< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Beretta Nano  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Beretta Nano
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
Anyone have one? Shot one? Opinions welcome. Thinking about up grading my 380 mini auto to a Nine. Nano seems to be the right size and price but I don't have any experience with subcompact 9mm's. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Beretta Nano
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
I think GreyGeek has one for concealed carry.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »
I think GreyGeek has one for concealed carry.

That I do.   I LOVE IT!   

Very clean design, easy to draw and holster without snagging, and very easy to conceal.  I carry mine IWB in the small of my back.   
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HR52X8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=651998669-20
Sometimes, before summer set in I'd carry it without a holster in my winter coat pocket.  Now that summer is here I have, on several occasions, simply carried it in my right front pocket.  It doesn't print, but I don't wear my jeans skin tight to impress the girls.  ;D

It is very easy to disassemble and reassemble.  It is also very easy to take completely apart down to the serialized frame and re-assemble.   

Fits nice in my hand but for my long fingers the trigger pull is a tad long, which took some adjustments of my pulling technique but seems normal, now.   The gun was sighted in at the factory  and is VERY accurate.  Seven  yards or less it can make a tight group, and for some well trained shooters with a steady hand it can give 6 out of 10  on the target's center of mass at 100 yards, not that you'd want to sling lead that far with this small  of a gun. 

Even though it is small it weighs in  at over 20 ounces unloaded.   Recoil can vary from moderate (light loads) to strong (heavy loads).   Too light a powder load or bullet will increase significantly the number of FTE's, assuming one isn't limp wristing.    Beretta specifically states that they do NOT recommend using 115 gr or lighter bullets because the lighter bullets have more frequent FTEs.   I carry 124 gr JHP for defense and I shoot reloaded 124gr JRN for practice.  (124gr Berrysbullets, 4.0 gr HP-38, OAL 1.125")  I started out shooting 147 gr bullets and after using 124 gr bullets the 147 gr bullets have a noticeably harder kick and recoil.   I limp wristed three FTE's out of 150 shots with 147 gr bullets while range testing for my CHP.  I haven't had an FTE since, except when I was testing some rounds made with a very light load -- 3.9 grs of HP-38.   Ignoring those, after almost 1,000 rounds through the pistol I haven't had a single FTE.  The is no noticeable wear on the metal  parts  of the gun except where the slide rubbed against the  Kydex holster during practice draws.  The ferritic coating has rubbed off on the corner of the slide for  about an inch.

My wife didn't want to shoot it any more after about 20 rounds because her wrist and hand got sore.  The gun was also too heavy for her arm and hand strength, even though several women shooters recommend the Nano for other women on their YouTube videos.

Beretta also warns against dry  firing.

I purchased some 8 rd magazines, which also included the extension so that your pinky finger can get a gripe.   I also purchased a LaserMax sight, but I have practiced only once with it yet.   I didn't find it helpful but I'm sticking with it a while based on the encouragement of some members here who gave suggestions.     I re-installed it on my Nano and switched to an IWB leather holster made for the Nano with LaserMax.  Shooting out at Ikes is not allowed after sunset so I am not sure where I can test this rig.

The only safety on the gun is the double trigger and the LOOOONG trigger pull.  The trigger will not release the striker if dropped.  There is a  slide  hold open on the last round but there is no switch to do that and no safety switch on the side.  When needed you draw and fire.  No switches to flip.  There is a small button  on the right side that can be pushed with a toothpick,  pencil or ballpoint pen that decocks the firearm safely.

I bought a Lee 50th Anniversary press and 9mm dies.  I can load about one cartridge  per minute using a steady and comfortable pace.   One stroke to eject the primer and resize the case.  One stroke to spread the neck and seat a fresh primer.   I cycle the powder from measurer into the casing.   Start a bullet in the opened neck.   One stroke to seat the bullet to the chosen OAL and crimp the case.

The Nano's size gives up one property that I would like to have  -- a double stacked magazine.  The Nano standard magazine holds only 6 rounds, so one can have 6+1 in  the gun.  With the extended mag 8+1.   Add the 8 rounds in the extra clip I carry and I have 17 rounds.  A Glock 26 double stack mag holds 10+1 and the extension holds 12+1, or 25 rounds.  Eight more than the Nano.

Size wise the Nano and Glock 26 are almost identical, the Nano being slightly shorter and narrower.  Internally the parts look almost identical.  The big difference  is price.  Nano is $200 less.

All in all I am very pleased with the power of my Nano, its light weight, and its easy concealability. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:31:55 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
That I do.   I LOVE IT!
Very clean design, easy to draw and holster without snagging, and very easy to conceal.  I carry mine IWB in the small of my back.   
It is very easy to disassemble and reassemble.
All in all I am very pleased with the power of my Nano, its light weight, and its easy concealability. 
Thank you for the excellent and complete review GG! The reloading information is most appreciated also.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
I'll second what GG has to say.  I have one and its a great little pistol.  I have mine in an ankle holster usually with a second mag in a pocket and it works out really good for me.  I plan on getting an IWB holster for it eventually, when I ever find the time.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:30 AM »
I got one for my wife.

It's a great little sidearm, I'm thinking of getting something that size for a my ankle but in 40.

As for the Nano itself, I have no complaints. It's light, small, and perfect for concealment. Take down is no problem.

As for accuracy, as always that rests in the operator ...but with something this small, it's more likely to be a rather up close and personal encounter should it be used...so not a big deal.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
I got one for my wife.

My wife is 70 yrs old and not very strong.   I was hoping the Nano was small enough that she could charge the slide, aim and handle the recoil without any problems.  But, she could do none of it.  It was too hard for her to cycle the slide, too heavy to hold on target accurately, and it kicked to much.  She complained of her arm hurting after shooting a couple dozen rounds.

So, my goal  of both of us carrying the same weapon and using the same ammo, and reloading to keep things affordable, had died.

I downgraded to an HP22A which she  handles without any problems.   She can cycle the slide, remove the mag, load it and put it back in, aim and fire.  The recoil is non-existent.  She can put 10 rounds in the center of mass without any problems, and it is only the second gun she's ever shot.   She said she now enjoys going shooting with me using that gun because she doesn't fear it.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »
My wife is 70 yrs old and not very strong.   I was hoping the Nano was small enough that she could charge the slide, aim and handle the recoil without any problems.  But, she could do none of it.  It was too hard for her to cycle the slide, too heavy to hold on target accurately, and it kicked to much.  She complained of her arm hurting after shooting a couple dozen rounds.

So, my goal  of both of us carrying the same weapon and using the same ammo, and reloading to keep things affordable, had died.

I downgraded to an HP22A which she  handles without any problems.   She can cycle the slide, remove the mag, load it and put it back in, aim and fire.  The recoil is non-existent.  She can put 10 rounds in the center of mass without any problems, and it is only the second gun she's ever shot.   She said she now enjoys going shooting with me using that gun because she doesn't fear it.

I am also very happy with it, extremely simple and direct. Have not had a single issue with it.

However, I am still struggling to get her to like shooting at all, she fears things so much. Not in me having mine, but she fears her own capabilities. So trying to get her to practice and train is extremely difficult.

I can't comment on how she likes the shoot the Nano because she hasn't, but I like how it shoots, very accurate for being so small and sights so close.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:11:29 AM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...