< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: XD Slide Lockup  (Read 1035 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
XD Slide Lockup
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
Was at the range last week, and had a malfunction I have never encountered before, curious if any of you have seen it before. My XD jammed feeding a live round, with the slide 90% forward (but not in full battery). Slide was locked up, would not easily move forward or back.

Was able to search the internet on my phone, and found similar problems, but all dealt with the slide being jammed all the way to the rear. These lockups were due to an misaligned guide rod.

Only other online solution was hit the frame with a hammer!

With no hammer near by, I hit the rear of the slide a few times with my hand (finger off trigger, barrel pointed down range). It brought the slide fully forward. I unloaded, field stripped, and reassembled. I inspected and compared the stuck round to others (no visible damage, or anything out of spec).

I reloaded that round, and fired with no issues at all.

I believe it was a guide rod issue, but am curious if any of you have seen anything similar?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: XD Slide Lockup
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
XD45?  If so, this is fairly common from what I've heard.  I've had mine do it before.  My understanding is that the throat of the chamber is slightly beveled at the barrel end and cartridges with a slightly long OAL will hang up from time to time.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
XD45?  If so, this is fairly common from what I've heard.  I've had mine do it before.  My understanding is that the throat of the chamber is slightly beveled at the barrel end and cartridges with a slightly long OAL will hang up from time to time.

XD40. I've had plenty of failures to feed due to a long OAL, but never had it lock the entire slide up like that. Usually just racking the slide fixes those for me.

Offline mrkermit

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
No issues on my 45 locking up like that.  Ammo brand?

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
No issues on my 45 locking up like that.  Ammo brand?

Handloads, which certainly could have contributed to the problem. I still think it was a guide rod issue, never seen ammo jam the slide entirely.

Offline OmahaGlock

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
I have an XD-40 with a couple thousand rounds of numerous brands of ammo through it (Never any reloads though). I have never had so much as a hiccup, no fte, ftf, or lock ups. I religiously clean after every trip to the range. I guess this doesn't help your situation, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else has had this problem...

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
I have an XD-40 with a couple thousand rounds of numerous brands of ammo through it (Never any reloads though). I have never had so much as a hiccup, no fte, ftf, or lock ups. I religiously clean after every trip to the range. I guess this doesn't help your situation, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else has had this problem...

My XD-40 and XDm 9 have both run flawlessly.  I only had the problem with long OAL ammo in my XD45.

Offline springfield40

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
I have an XD40 subcompact that I have put a little more than a 1000 rounds through it.  Most of those rounds have been reloads, with a small smattering of Winchester HP's. I can honestly say that there has not been one failure at all. 
Other than the small grip, it is a pleasure to shoot too. 

Frank