< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open Carry...*gasp*  (Read 13093 times)

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
  • I'm just a girl with a glock.
Open Carry...*gasp*
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
Hello Patriots.
I'm new here, so I'm not really in tune with the forum culture...but as I was skimming over the forum, I wondered why there appeared to be such a negative view on open carry?  I don't mean to open a can of worms...just curious.
FYI:  I open carry.  Not that I have a problem with CCW or anything.  I've never had a problem carrying my firearm visibly here in Lincoln, and I think it's really great as far as public awareness and education goes...but I'd like to gain a better understanding on why some feel so strongly about the subject. 
You have more confidence than a woman in a tampon commercial...
*Michelle*

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Open Carry...*gasp*
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum MissMichella.
I could be mistaken, but I`m not so sure if it is a negative view rather than more of a `just not for me` issue.
I have open carried before when I lived in AZ, but then only when headed out of town to remote 4 wheeling (OK and a little partying) areas.
I say if a person chooses to open carry, and they do so in a proper manner, then right on, go for it!
I say proper manner due to seeing an individual in a Circle K convenient store (~18 months ago also in Phx. AZ) with what looked like a Desert eagle hanging 3/4 out of his back pocket ???

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
Oh, to maybe help you have a better understanding;
I would rather not have the `attention` drawn to me, that carrying open might bring.
Out of sight, out of mind more or less...element of surprise a little perhaps? IDK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
Prudent.  That word seems to typify the justification of concealed carry over open carry for many people.

Lets say, you have $15,000 cash as the days receipts from your business.  Do you open carry it to your bank, or do you conceal carry it to the bank? 

Lets say, you have a new puppy.  Do you conceal carry him / her to the park, or does open carry work better? 

Things that are of no business to anyone else, and only important to me, I keep concealed.   

The puppy is really only my business, but I am quick to share cute cuddly things I adopt.  Nothing cute and cuddly about a 10mm Glock.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:29:41 PM by Gary »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Personally, I would rather not have anyone know I'm carrying.  I don't want to be a target.  I suppose you could make the argument that visibly displaying a gun on your hip is a deterrent, but you're also drawing unwanted attention.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
You are open carrying, say in a park, walking your new puppy.  Strangers approach to pet the dog and ask directions.  They look nice, so you watch them, but let them approach.  Who does not want to pet a puppy?  In a split second, their real motive for walking up to you is known.  They just robbed a bank, and the bag they have is bank cash.  They have one gun, and two robbers looking to carjack a ride.  They were looking for a car, when they spotted your gun on your hip.  One robber with a concealled gun, being bold, walks up asking to pet your puppy, and ask you where the bus stop is.  When you raise your hand to point to the bus stop, the robber takes his gun, and plants a bullet in your temple.  Killing you instantly.  The other guy grabs your gun, and now they have two guns, and walk on, still looking for a vehicle.

If you had your weapon concealed, your puppy would still have a best friend.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
I might find a 10mm Glock to be cute an cuddly.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
There's two issues you're prolly seeing.

A) Open carry is not for me.

B) Open carry at an event or similar to reinforce 2A rights etc is possibly the wrong way to go about things.

For (A) - to each their own.  Whatever.  I plan on eventually starting to open carry every so often, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

For (B) - an open carry event can both be great and bad. 

Concerning that one guy's planned march into DC with a bunch of folks open carrying... that's just a bad idea.  Too many things can go wrong and make the situation nasty - let alone what it might be do for the 'cause' he's trying to bolster.  It's a highly publicized event... one ****tard, drunk, someone with a bad agenda, or someone willing to 'martyr' for the other side can turn that march into a catastrophe.

Concerning an open carry event locally, this kind of ties in with (A) a bit.  Public perception and other stuff is a bit taught at the moment... and some feel it might not be the correct time for such a thing.  Personally, I like the idea of a some other charity event (PD/FD softball game or something) that has open carry as it's subtitle.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
MissMichella, not by ANY Means trying to steer you away from NFOA, because the more active members here the better..but
I also frequent another forum and recall a member there mentioning a site: opencarry.org
Just thought you might enjoy discussions there as well.

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
Wow.  The robber-puppy story was SAD!
I understand the idea of not wanting to be a target.  I also think that there are countless scenarios that could justify one method over the other.  I don't think a lot of potential criminals are going to report out that they were going to commit a crime, but decided not to because they saw someone carrying.  I suppose there is no way to know how many crimes were prevented by open carrying, and how many people were victims due to open carrying.
I've been advocating open carry for public awareness on the constitution, education, exercising rights, prevention of crime...blah, blah blah.  However, I also am a small female, usually dressed up for work, and carting around a toddler.  Not a lot of people appear to even notice I'm armed.  I don't think I could conceal my gun on my person without being extremely obvious.  Unless I put it in my purse...which is full of other crap.
I'm a pretty big advocate of gun rights...but I don't think I know enough about the pros and cons of open vs. concealed to make  a big stand, so I really appreciate the insight.
P.S.  Glocks are always cuddly.
*Michelle*

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
I don't think I could conceal my gun on my person without being extremely obvious. 

You'd be surprised.  I'm a fairly thin guy (ok, I drank too much beer this winter and didn't exercise enough so not as thin as I used to be) and I can easily conceal a full size CZ 75.  It's all a matter of having the right clothing and the right holster.  I do think guys may have a little bit of an advantage there because our shoulders tend to be wider than our hips, which helps a shirt drape over the gun. 

When I go running I wear this holster with an airweight S&W .38 Special and even with running shorts and a t-shirt it's invisible. 

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Yeah..I liked the concealed carry your cash vs open carry to the bank example far better than the puppy bank robber scenario...I mean what kind of bank robbers rob a bank with no getaway car and a cache of weapons :laugh:

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
Beer padding was necessary for this winter.  So.  Cold.
I carry a blocky cocky Glock 9mm...which I have no idea where I would put to conceal.  I also can't pull off baggy clothing...without looking pretty ghetto.  Maybe in the hair?  Hm...

Thanks, Hank!  I'll have to check it out.

unfy, I just started open carrying, though I've had my gun for awhile...it's been kind of neat.  Most people don't even notice, but the few that do have been really nice and ask some pretty great questions.  I'm all about public awareness for issues.  It's the lobbyist coming out!
*Michelle*

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
I have seen too many articles of individuals carrying open and ultimately robbed of their firearm. A firearm openly displayed on your person is similar to having several hundred dollars paper clipped to your pants. Someone is going to notice and plan to convert the property. Seems to defeat a purpose.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:55:29 PM by SS_N_NE »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
Yeah..I liked the concealed carry your cash vs open carry to the bank example far better than the puppy bank robber scenario...I mean what kind of bank robbers rob a bank with no getaway car and a cache of weapons :laugh:

The head shot and you are dead, happened recently, different circumstances, but the gist was the same.  The MIT police officer, killed by the Boston Bombers.   That is where I got the factoids from, to make a point.   If someone would have the balls to walk up to a police officer, and do that, running away from a public bombing, anything is possible. 

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:10 AM »
Hello there MissMichella! You are right! Here and most of the rest of the state have a huge open carry is scary thought process. I open carry all the time and have only had one issue in years because of it and it was from an uneducated cop.

Please dont buy into the whole to open carry you must be preppy, clean cut image thing that some people like to throw about. We are a modern world and the looks have changed since the bobby socks and poodle skirts went out of style.

Also I have been able to educate far more of Joe Public by open carrying my firearm than I ever could have by hiding because of ....dont want no trouble here...no unwanted attention.....but what if.....speculations and its akin to like how I have neck tattoos, I have more old people, kids and soccer moms approach my "scary looking ass" just to talk up a storm about, OH did that hurt etc etc

By the way welcome to the forum! And also if you think open carry is frowned upon, wait to see you how scared people are of police officers here ;)
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it can be addictive. 

Personally, I would rather not have anyone know I'm carrying.  I don't want to be a target.  I suppose you could make the argument that visibly displaying a gun on your hip is a deterrent, but you're also drawing unwanted attention.

Pretty much my feelings.  I conceal carry a Glock 17, (nice tiny little cuddly thing).   :laugh:

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 06:45:16 AM »
The Columbus Chief o' Police has stated that anyone open carrying in Columbus will be "detained and questioned."  Whatever that amounts to, I don't know, but you have been warned.  :)

I can see the educational part of it, but I can also see it panicking the sheep as well.  Furthermore, I believe it gives an opportunity for someone who dislikes "those damn NRA types" to call in a "man with a gun" call and jazz it up a little maybe.   And last but not least, I believe concealed gives me an advantage and more flexibility should I ever find myself in a bad situation. 

So I go concealed.

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
interesting about the Columbus police chief.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
Welcome MissMichella to the boards.  My niece conceal carry's everyday and one way is with the Flashbang holster.  I don't open carry myself, but do conceal carry.  I'm about 6' and 250 or so, (yeah, forgot to do the sit ups for awhile) and use a fanny pack to carry.  The pack so beat up nobody ever knows.  Yes Glocks are extremely cuddly, specially my G23 which is the carry gun.  Here is the Flashbang website and video.  Might have to get a different firearm though.

http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/

Again, welcome to the boards.