< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP versus CCW  (Read 4079 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
CHP versus CCW
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
As I understand Nebraska law, the permit we get to exercise our Constitutional right to bear arms only applies to concealed handguns.  So presumably a permit-holder could have both a handgun and a concealed knife, and get busted for the knife.  This makes no sense. 

I know it isn't a big deal in a practical sense, especially since I have a feeling that most LEOs would probably not arrest someone for it unless he was causing a problem (I say most because you do run across a Barney Fife now and then).  But it is a big deal because it is based in the false assumption that carrying a concealed weapon is a privilege, not a right.  If it's a right, it's incumbent on the state to provide a compelling reason for an infringement on it, and if a person has qualified for a permit and has a handgun with him, what compelling reason can there be to say he can't have a concealed knife too?

Does anyone know how our concealed carry law ended up being written like this?  And is it enforced, or is it just bureaucratic nonsense caused by bad wording?  And has there been any attempt to change it?

I bring this up because in light of so many attacks being made on the right to keep and bear arms, I think patriots should be fighting back not only by stopping further infringements, but also by trying to get rid of those that already exist, no matter how tolerable they seem to be.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: CHP versus CCW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
*snip*

Does anyone know how our concealed carry law ended up being written like this? And has there been any attempt to change it?

*snip*

i don't know for sure, but i think it was all about compromise.  and no way to change it while the Cobra is still in (i mean runs) the legislature.  therefore we (Nebraskans) can only carry 1 handgun concealed (CHP).

i asked about getting short shotguns or knives also on it, but was told no by a legislator and this was about 2 or 3 years ago.  i believe Texas has a CCW.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
So what we have is not "Concealed HandgunS Permit", but exactly, "Concealed Handgun Permit", as in one only?   

The post above says 1 handgun, is that right, not two, if we choose to carry two handguns?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:43:30 PM by Gary »

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:44:32 PM »
I don't recall seeing anything that limited my permit to only (1) handgun.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
The post above says 1 handgun, is that right, not two, if we choose to carry two handguns?

I'm almost sure that was done that way just to make sure.
You didn't bring enough for the whole class to help you out during the gun fight.  :laugh:
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
So what we have is not "Concealed HandgunS Permit", but exactly, "Concealed Handgun Permit", as in one only?   

I've never heard it interpreted this way, and there are no penalties for carrying more than one outlined in the state code. A WHOLE LOT of people are unknowingly in violation if that is the case!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »
In Iowa, years ago, decades, your permit had your handgun serial number typed onto it.  I asked, and was granted permission to have two guns, but there was barely room on the form, and I remember the secretary being a little pissy with me, adding a second number, like it was a big event in her day at work.    I still have that permit, ran onto it looking around in old records.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
i don't know for sure, but i think it was all about compromise.  and no way to change it while the Cobra is still in (i mean runs) the legislature.

Who is that?  Ernie Chambers?  (I'm catching up with NE politics after many years' hiatus.)

I was surprised when I moved back here that Nebraska law allows all these "no guns" stickers on businesses doors.  I've lived in at least two CCW states and have never seen anything like that.  In those locales, the only restrictions on CCW holders was pretty much bars and church, if that.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
I am guessing the main city with gun keep out signs, is Omaha.  Not that many in Lincoln that I have seen (don't get out much) and I bet some western Nebraska cities have signs up saying, forget your gun at home, go back and get er.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
The question of gun vs guns came up in my CHP class a few weeks ago from Rod Moeller.  As I recall, the answer was that there is no limit to the number of handguns you can carry.  Maybe one of our legislative experts could verify.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
Now that Chambers and Ashford are back anti-freedom bigots apparently have control over the legislature.  So it looks like there would be no way to remove this absurd part of the concealed carry law except to get a petition to expand the term limit law by saying two terms is all you get, period.  That might solve a lot of problems, though it would be years in the making.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
In Iowa, years ago, decades, your permit had your handgun serial number typed onto it.  I asked, and was granted permission to have two guns, but there was barely room on the form, and I remember the secretary being a little pissy with me, adding a second number, like it was a big event in her day at work.    I still have that permit, ran onto it looking around in old records.
Must have been the county you were in. My Iowa permit in the 70's was not handgun specific.

bigdog
bigdog

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
Must have been the county you were in. My Iowa permit in the 70's was not handgun specific.

bigdog

My last one,  says expires 1983, and the weapon designation, is typed in, not on the form originally.  I never noticed that before.  Pottawattamie county.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Gary.............

A Raven .25???????

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »
Gary.............

A Raven .25???????

sfg
And here he said his normally carry/SD gun was a 10mm...
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
Did they have 10mm in 1983?, Did they have Glocks in 1983?, go dog someone else

The Raven 25 is not a great gun, but it fit a need at the time, and I used it for years.   

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
Gary............

Well, they did have Ruger .357s back then.   Which appears to have been your primary SD gun, according to the documentation.

So--the Raven .25 woulda been your BUG??

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
The Rugar was a Security Six.  Well made handgun.   Kept that under wraps with a JackAss shoulder holster.  Sad to say, both are no longer made, but the holster is found under another name,  and is much the same as it was. I kept the Raven in deep cover. Can't give away all my secrets.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Gary......

It's pretty certain that with a Ruger Security Six, you coulda carried a rock for a BUG and been OK.

Revolver reliability.

Ruger ruggedness.

.357Mag no-argument finality.

I'll bet (a) you sold it and (b) you wish you had it back.

sfg

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »
Did they have 10mm in 1983?, Did they have Glocks in 1983?, go dog someone else

The Raven 25 is not a great gun, but it fit a need at the time, and I used it for years.   

You said in a different post "I qualified on my personal gun of 20 years, that I shoot pretty well, a Glock 10mm."

If you think a joke about how you said that compared to a BUG of a Raven .25 is something that should get yourself bent out of shape, I can't help that.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com