< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 88 Tactical TacMed/Fighting Wounded AAR  (Read 1248 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
88 Tactical TacMed/Fighting Wounded AAR
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
This is an AAR posted to Facebook from one of our students that attended the TacMed/Fighting Wounded class yesterday (4/20/13) in Tekemah. I am reposting it here for those who may be interested in this class and dont see our Facebook page. The next TMFW class is on the schedule for May 19th 0900-1800.

http://88tactical.com/categories/1-handgun/courses/20-handgun-tac-med-level-1-tekamah/

Posted by Ron A. Excellent class!! Shawn's expertise, knowledge, and skill levels were obvious both in the morning's class session as well as during the afternoon's range session. There was foundational information on traumatic injuries and management of them, including practice skill stations in the classroom to familiarize the students with the equipment and use of them. During the range time, Shawn very diligently worked the class initially from basic, straightforward skill sets of shooting and working out of issues of unexpected defective rounds as well as changing magazines while on the move as warm-up exercises. Once that was relatively quickly established with the group because of the skill and safety levels of the students in this particular class, then came the challenges of doing it all from varied simulated wounded scenarios, whether it was strong hand or support hand wounded (thus rendering them non-useable), and he also added the surprise element of having to then self-apply a tourniquet asap as though you had a significant bleeder, and these were from standing and on the ground positions (all kinds of on the ground positions...stomach, side, back, having to move around while on your back and stop the threat, etc). As noted, Shawn was an excellent instructor of working with the skill levels and safety levels of the class as the training skills he employed with the class were very advanced. The culminating final exercise I will not describe because it should stay that way until you (the reader) take the class, but I will say this....Shawn skillfully challenged the student physiologically so the person was under situations to work themselves out of both thinking, physically, and stopping the threat!! The trademark as we all know of a great class and great instructor: when it's all over, one wants more!!!....although that last climax at the end was probably it for the day physically and mentally for all of us. Considering the fact that there's such an increased risk/potential of being wounded in a critical incident, this class exposes the students to the demands of what can happen physically and physiologically, how to "fix it" and "work through it" under pressure (Shawn is a real nice guy but can also role play real well the drill sergeant that will keep you in an adrenaline pump!), and then to self-assess what and how one did. I would HIGHLY recommend this class for anyone who carries (concealed or open) or, for that matter, anyone who even just limits themselves to only home self-defense.
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Re: 88 Tactical TacMed/Fighting Wounded AAR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
 :D Hah!  Ya beat me to it  ;)  I just dropped into the forum to post what I commented on 88Tactical's Facebook page about the class. Glad ya got it up here!!  8)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »
:D Hah!  Ya beat me to it  ;)  I just dropped into the forum to post what I commented on 88Tactical's Facebook page about the class. Glad ya got it up here!!  8)

Didnt know for sure you were a member here. Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience. Im glad you enjoyed the class.

- Shawn 
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
I was in this class as well, and will second Aldo's positive feedback and then some. Shawn is a great Instructor... Very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does, and the quality of his class reflects that.

This is a physically challenging class, no question.... There were a couple times I didn't think this fat guy was going to make it through the drills. (Felt some muscles get worked that I didn't remember I had)  :-)

I knew very little about this topic going in, other than having a couple basic first aid and CPR classes over the last several years.... I learned ALOT in that one day, things I had never thought about, or have never been exposed to. Of course much of it you hope you will never see :-) (Unless that is your career choice)

I highly recommend this class to someone who wants to do some unique training that is great stuff to know.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:41:08 AM »
Thanks Chris!! I am just about finished with Level 2 (TacMed/Care Under Fire) and we will also be adding a Level 3 (TacMed/Mass Casualty). I hope to see you guys there. You may want to bring some ibuprofen  ;D

- Shawn 

www.88tactical.com

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
Thanks Chris!! I am just about finished with Level 2 (TacMed/Care Under Fire) and we will also be adding a Level 3 (TacMed/Mass Casualty). I hope to see you guys there. You may want to bring some ibuprofen  ;D

- Shawn 

I am definitely interested in the Level 2 and Level 3 courses. Will keep looking on 88Tactical site to indicate the "notify" when I see it appear.  Question: is the "shoot/no shoot" course a different course than these others?  I don't see it listed on the site. Thanks!
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I am definitely interested in the Level 2 and Level 3 courses. Will keep looking on 88Tactical site to indicate the "notify" when I see it appear.  Question: is the "shoot/no shoot" course a different course than these others?  I don't see it listed on the site. Thanks!

Yes, they are different courses. Look for the Level 2 TacMed course description to be on the web site this week. Scheduled Level 2 classes by next week.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »
More dates added for Level 1 TacMed/Fighting Wounded.

https://88tactical.com/categories/1-handgun/courses/20-handgun-tac-med-level-1-tekamah/

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com