< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Prarie Dog Shooting/Hunting  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Prarie Dog Shooting/Hunting
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »
Do we have any Prairie Dog shooters with us here at NFOA?

Those that have tried it know how much pleasurable and challenging it can be. Prairie Rat is what these rodents should have been named instead of Prairie Dog named after how they bark warnings to each other as invaders come near there rat holes.
When Prairie Dog shooting depending on how often the town has been shot at, the range can be anywhere from 20 to 1000 Yards. Prairie Dog towns are found in many states and the vast majority app. 98% pulled from my rear is west of the Missouri River with SD, WY, ND, KS, CO, and yes NE being some of the most popular locations.

Equipment recommendations you can use anything from your trusty .22lr to a .308 for that reach out and touch something crowd. My cartridge of choice is the .223 in 55grain V-Max smokin at a muzzle velocity of app. 3200fps. The longer your barrel the better with one of my rifles being 26?. Optics are your friend and yes good optics cost I have been known to spent more on my optics than on my rifle. When your barrel is hot and the mirages are moving the optics do make a difference without question.  A good scope along with good binoculars and or spotting scope will help you find and reach out to make that unforgettable far-off and or double shot.

Many also like the 22-250 as well. The .308 works quite well for the shooters that do not count how many rats that they shoot in an outing but rather how many yards there furthest confirmed successful shot was.
Last weekend I was 20 miles NW of Hulett, WY which is near Devils Tower on a Ranch of 48,000 acres it was wonderful to be out away from the rest of the world (except for the tire blow out from the shale rock). Shooting was good on Friday with a partly cloudy sky and a slight crosswind up to 10mph and 65 degree temps. The dogs were somewhat weary and obviously had been shot at before. This forced us to reach out some 300 to 800 yards. I shoot at 800 yards but I did not hit at 800 yards.  375 yards is about my max for my skill level my rifle as usual is much better than this shooter. It was fortunately dry enough that we could read our bullet hits (dust).Anyway it was a blast to be out with my shoot-in buddies spotting for each other as we shoot the day away. Watching the clouds blow by and listening to the song birds as we spotted for more Prairie Rats.

As some of you may know the dogs like the sun and the next day there was none, it actually had rained the night before causing us to four wheel with my truck into our shooting spot four miles off of the county road. This was through some of the stickiest black gumbo dirt that I have driven in, it truly was a challenge. We spent $30.00 at the car wash in Hulett on our way home from the trip. This day was a bust as we tried to spot some dogs but the sun never broke so after three hours we called it a day and packed up as the rain again started up to head back to the ranch for lunch and our trip back home to Plattsmouth.

We the three of us used shooting benches and also shot prone. It was not a 500 round days but we were prepared with much ammo. But dang-it we also brought much ammo back to shoot another day.

For the tree huggers who want to protect these rodents remember this. They are carriers of the Bubonic Plaque thru the flea's that they carry. They eat their own. They damage range land beyond use. Ranchers poison and gas them even vacuum them out of there holes to eliminate the problem.

For those who may be interested in more info check out the Varmint Hunters Association they also put out a quarterly magazine with much information. http://www.varminthunter.org/

Please tell us more about your Prairie Rat stories.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Prarie Dog Shooting/Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Never done it yet, but I've always wanted to.  I'd love to know some good places to go.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
a buddy and I have been looking to go some time, just need time and a couple good places.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »
I have my Varmint Rem 700 set up and shooting dimes, never have shot at a prarie dog though.  Would be fun to try one of these days!

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
How do you like that rifle, maanbr? I've been thinking about what my next purchase is going to be, and that is  on my list of possibilities.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
Do we have any Prairie Dog shooters with us here at NFOA?

wannabe count?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
Add 1 for me. Notice the matter on the second picture.

The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:28 AM »
One more here hooked Love to reach out.
Jay the 700 Rem is an excellent choice and very resaonable.
This model, good optics and a little trigger work and you will not be disappointed.
Guaranteed that you will be shooting out past 200yards often.

The Sako is also amazing.

(GOOD Optics) is key.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
I sold my Rem. 788 in .223 a while back that I used for p-dogs up in Montana.  It was a tack-driver. 
I know who should still have it now, if anyone is interested in it. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
I went for the first time a few weeks ago, shooting a friends Marlin in .17 HMR.  It was a lot of fun.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
I have a Ruger 77/17 that I had Gordy over in IA do some work on, and a cooper 22-250.  I also have a Rem 700 Light Varmint in 22-250 all shoot really good groups!  The Light Varmint is mostly for coyotte and such.  The cooper is to heavy and nice to lug arroung chasing yottes.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
soooo badly want to try this, but  need someone to take me and show me how/where! 

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
I would love to go sometime, but I have no clue where.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
i want to do some prairie dog hunting.  i have an AR, but no scope, just a red dot.  my dad does have a .30-06     ;D

i need someone to take me out and de-virginize me on prairie dogs.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Very interesting discussion.  I've been shooting dogs for over 25 years. One of the best ways to keep your eye sharp.
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
I just recently bought a Savage .17HMR.  Nothing fancy or expensive.  3-9 x 40 scope.  I would think it would kill a prairie dog.  Not sure what kind of range it would have.  The only place I've ever seen prairie dogs is either on TV or at a protected town near Harlan County damn/reservoir many years ago.  My brother and I walked to Republican City, and on the way back to the campgrounds, we passed a farm house.  A whole litter of puppies came running out, and 4 of them followed us as we went down the road.  When we got to the prairie dog town, they ran out into it and somehow managed to catch one.  As we watched, one puppy had a hold of each leg of the prairie dog, and they all kept backing up and jerking until they each had a piece of him.  It gave "snap, crackle, and pop" a whole new meaning for us. :-\
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »
We need to put together the first annual NFOA dog hunt!

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »
I'd be up for it! :)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
I'm game!  I would love the opportunity.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »
I must be lucky, have my own town 200 yards from the house, used to shoot them from  my front deck, now it is gone (the deck, I am rebuilding it). I offered a shoot a while back, have a few town around I can shoot at, lets talk about it in Columbus. Did you notice my avatar?
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.