< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It's a sad day.... no more coffee :(  (Read 1505 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
It's a sad day.... no more coffee :(
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
At least, no more regular / caffeinated coffee :(.

I've had an inkling over the last month or two that I shouldn't drink regular coffee any more.

About a year ago I had to give up regular coffee for a while.  I've since then made a couple cans of it here at work and have noted not feeling great during those times.

More recently, I went through a small can of decaf and this week started a can of regular.  Both yesterday and today my body have been telling me "this aint good" :(.

Been drinking regular coffee since I was 5 (from teenage years and beyond around a pot a day), and now I have to stop :(.

I weep for the loss of my best friend :(.

Will continue with some decaf, but it's just not the same.

*sniff*
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: It's a sad day.... no more coffee :(
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
I have been hooked on pop with caffeine.  Not easy to stop.   

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
Just for you Unfy

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Gary: caffeine is an awesome drug aye.  Just that slight lil push to keep going etc.

Phantom: nope, body just can't handle it :(

I've found over the last year that caffeine root beer and sodas treat me better.  And when I was working out, water or diet+caffeine free sodas did even better.

I've been meaning to try some fake nasty 'herbal coffee' substitute stuff.  Basically where it's caffeine free and not made from coffee beans.  It *can't* be that much worse than decaf, can it ?  I do need a sipping drink.  Both parents were Navy, and my day job is a coder.  Coffee is just apart of my life heh.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
Phantom: nope, body just can't handle it . 

I've found over the last year that caffeine root beer and sodas treat me better.  And when I was working out, water or diet+caffeine free sodas did even better.

I've been meaning to try some fake nasty 'herbal coffee' substitute stuff.  Basically where it's caffeine free and not made from coffee beans.  It *can't* be that much worse than decaf, can it ?  I do need a sipping drink.  Both parents were Navy, and my day job is a coder.  Coffee is just apart of my life heh.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
I read this rather interesting article today and wanted to post it here to share with you all. I did a quick search in case someone else had already posted it...and this thread came up.

I hope the caffeine kick is going well, but read this just in case! You may want to stop and get a can of Folgers on the way home tomorrow! :)

Seriously though, this is some pretty scarey stuff. What's next? Smoking? PMS? Credit Rating?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/31/caffeine-withdrawal-is-now-a-mental-disorder/

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »
I read this rather interesting article today and wanted to post it here to share with you all. I did a quick search in case someone else had already posted it...and this thread came up.

I hope the caffeine kick is going well, but read this just in case! You may want to stop and get a can of Folgers on the way home tomorrow! :)

Seriously though, this is some pretty scarey stuff. What's next? Smoking? PMS? Credit Rating?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/31/caffeine-withdrawal-is-now-a-mental-disorder/

Hmmmmm, mental disorder? Just another reason to take our guns.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Got to work this morning, everyone else beat me there and the coffee pot was empty.  I made a new pot and then got tied up on something while it was brewing.  Walked back over 30 minutes later and it was empty again.  It has not been a good morning.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
it was empty again. 
Looks like someone needs to learn how to make a pot of coffee...  You take the last cup !  You make a pot !

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
Looks like someone needs to learn how to make a pot of coffee...  You take the last cup !  You make a pot !

I learned that by the time I was 10 :/

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »

Yeah.  Disorder.  I saw a post about it somewhere and just shook my head. *sigh*

Back in 2003 or so I stopped 2 pots of coffee a day cold turkey.  The headaches were brutal for about the first week and then never noticed a difference.  Granted, started back on coffee not too long after, but at a much diminished rate...

As per the thread's original post, I have found that I can handle decaf and the "1/2-caf" stuff fairly well.  Similarly, I can handle a single 32oz soda in the morning.

None of the above replaces a nice full bodied cup of delicious ambrosia whenever ya wanted it though :(

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »
Thankfully I’ve never been affected by caffeine.  Heck I can drink two energy drinks in a row and not feel a difference. 

Look on the bright side at least your teeth won’t keep turning brown.   ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I actually have to be careful with my caffeine intake since I've fought with insomnia ever since I was a kid.  As long as I limit myself to 2 cups in the morning and nothing after noon I'm ok, but if I have any caffeine after lunch I won't be sleeping that night.

I have enough nervous energy anyway that I don't really need it.  It helps wake me up but I'm usually fidgeting at my desk all day long as it is.