< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Traveling to Colorado  (Read 614 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Traveling to Colorado
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
Anyone been able to determine the finer points or refer to a source on the new Colorado firearms laws and when becomes "active"? HAVE to make a family trip out there in May. Wondering if I will have to rearrange/offload the family UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) of its usual and customary "components".

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Traveling to Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »
In for some info as well since it seems I'll heading to the Colorado Springs area sometime this summer to visit my wife's nephew.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
My take:
If you owned the "normal capacity" magazine continuously prior to 7-1-2013, the state must prove you did not possess the magazine before 7-1-2013 to convict you under the new capacity ban.

Also see the note that a magazine capacity over 21 rounds makes an AR15 into an "assault weapon" by law in DENVER city limits, but all expect that to be amended to incorporate the new ban limits

From Handgunlaw.us

18 -12-301. Definitions.
As Used In This Part 3, Unless the Context Otherwise Requires:
(1)"Bureau" means theColorado Bureau of Investigation created and existing pursuant to section 24-33.5401,C.R.S.
(2) (a)
"large capacity magazine means:

(I)
a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device capable of accepting, or that is designed to be readily converted to accept, more than fifteen rounds or ammunition;

(II)
a fixed, tubular shotgun magazine that holds more than twenty eight inches of shotgun shells, including any extension device that is attached to the magazine and holds additional shotgun shells; or

(III)
a nontubular, detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device that is capable of accepting more than eight shotgun shells when combined with a fixed magazine.
(b)
"large capacity magazine" does not mean:

(I)
a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than fifteen rounds of ammunition;

(II)
an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating on
ly with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition; or

(III)
a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever action firearm.

18-12-302.
Large Capacity Magazines Prohibited- Penalties- Exceptions.
(1)
(a)
except as otherwise provided in this section,on and after July 1,2013, a person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

(b)
any person who violates subsection (1) of this section after having been convicted of a prior violation of said subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor.

(c)
any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits a class 6 felony if the person possessed a large capacity magazine during the commission of a felony or any crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3406.

(2)
(a)
a person may possess a large capacity magazine if he or she:
(I)
owns the large capacity magazine on the effective date of this section; and 
(II)
maintains continuous possession of the large capacity magazine.
(b)
if a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is permitted to legally possess a large capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

Denver Colorado Ordinance Sec. 38-130.

Assault Weapons.
(b)(1)
Assault weapon shall include all firearms with any of the following characteristics:
d.
Any firearm which has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined herein.
e.
Any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, including a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty one (21) or more rounds, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Note:
With the new State Mag limitations starting 7/1/13 the Denver Ordinance will most likely be amended to state 15 rounds. Even with their ordinance stating 21 rounds after 7/1/13 the state limit will be 15.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
So my Normal CCW handgun is GTG as .45 ACP Glock  max mag capacity is 13, but I need some 10 round  AR15 mags for Denver. I will be buying Magpul's new 10 round Emags
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.