< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Quotes to live by.  (Read 2770 times)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Quotes to live by.
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

Keep this going......
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:26:20 PM by Dan W »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Qoutes to live by.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
?Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.?

Abraham Lincoln
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Hope your not trying to tell me something.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:07:25 PM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
Hope your not trying to tell me something.  ;D

nah, just an old favorite
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »
also see my sig line for a another old favorite
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »
"If you want to be respected, be respectable."
~OnTheFly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
?The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.?

Albert Einstein
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:37 AM »
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government ? lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ? Patrick Henry

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. ? Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:57:53 AM »
"Political Correctness."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:44 PM »
Sig.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:09 AM »
"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself.

Benjamin Franklin
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 01:49:10 AM »
"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

- GEORGE WASHINGTON (from his Farewell Address, 1796)

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
Benjamin Franklin

Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.
Benjamin Franklin

The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy.
Benjamin Franklin

They are of the People, and return again to mix with the People, having no more durable preeminence than the different Grains of Sand in an Hourglass. Such an Assembly cannot easily become dangerous to Liberty. They are the Servants of the People, sent together to do the People's Business, and promote the public Welfare; their Powers must be sufficient, or their Duties cannot be performed. They have no profitable Appointments, but a mere Payment of daily Wages, such as are scarcely equivalent to their Expences; so that, having no Chance for great Places, and enormous Salaries or Pensions, as in some Countries, there is no triguing or bribing for Elections.
Benjamin Franklin

An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens....There has never been a moment of my life in which I should have relinquished for it the enjoyments of my family, my farm, my friends & books.
Thomas Jefferson
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:06 AM »
If it feels good, do it.

Unknown
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »
If it feels good, do it.

Unknown

I dislike that one.  A LOT.   I understand that Heroin feels good....... I'm not about to do that.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
Don't go thinking I'm a druggie now, but there are a lot of people who feel the same way about drugs that you do about guns, i.e. the government should have no say in the matter.  My quote was meant to lighten the mood a little, as things seemed to be getting seriously boring.  See my sig.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »
Blah, Blah, Blah.   ::)

I dislike that one also Jim P.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:17:23 PM by huskergun »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:00:19 AM »
A&H, you hardly look like one (a druggy(drugee?))...... but that quote stinks.  If the only reason to do do something was if it felt good...... mankind would be to busy masturbating to accomplish much of anything.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.