< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: informing of CCW to park rangers  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
informing of CCW to park rangers
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
So I got my CCW a few months ago, and for the first time today since I got it I was on a state rec area (Wanahoo, for those wondering - nice place).  Pretty normal, the park ranger was walking around checking permits.  No problem, Im kinda preoccupied getting rigged up, so I just hand him mine and my wifes, he says thanks and walks away. 

It didnt even dawn on me till a few minutes later, that I probably should have told him I was armed (I realized that when I noticed he had a Glock on his hip when he was farther down checking others)

So, am I correct in thinking that I should have?  Or, since he wasnt being very official (not checking IDs or anything except if we have a fishing permit) was it not needed?  He is thought of as a LEO, right?

Just looking for some input from the seasoned vets in here.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
Re: informing of CCW to park rangers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »
Conservation Officers are absolutely considered peace officers, and the contact you had was absolutely contact for an official purpose in the course of his duties, so you should have informed him.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:53:20 PM by pfinn »

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Conservation Officers are absolutely considered peace officers, and the contact you had was absolutely official, so you should have informed him.

Gotcha, thats what I thought.  I cant believe I didnt think of it before hand. Wont do that again!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Yes. And I will tell you, from my experience anyway, they will just say thank you, and move along.  As the nice fella told me- "We have a different viewpoint when it comes to guns than some others"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Nebraska12

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
Glad to see this thread. I'm not certain I would have thought of it either. I have however, emailed the Game and Parks Law Enforcement Division with some questions regarding CCW in state parks. The email was well received and they answered it as I thought they would. In a nutshell, there is no law that prohibits carrying in state parks for those that are legally allowed to do so. Regulations that exist pertain to hunting and discharging your firearm.
'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'[/SIZE][/I]