< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Building an AR SBR  (Read 1499 times)

Offline hangarflying

• NFOA Full Member
Building an AR SBR
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:09 PM »
I'm still in the very early research phase (as in, it's something I'd like to do in the future but haven't really seriously started pricing parts or anything). I would like to build an AR SBR, and am wondering about the process. Can I buy a stripped lower that I intend to use for the SBR first, or should I apply for the tax stamp before buying anything?

Thanks.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Building an AR SBR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
The tax stamp is assigned to the receiver, which includes serial number.  You must purchase the receiver before submitting your Form 1.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
The tax stamp is assigned to the receiver, which includes serial number.  You must purchase the receiver before submitting your Form 1.

This. The other option is to buy a complete short-barreled rifle from a class 3 dealer (or elsewhere and have them do the transfer for you) and file the form 4 with the dealer. Then, once the tax stamp is received, it will be transferred to you as a complete rifle.

The form 1 is the request to construct your own NFA weapon using a stripped receiver.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
yep, you need a serial number for your form.  you also can only list 1 caliber (5.56 for instance).  no more multi caliber forms are accepted.  after the form is approved though, you can have as many uppers and calibers and barrel lengths you want on your SBR.  confused yet?  just ask away, SBR's are fun and very versatile.

my suggestion, purely my suggestion and nothing else... if building from scratch, buy your parts if or when you can.  availability kind of sucks right now.  i like building AR stuff and i'm grateful other members here have helped me out a ton.  or you can just buy a standard AR and have the barrel cut down after your Form 1 is approved.

ETA:
oh yea, Sean brought up a good point...

3 ways to SBR:
1. Form 4... pre-assembled SBR from dealer (or individual) to you
2. Form 1... cutting down a standard AR barrel or buying a pre-built SBR/pistol upper
3. Form 1... building SBR from scratch.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:28:46 PM by RobertH »
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Depending on the specifics you want, I would recommend  the 'building the Pistol' route. That way you can shoot it & tweak it while you wait for the stamp (currently 6+ mos). Once it arrives you slap on your stock and are ready to go.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud