< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: needing new tires  (Read 2085 times)

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
needing new tires
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
who has the best price on some BFG A/T KOs in town?

If not then just some decent all weather radials for a 4x4 tacoma. 3" lift I think.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: needing new tires
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
I prefer to do business with T.O. Haas.

I've been working with Matt for years.  Followed him from the 50th and L location over to 120th and Center.  Matt has always taken good care of me.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
Check out the new Discount Tire in Omaha. Ive recently bought two sets of tires there and their customer service is top notch. They will also meet or beat any competitors price.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
I love it that Discount Tire is now in Omaha.  They can also get any tire off their internet site shipped to the store if it's not in stock and offer the internet pricing from what I hear. 

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
I usually get my tires from the tirerack.com  For all terrain type tires like the BF Goodrich A/Ts, take a look at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (they are listed as a commercial tire on the tirerack for some incomprehensible reason).  I've got some on my winter beater and they are amazing tires.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »
I've bought through tirebuyer.com and had TO Hass do the mounting (mounting was included in overall price).  Saved a bunch over what TO's quoted me earlier for the same tires.  I'll do it again the next time I need tires.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
dukduk,

Are you military or ex-military?  Some times the base stores (BX, PX, etc.) have discounts with local stores.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
ya but the Firestone on base is normally msrp, like most other things

thanks for the links, looking em up right now.

if you only had one set if tires, would you go with the all terrain style or regular all weather street tires? as bald and dry rotted my bfgs are, they were awesome in the snow, on the roads at least.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:02:09 PM by dukduk »

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
My '13 F150 came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A and they seem like a good tire but don't know how much that attributed to the drivetrain of the truck.  They do have a ton of siping though.  When they wear out I really want to try a taller than stock set of BFG AT's since a lot of people rave about them.  The 96 Dodge 12v I had came with a new set of BFG AT knockoff but since it had open diff's front and rear stock honestly have no idea how well they work. 

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
How much will you use it off road, and in what way?

There are some good tires now with all terrain features but are still considered a Hiway all-season.  These are usually quieter tires on pavement than more agressive off road tires.  The BFG Rugged Terrain is one model to look at, and might be better than the T/A KO.   I'm not a Goodyear fan.  Have had the Wrangler LS and the Wranger SR-A before and they are ok, but not a fan of the performance in bad weather.  I think the call them Goodyear because you are lucky to get a good year out of them.  ;)

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
A Cooper Zeon LTZ and Hankook Dynapro are 2 I would look at.  I've had both and not a complaint about either, plus these will probably run a little cheaper than the BFG's. 

I've heard really good things about the Cooper AT3's as well.

NRA Member

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
I'm leaning toward the Cooper Zeon LTZ  myself, but they are pricier for the size I need than the BFG.  No idea about pricing for the Tacoma in the OP.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
lol the 1% of the time I go offroad is the dirt roads at ENGC. I'm a jeep guy so maybe it's just me telling myself I need ATs. Jeeps back on Guam since we could only ship 1 car. There are some less expensive options. I plan on going with 265/70r16 for the tall skinny profile. Is that good for winter?

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
I think the call them Goodyear because you are lucky to get a good year out of them.  ;)

Part of me hopes you're right but for some reason it seems the factory tires last longer than the aftermarket ones.  LOL

Those Cooper Zeon LTZ look nice but have limited sizes.   :-\

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
I plan on going with 265/70r16 for the tall skinny profile. Is that good for winter?

Yes. With narrower tires it's easier to get through the muck.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
I highly recommend you look at General Grabber AT2, I have had great luck with them (2 sets and 120k miles on `01 Tacoma DBL Cab). Now, both my cousin and a brother use them too. Hard to tell much of a difference in tread pattern between them and BFG AT. Save yourself a couple hundred dollars..wallyworld can order them and put them on for you.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
my father and i both have Chevy Silervados and we both have Goodyear Wrangler Duractrac LT265/70R17's on them.  they look cool and perform well, but they are kind of loud on the city streets/highways.  we got 10 ply tires because the soybean stubble has given us flat tires on other truck tires.  i have yet to get stuck in the snow with those tires.  but these tires are about $250-ish each.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
so I'm looking at 235/85r16 duratracs or whatever the tire guy recommends. deeper the tread thickness the better? last longer or for traction?

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
Broke down and went with the BFGs 235/85r16

Skinnys! feels like I'm driving a stock 2WD mini truck.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
Nice choice, looks good.  You'll like them.  I'd suggest adjusting your air pressure for good treadwear and contact patch, looks like they put the MAX 80 PSI of pressure in them. 

When I had 32x11.50R15 BFG's on my old Toyota, I ran 26 psi in the rear and 30 psi in the front(they were Load range C tires though as yours are probably D or E's.)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.