< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Range Report: Spike's Tactical ST-22 .22LR Upper for AR-15  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
Range Report: Spike's Tactical ST-22 .22LR Upper for AR-15
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »
I took advantage of the Father's Day coupon and ordered an ST-22 upper.  I ordered a standard M4 upper and asked for skinny CAR guards rather than fat M4 guards.  I also went with the railed gas block as my main carbine, a Stag 3, has a similar block up front.  It arrived on Friday, less than two weeks after ordering it.

Spike's packs these things VERY well.  They use a heavy kraft paper to secure the upper, rather than packing peanuts.  I hate packing peanuts as they always cause a mess, plus the paper is more environmentally friendly.  After removing all of the paper, I uncovered the bubble-wrapped upper, which was sealed in a plastic bag.  The box contained the barrel upper receiver, bolt assembly, and charging handle.  No spare parts or instructions were included.  There was a business card, along with a yellow piece of paper with a few "warnings".  This paper mentioned that the upper was test fired with Federal Bulk Pack, Federal Bulk Pack is the recommended ammo, and to avoid running the upper wet.  It also mentions that all NFA rules apply and to avoid lead bullets (as opposed to copper plated/washed).  

I always disassemble any new firearm to give it a cleaning, as most are covered in preservative.  The ST-22 was practically bone dry, with a few specs of carbon on the bolt face and some unburnt powder (?) in the barrel.  I sprayed some CLP in the bore and ran a bore snake through it.  The rifling was sharp and clean.  I sprayed some CLP on a rag and wiped down the interior and exterior surfaces of the charging handle, as well as the bolt rails.  Spike's says to run it dry and Internet reports confirm that, so I decided not to run it wet like a traditional AR bolt.

I mounted a Brownells flip-up sight on the front gas block, a Magpul FDE MBUS on the receiver, along with a Primary Arms M4 Clone.  The upper receiver has white T-marks on the rail, along with a laser-engraved Spider logo on the top and Spike's Tactical ST-22 on the left hand side.

The upper was mated to a Spike's Tactical lower in the "SAR" serial range.  This lower was built with a DPMS LPK, Magpul Polymer FDE Trigger Guard, Tango Down FDE Battle Grip, mil-spec receiver extension, a Midwest Industries QD sling plate, and a Stag Arms M4 stock that was painted with Coyote Aluma-Hyde II.  The lower has a standard buffer and action spring in the receiver extension, just in case I decide to use it on a standard rifle.  The ST-22 does not require a buffer or action spring, so removing them can save weight and cost.

I loaded up some mags before heading to the range.  Mags were 15-rd and 26-rd magazines from Brownells, made by Black Dog Machine.  The 15-rd mags could be filled to capacity but the 26-rd mags got a bit sluggish around the 20-rd mark.  I assume they'll loosen up with usage.  I wasn't impressed with the plastic on the magazines.  It seems a bit hard compared to the plastic of a P-Mag.  The BDM mags also had a lot of flashing left over and were a bit rough.  That said, they did end up functioning perfectly.

Out at the range, I did a quick boresight to get the red dot on paper.  This first group, shot with Federal Bulk Pack, had about a 1" spread with two shots touching.  After getting the RDS sighted in, I lined up my irons (plastics?)  to match.  I fired a few more shots to get those to hit where I wanted.  Zeroing both the RDS and irons took 24 rounds, using 3-shot groups.

Once I was zeroed, I set up some steel targets and started plinking.  I brought along some Federal AutoMatch and Aguila SuperExtra Standard Velocity.  Both are lead-tipped and generally fed fine.  I did not observe any lead build up on the feedramp.  The standard velocity Aguila did not reliably cycle the gun.  In one 15-rd magazine, I had two identical malfunctions, both of which were failure to eject (not failure to extract).  I switched back to Federal Bulk Pack and no problems for the rest of the day.

I put about 180 rounds through it, doing rapid fire, slow fire, and double-taps.  I plan to try shooting prone with a 26-rd mag as a field-expedient monopod.  Overall, I was VERY please with how the gun performed.  

The only downside to the upper, which is actually common to all Atchisson-based conversions/uppers, is that bolt hold-open is caused by the magazine follower and does not rely on the standard bolt catch.  Removing the magazine causes the bolt to close.  This makes it different from a standard AR-15 in that, in those guns, when the mag runs dry, the bolt locks open, you eject the magazine, insert a fresh one, and hit the bolt release to chamber a round.  On the Spike's ST-22 (and other Atchisson-based conversions/uppers), when the mag runs dry, the follower will hold the bolt open, you eject the magazine (which I had to pull out, since the bolt was holding it in by the follower), insert a fresh mag, and then operate the charging handle to chamber a round.  On the upside, this helps reinforce ripping the mag from the gun during a magazine change.

Once I got home, I found cleaning to be a breeze.  I CLPed and Boresnaked the barrel.  I disassembled the bolt assembly using these instructions.  I used some CLP and a tooth brush to clean off the residue, which was very easy due to the nickle plating.  I wiped the rails, guide rod, bolt surfaces, and charging handle with a rag that had some CLP on it, and reassembled.

I think the ST-22 will be some of the best money I've spent on firearms.  After taking a carbine class, I've realized how important technique and practice are.  Practicing gets expensive when factory .223 is running $400-$500 per thousand.  Reloads are cheaper, but good luck finding primers.  Running a .22LR upper allows me to practice the fundamentals of shooting for about 10% of the cost.  The upper will pay for itself in less than 1,500 rounds.

No, it's not as glamorous as a 6.5 Grendel upper, or some Leupold glass, or some Uber Tactical Defense platinum free floating handguards.  But, the ST-22 will probably see more use than any other gun I own.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:09:21 AM by Rich B »
NRA Life Member.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Range Report: Spike's Tactical ST-22 .22LR Upper for AR-15
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
Awesome! I was thinking about getting a 22 upper also. .223 is darn expensive although I have to say I love it.

Where do you do all your practicing? I was actually really starting to seriously look for a place I can practice not only marksmanship but also some tactical stuff while in full gear... I spent (some say wasted :P) a good deal of money on a full military-style rig with full multicam BDUs, chest rig, 1 day backpack, sling, hydration, etc.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
I spent (some say wasted ) a good deal of money on a full military-style rig with full multicam BDUs, chest rig, 1 day backpack, sling, hydration, etc.

OH, we gotta have PICS
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM »
Haha okay. I'll need to find someone to take the pics of me... One of my friends that *doesn't* think my hobby makes me slightly nuts. :P

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
I shoot in Central City.  When the range is empty (which it often is), I can run drills rather than just stand or sit at the firing line.

Not much gear though, just a sidearm and some Blade-Tech AR mag pouches on a Wilderness belt.
NRA Life Member.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
What is a cost comparison between the spikes upper and the new complete colt M4 22lr? Dealer cost on the new Colt M4 is $450 plus shipping, and they seem to be pretty well made guns by Walther.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
I got my upper on sale for ~$550.

Too many proprietary parts on the Colt for me, and the open magazines look like they won't get along well with sandy ranges.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:54 PM »
I am thinking strongly about a 22 semi-auto, and am very interested in the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 for around $450.00.

I am finding it hard to justify going with a dedicated  upper alone, when I could have a complete firearm for less money.

I am still thinking maybe a 10/22  could fill the bill.

BTW the link about cleaning the ST22 bolt is broken ( goes to the wrong website)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:46:33 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
Dan - Last fall I picked up a Tactical Solutions AR22 upper.  It took about 500 rounds of cursing the FTFs, FTEs, stovepipes, etc. as the moving parts were broken in, but every new firearm has a break in period.  Now she runs like a dream and it's great being able to fire a few hundred rounds in a day for less than $20.   >:D  Yes, it was expensive; but I rationalized it as an "investment".  My upper has more than paid for itself in the money I've saved on .223 ammo.  Oh, and the TS upper takes the Black Dog mags that are the same size as Pmags, so the whole rifle has the same feel as an AR - less the bold hold-open Rich mentioned, and the recoil. 

Zombie
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I am thinking strongly about a 22 semi-auto, and am very interested in the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 for around $450.00.

I am finding it hard to justify going with a dedicated  upper alone, when I could have a complete firearm for less money.

I am still thinking maybe a 10/22  could fill the bill.

BTW the link about cleaning the ST22 bolt is broken ( goes to the wrong website)

The Colt and S&W guns use mostly proprietary parts.  The Spikes uppers use standard delta ring assemblies, mil-spec upper receivers, 4140 steel barrels, mil-spec charging handles, and mil-spec barrel threading.  They attach to a standard, mil-spec lower made of forged 7075 aluminum, not plastic or pot metal.  Triggers and other lower parts are also standard AR.

If you just want a plinker, a .22LR AR-15 is NOT the way to go.  Other guns are more accurate and other guns are less money.  For basic marksmanship and introducing new shooters, a 10/22 might be a better choice.  If you enjoy the AR-15 and want one for low-cost training (SHTF, 3-gun, etc.), the dedicated uppers are an excellent choice.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:00:46 PM by Rich B »
NRA Life Member.