< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Its On: The Second Amendment Preservation Precision Rifle Challenge  (Read 10333 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Its On: The Second Amendment Preservation Precision Rifle Challenge
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
I found what seems so far to be a pretty decent ballistic calculator for the iphone.  It's called "Ballistic", strangely enough...

It looks like it has the features Wallace mentioned, but it also has a neat ranging feature.  You just punch in the target size and scroll the wheel until the target matches what you see through the reticle, and it does the calculation for you.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
Well, other people should sign up for this, because it is certainly true that they won't come in last.

I'm pretty sure I will.

Made it to the range and took out my .308 (that I haven't shot in 8 years---literally) and tried to remember how a bolt-action gun worked.

Yeah, that went well.  [sigh]

I know---I'll just buy a whole lot of stuff and bolt it to the gun!  You can make up for poor shooting by using expensive equipment, right?

Right?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
Well, other people should sign up for this, because it is certainly true that they won't come in last.

I'm pretty sure I will.

I'm pretty sure I will.

Made it to the range and took out my .308 (that I haven't shot in 8 years---literally) and tried to remember how a bolt-action gun worked.

Yeah, that went well.  [sigh]

I know---I'll just buy a whole lot of stuff and bolt it to the gun!  You can make up for poor shooting by using expensive equipment, right?

Right?

Too bad the pistol shoot won't count for score, you could definitely help your score there ;D

Don't own a bolt action anything any more.  And its been years since I even handled one handled one.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »

Too bad the pistol shoot won't count for score, you could definitely help your score there ;D

Don't own a bolt action anything any more.  And its been years since I even handled one handled one.

I thought about using one of my ARs, but they are all in .223 and I decided that 900 yards-worth of wind on a .223 round will change my chances from "almost close to zero" to "ridiculously close to zero," so a bolt-action .308 it is...

(If I had a LaRue OBR, we'd be having a different conversation.... :) )

(sigh)  It would indeed be nice if Jon added some of the pistol stuff to the score....

[hint, hint!]

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
Been trying to get a grasp on this Density Altitude thing.

A friend at work just got his pilot license. He flies small Cesna type airplanes out of North Omaha. As a pilot, he has firsthand knowledge of DA. He told me that as of this AM at 11:00, the DA at Blair airport was just short of 4000'. This is from a set altitude of close to 1300'.

Now I took this info and went to Federal Ballistics website and entered for 175 SMK 308cal. 1st entry at 1300' and temp of 70. 2nd entry at 3500 ' and temp of 70. Both with 200yd zero.

The trajectory diff was only 1.3" at 500yds, 2.8" at 600yds, 4.9" at 700yds, up to 19.3" at 1000 yds.

I found this incredible, as I had no idea that around here (Omaha area) that we could have such a huge swing in altitude which affects ballistics by a huge amount when trying to engage a 24" target.

Just an FYI and hope I am correct. :-\
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 01:38:36 AM »
Been trying to get a grasp on this Density Altitude thing.

A friend at work just got his pilot license. He flies small Cesna type airplanes out of North Omaha. As a pilot, he has firsthand knowledge of DA. He told me that as of this AM at 11:00, the DA at Blair airport was just short of 4000'. This is from a set altitude of close to 1300'.

Now I took this info and went to Federal Ballistics website and entered for 175 SMK 308cal. 1st entry at 1300' and temp of 70. 2nd entry at 3500 ' and temp of 70. Both with 200yd zero.

The trajectory diff was only 1.3" at 500yds, 2.8" at 600yds, 4.9" at 700yds, up to 19.3" at 1000 yds.

I found this incredible, as I had no idea that around here (Omaha area) that we could have such a huge swing in altitude which affects ballistics by a huge amount when trying to engage a 24" target.

Just an FYI and hope I am correct. :-\

Did this calculator ask for any kind of barometric pressure or pressure altitude?  Calculating density altitude starts by taking your elevation and correcting it for non-standard pressure which results in the "Pressure Altitude".  Then you take the Pressure Altitude and adjust it for non-standard temperature which gives you the "Density Altitude".

High temperatures, low pressure, and humid air will all increase the Density Altitude.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
Did this calculator ask for any kind of barometric pressure or pressure altitude? 

Not sure how the info is calculated. He has an app on his phone and dials up the conditions at each airport that he may fly to. I assume that the data is calculated at each airport. I'll see if I can find out what the app is.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
I've been playing with different altitudes and barometric pressures and it's amazing how much difference it makes at long ranges. According to the charts, with my 20" barreled .308 I'm able to keep an 180 gr SMK supersonic well past 1000 yards if I'm at Lincoln elevation, but drop it down near sea level and it goes subsonic around 950 or so.  At lower elevations it looks like I'll run out of clicks on my scope, but around here I have plenty to spare.

I wanted to try some 178 gr Amax or 175 SMK's, but they're like hen's teeth right now.  From what I've read the 180 SMK isn't the best long range bullet because of the shape of its tail.  Hopefully I can use what I have to work up a useable load, and when some Amax bullets become available I can give them a try.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:49:33 AM by bkoenig »

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
My guy at work uses the program called Foreflight and then some link called metars ?

Like he can punch up KK46 for Blair, then go to the metars and the info is there.

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
I just ordered some AR500 targets.  One 12" gong and one half size IPSC silhouette, paid a hair over $80 shipped which seems to be pretty cheap.  Now if I can just get some time to try and stretch the legs on my rifle....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
I assume that the data is calculated at each airport. I'll see if I can find out what the app is.

Yes, the pressure or altimeter setting as it is known to pilots is calculated at each airport that makes such reports.  Otherwise, if you pulled up a town that had no official weather reporting, the pressure would be an estimate using surrounding station data. Most weather apps will tell you the altimeter for a specific location.  I use The Weather Channel app for an un-official source of weather information.

My guy at work uses the program called Foreflight and then some link called metars ?

Yes, a METAR is the official current condition report that pilots use. 

The pressure (altimeter setting) you get from these sources is not the actual pressure at the station.  It is actually representative of what the barometric pressure would be at sea level given the barometric conditions at the station.  For example, if the pressure is reported as 29.92" at Lincoln, the ACTUAL pressure would be approximately 28.72" since the Lincoln airport is about 1,200ft.  Sounds goofy, but there is an important reason for this in aviation.

My assumption is that the ballistic calculators will use the common pressure read from most weather sources.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
If anyone is interested in attending a similar style match here's one in Missouri I ran across.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_3/232686_MISSOURI___NEW_STEEL_LONG_RANGE_TACTICAL_PRECISION_MATCH____JUNE_23RD___HOUSTON__MO.html

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
A package showed up today from Redding Reloading Equipment. They have generously donated two 50% off gift certificates to the SAPPRC prize table!!

More info on Redding:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/

I use Redding comp dies for .308, and they are definitely among the best, IMO. As near as I can tell, these gift certificates are for 50% off of an order of unlimited size. We also have a 8" Rifle Gong donated by www.nebraskacoyote.com, and a $100 gift certificate from Centrolutions/MWTS. More prizes are on the way, from companies like Nightforce Optics and Run-N-Iron Customizing. And don't worry, some prizes will be saved for "tough luck."

On a separate note, I was out on the main match area last week, the wind was so strong that I had to anchor down the spotting scope. I Kestrel'ed the wind at the firing point at up to 35mph, full value. Be ready for it!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
Very nice.  I also use Redding dies for .308.  Good stuff.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
(sigh)  It would indeed be nice if Jon added some of the pistol stuff to the score....

You actually gave me  pretty good idea this weekend.

No pistol targets will inherently be worth points (and you still have to hit them all), but there may, or may not, be an opportunity to get *bonus* points on some pistol stuff. (Not gear related)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
Still three slots left folks!

I've been holding off on marketing this too hard, cause I would prefer this to be all local/NFOA guys.

Worked on targets and some other match-related stuff today. If you want to help out, let me know. We could always use an extra hand, and you are welcome to shoot the course with me the day before.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
And another package for the prize table from Brownell's/Sinclair International. A whole boat load of gift certificates!!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
Ok, the rest of you are in trouble.  I have added an accessory to my rifle that virtually guarantees I will win.

Something so tactical, you can't even buy one (but mainly because I made it in my garage).

BEHOLD.......

THE TACTICAL BOLT KNOB!

Seriously, the factory bolt knob kind of sucked.  It was hard to get hold of when it was flipped up next to the scope.  Instead of buying a kit or paying someone to add one I cranked it out in about 30 minutes on my lathe.  I didn't have any stock of the right size laying around so I turned it out of a grade 8 bolt (which has the machining properties of chewing gum, BTW).  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I didn't have to pay someone an arm and a leg to do it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
In my never ending quest to find new toys....these look interesting:

https://www.accuracy1stdg.com/store/catDetail.cfm?catID=58

Analog ballistic calculators customized to your gun & load.  No batteries to run down, don't have to worry about them getting wet, etc.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
A big thanks to Run-N-Iron for becoming a match sponsor with their generous donation!!

Need some smithing done? Check out http://www.runniron.com/

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:03:23 PM by wallace11bravo »