< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New .22 Rifle Game  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
New .22 Rifle Game
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
Hi All,
Thought I would post a note on a new game we are going to try at the Lincoln Izaak Walton range. Each Sunday of the month we have a Big Bore Gong match that I have listed on the forum before. In the up coming months of August and September we are going to hold an extra but seperate match after the gong shoot. It will be called the .22 Rifle Creedmore. This match will be shot at 100, 200 and 300 yards using .22 rimfire rifles with either open or scope sights. The targets will be steel square plates. The 100 yard target will be shot off hand with the 200 and 300 yard targets shot off cross sticks either prone or sitting. Who ever hits the most steel wins. Open sights and scope will be scored as seperate classes. Ammo must be .22 rimfire standard or high vel with hyper vel such as CCI Stingers not allowed. No .17 cal rimfire included. I am posting a picture of the rifle I have been shooting in these type of long range .22 matches at other ranges. Let me know what you think and any comments are more than welcome. We have been shooting the course of fire after the BBG events for the last two months and have found that hitting the steel with a .22 at these ranges indeed can be done. Hope to hear from others on this idea.
Goose

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: New .22 Rifle Game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »
Question are .22 Rimfire Magnum's allowed?
I own a Magnum Research that needs exercised.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »
Question are .22 Rimfire Magnum's allowed?
I own a Magnum Research that needs exercised.

Hi Randy,
In order to keep things simple we are going to stick to .22 LR for the time being. The .22 magnums,.17 Rimfires and .22 centerfires are birds of another feather that would require keeping track of several diffrent classifications at a time inorder to keep things on a level playing field, so for now its going to be .22 LR only.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
Thank You for the clarification.

Darn It I need to exercise that .22 Mag.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
I'll be there with bells on.

Ok, maybe no bells, but I'll be there.

Offline jakub

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
I'm wondering how often you can hit a taget out to 200-300yrds? Out of ten shots how many would hit? The reason I ask is I've read that when the bullet goes subsonic the shock throws it of course. I've tried some shots that far and had a difficult time hitting a door size object. I assumed the subsonic thing was true but maybe I had to many holes in the target from bullets that could hit that far. Also how big are the targets?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »
Well, once I had my sights adjusted I was able to hit the 300 yard target pretty much every shot.  That's with a tang sight, shooting prone from cross sticks.  

I forget how big the targets are though...I think the 300 was 3' x 3'.  Wildgoose could tell us if he stops by.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:51:22 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »
sooo, what time will this start and do we need to be Ikes Members?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
I'm not sure on the September match, I know we're still trying to work out some of the details.  I won't be able to make that one since I'm going to attend the GI appleseed.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »
sooo, what time will this start and do we need to be Ikes Members?

It will start around 12:30 or so after the gong match is over. You dont have to be Ikes members to join in. Cost will be ten bucks. Last time we ran into problems getting on target for some as they did not have sight settings for the 300 yd (24"x24") and with the heavy wind that day we could not see where they were hitting to make corrections. This next time around we will try and see if we can deal with this better. I plan on at least getting everyone on target before we start the shoot. If any one cant get on target for what ever reason the match fee will be refunded. Hopefully this can be dealt with. For those like myself once on target hitting is very doable if you can keep up with the wind and light.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
For that matter, you don't have to be a member to shoot in the big bore match either....if anyone has a big single shot you should stop by.  It's a blast.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »
Sounds interesting.  I'll try to get out to at least one of those shoots.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »
For that matter, you don't have to be a member to shoot in the big bore match either....if anyone has a big single shot you should stop by.  It's a blast.

pretty sure my Ruger No. 1 in 375H&H wouldn't have been legal... man I wish I still had that gun...

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »
pretty sure my Ruger No. 1 in 375H&H wouldn't have been legal... man I wish I still had that gun...
[/quote]

Wrong you are DH! As long as you were shooting cast lead bullets it would be just fine. Any single shot .32 Cal or larger shooting cast lead bullets smokless or black is OK.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »
ah... interesting...

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
are these going on still this year?  I just bought a new CZ 452 and want to PLAY!!!!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
Not sure...we had some problems last year with being able to see the .22 holes in the target backers at 200 & 300 meters.  We need to figure out a way to spot where people are hitting, otherwise it's too hard to get on target at that range.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:39 AM »
Mr. B has the nut of it. If we can come up with a way to get folks on target in reasonable amout of time I would be OK with running another match or two after the Big Bore Gong at Ikes like we tried to do last year. The targets are ok as we found out and once on it shure can be fun. I got your message on the backers so maybe we could get together soon and see if we can get this worked out. I still think that the shoot could be a fun time and a sucessful event if this problem can be dealt with. Heck last year when I broke the firing pin on my 45-70 Rolling Block and just shot the 300 meter pig with my .22 for the heck of it I nailed an eight out of ten! Let me know if you want to give it a go.   

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »
I'm pretty open this weekend, so give me a call or send me an email if you want to work on it. 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
I am booked for this weekend and out of town next one too. I think the ranges are closed this weekend for the big youth trap shoot anyway. I will try and get back to you when things are not as busy for me. I checked the event calander and there are no shoot days this summer that we could not work a second shoot in if we wanted too. So  maybe we can work it out.