< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Traveling through states with your hunting rifles...  (Read 1010 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Traveling through states with your hunting rifles...
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »
I am planning a hog hunt in about a month.  I thought I would get advice from others about traveling with my guns.  Semper Fi Guy gave me some great pointers.

I called to the KS state patrol....they explained to me the KS Transport law.  Lock the guns up & unloaded in the trunk.  Easy as 1, 2, 3.

OK - a little different - lock the guns up in the trunk (unloaded).  Ammo must be carried separate (away from guns).

Texas - this is the great part.  I spoke to Trooper Reid about safe passage through TX.  I asked him about Ars & guns in general.  His exact words ..."This is Texas - bring ALL your guns."  I also asked him about carrying ammo.  His exact words.."I like to keep mine in my gun."

It is nice to hear that from a law enforcement officer.  It was a good experience to say the least.  I am nervous about traveling with guns.  I also think that it will go smooth as long as I pay attention to the rules.
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Traveling through states with your hunting rifles...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
..."This is Texas - bring ALL your guns."  I also asked him about carrying ammo.  His exact words.."I like to keep mine in my gun."

:)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:54 PM »
Gotta love TEXAS. :D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
A Nebraska CHP is good insurance when traveling and are honored in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas 8)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
A Nebraska CHP is good insurance when traveling and are honored in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas 8)

Yep.  A couple of us travel down to Texas for a shooting match each year, and it is EXCELLENT to be able to have self-defense tools for the entire trip.  (And if you have to side-track through Iowa or Missouri, you are still all good.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com