< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Real Camping  (Read 3429 times)

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
Real Camping
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
Ok, does anyone know of a more backcountry type camping place within 3-4 hours of Omaha?

I just really hate camp grounds, don't really like seeing other human beings while I am out camping. Really want to truly get away for a few days.

Would like someplace that would have a river or lake access for water and fishing with thick forests to camp under.

I am trying to remember this one place I went to as child, but it's just been too long.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Real Camping
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »
I don't know of any, but I want to :)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:36:17 AM »
Check out Tuttle creek in Randolph Kansas. It's about 3 hours from here and is a campground. Most every time I go, I'm the only one out there. I definitely feel isolated.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
The Niobrara Trail anywhere along highway 12 near Niobrara.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
Try the Niobrara Valley Preserve on the Niobrara River, 1 miles west and 18 miles north of Ainsworth.   They are Googleable.

If that venue doesn't work, just use Google Map to prowl along the river.   You'll find what you seek.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
There are several backpack only sites at Indian Cave state park.  My son and I went there a few times a while back.  The only downside is there is no water nearby.  You pack it in with you and/or walk to find it and carry it back.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:52:35 PM »
Niobrara might be the main choice I guess....

Anyone know about water supplies at Hitchcock area just across the river?
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
Most any of the Wildlife Management Areas are fair game, so to speak, for primitive camping.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:02:18 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »
I have camped at Indian Cave State Park every spring for the last three years. My first trip was really just glorified car camping, but I have backpacked there the last two years.

Here are my photo albums from each trip:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157626421389320/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157629404785158/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157633078380331/

There is actually a water pump on the west side of the park, though the water it provides is a little rusty. I hiked to it last year when I ran out of water. This year my main problem with water was that my reservoir line froze. :)

This year the only other folks I saw were Boy Scouts. I've never had anyone walk into my campsite during any of my trips there. I imagine that the place is a lot busier during prime camping time in the summer, though.

Nice pics.  Son and I made two visits.  First was summer and it was HOT.  We were on the SE side of the park, so we wound up hiking down to the river to get more water which we then purified.  I'm still not sure how healthy it was, but I seem to have survived.  The last time we went was over a Thanksgiving weekend and there was plenty of snow on the ground so we didn't have to go too far to get water.  Kid is gone to college now, so I don't have my camping buddy any more.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
I didn't realize they had shelters like that at Indian Cave.  What part of the park were you in, CitizenClark?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
i just disappear along the creeks down home for a day or two. scares the family cuz i usually don't tell them where i am lol.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
I didn't realize they had shelters like that at Indian Cave.  What part of the park were you in, CitizenClark?

All of those pictures (other than the ones of St. Deroin) are in the eastern half of the park. Some of those shelters are on the south side, off of "hardwood trail," and one of them (the one with all the holes and a piece of the wall missing) is on the north side, closer to the river. Here is a scan of the park map, with the approximate locations of trailside shelters indicated: http://billhensley.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/indian-cave-state-park-trail-map.jpg

I really like camping at Indian Cave because those trailside shelters mean that I don't have to carry a tent.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:21:07 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Thanks, CitizenClark!

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
Thanks all.

We ended up at Niobrara...wasn't 100% of what I was looking for (wanted to do a couple mile hike in, find a camp spot rather than designated spots), but it had most of what I wanted.

Niobrara was nice, great privacy and beautiful areas (except the ticks, they are out in force this year, so guard your pets).  It was great temperatures too...during the day... at night it was pretty frigid.

Even managed to get my wife to go fishing...only made one catch and sadly it was too small to keep, but it was fun.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
I have camped at Indian Cave State Park every spring for the last three years. My first trip was really just glorified car camping, but I have backpacked there the last two years.

Here are my photo albums from each trip:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157626421389320/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157629404785158/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15234424@N04/sets/72157633078380331/

There is actually a water pump on the west side of the park, though the water it provides is a little rusty. I hiked to it last year when I ran out of water. This year my main problem with water was that my reservoir line froze.

This year the only other folks I saw were Boy Scouts. I've never had anyone walk into my campsite during any of my trips there. I imagine that the place is a lot busier during prime camping time in the summer, though.

Wow, that looks awesome.  I was starting to consider perhaps heading up this weekend as i see they have some rv sites still available, looks like a great place.

Looks like the Ash Grove Campground is all thats available.  hopefully it's not the scraps....

I'll definitely ccw on the journey if we go, anything i should worry about driving through iowa and missouri?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »
Schramm State Recreation Area has some of the Adirondack Shelters.  Not exactly isolated but it's a quick drive for some primitive camping.  My son and I just got back from some primitive camping at the western end of Merritt Reservoir.  We canoed there but there are trails as well.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
Kayak the Dismal River, if you come out alive in the end. It's not a given that you will like camping anymore.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger