experiences when they can reach the person....I would guess that there are hundreds of hits daily between facebook, Twitter, instagram, & amazon.  Apparently the most negative feedback that they ever had (online) involved their public announcement of allowing concealed carry in Omaha...

We have common sense on Our Side, unfortunately it isn't very common around here!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Jerry Lundegard

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:01 PM »
The "arches" are not metal detectors or RFID scanners. They are EAS scanners. electronic article surveillance.  They don't track merchandise per se the way and RFID tag does.   They are anti theft devices that detect a magnetic tag embedded in the product or the product package.  The tags are deactivated at the register.  if they are not deactivated, that is what trips the audible alarm at the door.  The systems are tuned to a specific frequency and won't " detect" any metal other than the small strips embedded in the EAS tags.  There are also simple ways to defeat the tags.

The system has no capability to detect a concealed firearm.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I was at NFM several weeks ago and the obvious red-crossed-circle-over-a-beretta had been removed from the doors.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
I called them a month or so ago to ask what their policy is....I was told over the phone that ccw is ok, open carry is not permitted, & if they see your gun they 'may' ask you to leave....  From what 'insider info' I have heard, the entire reason that they reversed their policy was based upon the opening of the Dallas store...

NFM also has a web department that looks into comments made about them online & attempts to respond to negative shopping experiences when they can reach the person....I would guess that there are hundreds of hits daily between facebook, Twitter, instagram, & amazon.  Apparently the most negative feedback that they ever had (online) involved their public announcement of allowing concealed carry in Omaha...

We have common sense on Our Side, unfortunately it isn't very common around here!

I felt the timing coincided with CCW/ Self defense law changes taking effect in Kansas (ie. their KC,KS store) 
Maybe it was a combination of that and Dallas store, that got them to talk it over. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane