< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is a Nebraska permit valid in Colorado ??  (Read 2448 times)

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Is a Nebraska permit valid in Colorado ??
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »
I'm going on a quick trip to Denver, I thought I would see if my Nebraska or Utah CCW permit is valid in Colorado ???

Any body know ??

FLUFF

Offline Blkcat

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Is a Nebraska permit valid in Colorado ??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Nope - The Nebraska permit is not valid in Colorado and the Utah permit is valid only if you are a resident of Utah.  See http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for info on reciprocity nation-wide.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
 NOT YET, but you can conceal  a loaded handgun in your vehicle or on your person in your vehicle in Colorado and open carry is legal. No loaded long guns allowed though.

I am hoping that Nebraska will accept the training requirements that Colorado CCW permits demand as stringent enough to start reciprocity with them. The Colorado rule is they will honor any state that honors their permit, but you must be a resident of the state that issued your permit

Check out CO's version of the NFOA for lots of good info  http://www.rmgo.org/ccwguide/  and   http://www.rmgo.org/faq/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:53:40 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
Thanks Dan I had not researchd nor knew that interesting information of "you can conceal  a loaded handgun in your vehicle or on your person in your vehicle ".
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »
Here is the FAQ question and answer fro the RMGO website

Can I carry concealed in my vehicle without a permit (even in Denver)?  YES

See C.R.S. 18-12-204

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
Didn't have any issues in Denver,

but I have seen enough of it to know that I don't like it...........

FLUFF

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:44:54 PM »
 The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has officially recognized permits issued by the state of Nebraska.

It may take a little time for the Colorado reciprocity information to be updated on their website.

excerpts from an email string with  Lee H., a former student of Chris Z., who worked diligently to get this issue handled. Thanks Lee!

With regard to Nebraska, the Attorney General ultimately deferred the process to the Nebraska State Patrol (much as our AG has deferred it to us).  We have been exchanging correspondence with the Patrol and received a letter from their legal counsel, which we felt needed a little clarification.  We obtained that earlier today, so I am able to say that we now recognize reciprocity with Nebraska.  There are several other procedures, including posting this information on our website, and sending out notifications to CO LE agencies, which we need to follow up with, and I have asked a supervisor to handle this as soon as practically possible.  Our official position, however, is that we now recognize reciprocity.

I appreciate your bringing this to my attention, and your patience and understanding as we navigated these waters.  Undoubtedly, your perseverance led to a faster conclusion than might otherwise have occurred.

Please don't hesitate to call or write if you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns.

Respectfully,

Frank

Frank R. Vanecek
Agent in Charge
Instacheck Unit
Colorado Bureau of Investigation
(303) 239-4235
frank.vanecek@cdps.state.co.us
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Yippee!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Thank you Lee!   Good job.