< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The most atrocious gun handling ever (No this is not a trick/plea for donations)  (Read 4382 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member

On this video the owner of the company says "the objective is more important than your own lives."

I don't think students realize he meant the training class. :o

Also what the hell is up with the repeated use of strong hand only shooting when the weak hand is fully available for use!?

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Or, we can't afford the ammo costs, class costs,  or take the time necessary to  train to that level.

Talking about the "tactics" displayed in this horsesh|t video, there is no "training to that level." Unless you like fratricide. From the principles of small unit tactics, there is absolutely nothing sound in this video. The interior movement was sh|t: I've seen better stuff from untrained reservist POGs out here at FHL. Literally too many things to list as to why it was crap. The rest was a series of pointless and dangerous drills that only (might) look cool to those who don't know anything.

"The mission is more important" is a cute saying, but doesn't hold up in practice. Safety is still a huge part of real world operations, from control measures integrated into SOPs and TTPs to prevent fratricide, to speed limits for convoys to avoid rollovers and other accidents. Safety and security are two different things but they both have the same goal: loss prevention. A dead team member is no longer able to assist the unit towards mission success, and a wounded member is a huge liability and burden to security, logistics, operations, and overall mission success.

Edited for clarity. Typed this from my phone originally.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:47:44 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
From the video SeanN posted, check out the "Instructor" at 00:07.  I want his job!

Quote from: Instructor Grab A$$
Trust me young lady.  I'm a professional.  Now let me move my hand just a little lower.  If that doesn't work, I can try the technique where I stand immediately behind you and wrap my hands around to assist you with your grip.  Kind of like that golf pro did just before he offered to buy you dinner.  If I nibble on your neck, it is only a test to see if you can shoot with distractions.

You could teach her a stable stance...NAH!  This is more fun.

Fly
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:23:08 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Above post cleaned up.

I had seen this video some time before, didn't think much about it at the time except: "NO, NO, NO."

After seeing this today I seriously started to wonder if this wasn't a parody or joke, so I did a google search. Apparently this is all too real:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=244626

FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Defense-Enterprises-ADE/111850298851028

You have to scroll down a ways before you hit anything of any substance. Alot of pics and videos of bad techniques, and drills that I cannot fathom the purpose of.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:18:37 AM by wallace11bravo »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Or, we can't afford the ammo costs, class costs,  or take the time necessary to  train to that level.

If you think that is a high level of training, or something that shooters should aspire to, then we have significant differences in expectations and opinions.

From a shooting skills perspective, their grips are significantly non-optimal, their stances (shooting platforms) are laughable, their movement is slow and ridiculously movie-learned, their accuracy and speed leave much to be desired, and their building clearing tactics come straight from the Keystone cops.

Their skills come directly from TV and movie crap, it looks like, and training "to that level" looks like it means learning crap shooting technique from people who don't know any better, and who think that looking cool is the key to being tactical, and that the ability to have a 1-second draw on a target at 2 yards is the ultimate in speed.

And that isn't even DISCUSSING the safety issues with what they are doing.

So no, I don't think the issue is that we are jealous because we don't have the time and ammo necessary to train "to their level."

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
For fun, someone post a similar video, where people are walking through a marksmanship range, where you think all is well.

Might be fun and educational to see good and bad, together, to compare them.

I shot on a big city swat team range a number of years back.  Here in Nebraska.   I was amazed as my instructor walked, and at times, ran through the targets.  His time was amazing, and his score was almost as good as mine, with me walking through, taking my time on each target.

Post more videos, some ones, you think are a good example of something similar.

I wasn't aware that any SWAT team had their own range here in Nebraska.  Where was this? And are you talking just about the instructor moving while shooting?  That's pretty normal.

You ask for a good example of something similar---not sure what you mean, because this video is just completely awful, and doesn't really show anything useful.  I can't think of anyone teaching well that has a video "similar" to this one.

You want a video of people learning how to shoot correctly?  Plenty out there. (A lot of really bad ones, too.)
You want a video of people running through stages of targets and engaging them accuracy at speed?  Look for any USPSA match video.
You want videos of people learning actually close-quarters fighting tactics?  Pull up an ECQC video.
You want videos of people learning actual building-clearing tactics?  That'll be harder, because those people are generally busy training and prefer not to advertise their techniques.  But you might find some.

Here's another good indicator of the training you get from these people:

Look at her grip.  How her shoulders move (actually, her whole body goes up and down) and she can't get the gun on target on the draw (has to adjust her aiming point) even though it is about 3 yards off.    Look at her recoil management---and it is only a 9mm.  This is training to be an instructor, and starting with her hand almost on the gun in an open thigh rig she can barely make 1.2 at 3 yards. 

(And the guy running the timer, when she runs a 1.56, says "still faster than most" which is really sad.)

This isn't a regular student--this is someone who later is one of their instructors.  And there pretty much isn't ANYTHING about her fundamentals that is any good.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
I can think of two government ran ranges in Lancaster County that have SWAT training.  Trained on both. One has a very good tire house and elevated platform for marksman/observer training.  Also Hastings has a very good range with 600 yard targets.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
I can think of two government ran ranges in Lancaster County that have SWAT training.  Trained on both. One has a very good tire house and elevated platform for marksman/observer training.  Also Hastings has a very good range with 600 yard targets.

Oh, there are several ranges that SWAT members use to practice in Nebraska.  My comment was in response to:  "I shot on a big city swat team range a number of years back.  Here in Nebraska"  and it was that I didn't know that any SWAT team had its own range.

The LE academy has a range, of course, and there are several others.  However, I wasn't aware of any dedicated SWAT ranges, which is why I asked.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
In the video above, the shooter is doing something with her right hand before/during the draw....what is that? (looks like a tap/rub before draw)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
I wrote a comment on their fb page, and made some pretty negative comments.  I know, but I just can't resist poking the bear.  It was only there for a few minutes before it was deleted.  What a surprise.

Fly

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
In the video above, the shooter is doing something with her right hand before/during the draw....what is that? (looks like a tap/rub before draw)

I don't know if there's a technical term. Basically she's making sure her non-draw hand is safe and on its way up to join the draw-hand/pistol.

A quick google search describes it as such...
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/how-not-to-draw-a-gun-from-a-holster-2/

* Keep your non-gun hand on your chest

If your non-gun hand is not on your body during all this pre-Weaver stance firing, you stand a pretty good chance of shooting it, or at least burning it to hell with hot gasses. This can also happen in a “normal” draw under abnormal circumstances.

For obvious reasons, she's using abdomen rather than chest.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
If you think that is a high level of training, or something that shooters should aspire to, then we have significant differences in expectations and opinions.

I was referring to  the idea that an ordinary CHP like me has to train to the level IMPLIED by that video, not that the "level" demonstrated in the video was desirable.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
mOpar...thanks for the explaination.

As I cycled through several draws, it looked almost like a double slap she was doing with her right hand. As I watched over and over several times, it appeared she was waiting on the right hand. Maybe I just mistook what was going on. Makes sense to keep track of your hand, just seems quicker to just start that hand from some sort of "home" location, just don't get the slap or rub.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
I hate all the holes in the targets... does draw speed really matter if you can't hit your target

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
* Keep your non-gun hand on your chest

However,  I noticed a contradiction  in the advice  in  that URL...

* Point the gun in the direction of the target immediately upon unholstering
That way you can fire at once (from the hip), bring the gun up towards your chest, fire again, get a two-handed grip, fire again, push the gun out and fire again. That’s four shots, if needs be.

But, that advice contradicts this advice, just a couple paragraphs below:
* Keep your finger OFF the trigger
Even before hows88 gets his sight picture, his finger is on the trigger. That’s bad.

If you keep your hand off the trigger until you have a "sight picture" how are you going to shoot FOUR shots if your finger is not on the trigger?   The Uri Geller trigger mechanism?

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
While we're getting a bit off-topic here... I don't think there's any problem with having your finger on the trigger and even slightly pressing on the trigger before you can see the sights. As long as the GUN is on target (and in a safe direction), it doesn't matter. Even if you accidentally finish the trigger pull, at the distance they're at, it would hit the target and follow-up shots would be made with the full grip and extension.

This has been taught to me by several knowledgeable instructors from both tactical/military and civilian/competition backgrounds. Obviously, you don't want to be pulling the trigger before you have the gun pointed forward. Once you do, if you have good technique, your body will index the muzzle in the correct direction and it is safe to start "prepping" the trigger.

At a distance of 3 yards, many people can hit the target before getting the gun fully extended and shoot from between the armpit and pectoral area if necessary, which is as fast and a far more desirable area to shoot from than the hip in the case of needing weapon retention.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
I hate all the holes in the targets... does draw speed really matter if you can't hit your target

No, it does not. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight... Or a competition. Ask me how I know about the latter. :P

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut

Seriously, I watched it a couple of times and although I admittedly have very little in the way of formal training, I fail to see the purpose of most of these drills. 

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member

Seriously, I watched it a couple of times and although I admittedly have very little in the way of formal training, I fail to see the purpose of most of these drills. 

Intimidation...  >:D 8)  If you know nothing about guns this looks pretty scary...If you know even a little about safe gun handling practices this is terrifying.  :o

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
I am betting that they mostly cater to the gun newbs.  That Hollywood fodder of a promotional video probably gets a lot of ignorant people sucked up into their classes.  Sickening.

Fly