< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thoughts on a decent shot timer.  (Read 949 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Thoughts on a decent shot timer.
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
Been thinking of getting a CED 7000, about the cheapest I could find. Anybody got experience with this one or have other suggestions.

Been using the surefire Shot Timer for on my phone, great for dryfire, crappy for the range, if I keep using it it may end up  in the creek, so I thought it may be cheaper to get an dedicated timer.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Thoughts on a decent shot timer.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
I use the shot timer app by innovative applications. It's free IIRC.

It still screws up every once in a while, and I damn sure wouldn't score a match with it, but it works well enough for my personal needs.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
Been thinking of getting a CED 7000, about the cheapest I could find. Anybody got experience with this one or have other suggestions.

Been using the surefire Shot Timer for on my phone, great for dryfire, crappy for the range, if I keep using it it may end up  in the creek, so I thought it may be cheaper to get an dedicated timer.

Phone shot timers just don't really work for actual range practice, in my experience.  They can work pretty well for par times in dryfire, but even then they aren't necessarily great.  (The Surefire timer, for example, isn't actually correct in its settings when using par times.)

There are a ton of perfectly good timers out there, all of which have pros and cons.  I own three different types, but the one I use most for generalized range practice is my CED 7000.    Pretty much does everything I need it to for practice, have used it to run matches, battery lasts a ton of time---just a good all-around timer.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CED-7000-Timer-P168.aspx

Perfectly good choice.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
I have tried 3 of the phone apps and they have had issues. I imagine part of it is the microphone of the phone itself. After wasting so much time trying to get them to work properly I figured it was time to get a timer.   

(The Surefire timer, for example, isn't actually correct in its settings when using par times.)

It took me longer than I would like to admit to figure that out, there is surefire time then reality.

I went ahead and ordered the CED 7000.

Cheers.