< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Presishun rifles and such  (Read 2090 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Presishun rifles and such
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun shooting the Remington 700 I put together this winter.  I think I found a load it likes, now if I can just find more bullets...

I was out shooting it tonight with the can and after a few shots I walked down to the other end of the firing line to chew the fat with some other guys.  One of them asked who was shooting the .17 HMR  ;D

Let's see your precision rigs and what they can do....

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Presishun rifles and such
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 01:44:59 AM »
What caliber did you go with? I've had to prove to a few people (and take their money) that my 700ADL in 7MM Rem mag will do half inch groups at 200yds all day long. Factory loads aren't quite as good but the recipe I've worked up and load is very accurate.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »
It's a .308.  The limiting factor now is the scope and the guy looking through it.  Better glass with more magnification would help.  Last night I was shooting with the sun in my eyes and there was a ton of mirage so it really made it difficult.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »
I don't have any time to shoot mine thanks to the new job and school, but i have a Howa 1500 in .308. No can for me:( but the best I have managed was a 6 shot group in the same hole at 100, roughly 1 inch in diameter.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
You need to not sell that nice AR10 you built so you can come play at the match this fall.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
I need to sell that nice AR10 so I have a place to live.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
It's a .308.  The limiting factor now is the scope and the guy looking through it.  Better glass with more magnification would help.  Last night I was shooting with the sun in my eyes and there was a ton of mirage so it really made it difficult.

What optic and what suppressor are you using?

I came real close to picking up a 700-AAC, but after weighing in glass and everything else I wanted to do, punted the idea for the time being.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
What optic and what suppressor are you using?

I came real close to picking up a 700-AAC, but after weighing in glass and everything else I wanted to do, punted the idea for the time being.

Optic is a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10.  It's a pretty decent scope for the money, but better glass would be nice.  It tracks true so I figure it will get me by while I learn the precision game.  If I decide I really want to get into this I'll look into something better in a year or two.  Vortex makes some awfully nice scopes.

The can is one I made myself on a Form 1.  It's kind of a heavy pig because I overbuilt it, but it works pretty well.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
Optic is a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10.  It's a pretty decent scope for the money, but better glass would be nice.  It tracks true so I figure it will get me by while I learn the precision game.  If I decide I really want to get into this I'll look into something better in a year or two.  Vortex makes some awfully nice scopes.

The can is one I made myself on a Form 1.  It's kind of a heavy pig because I overbuilt it, but it works pretty well.

Thanks for sharing your scope secrets. I have a Rem 700 in 308 that I have been playing with and have been very impressed with while breaking it in. I want to sit down and test all my options but bullets are dang hard to find and my powder selection is getting low. So far 168g A-Max have been doing really well up to 150 200 yards but optics (cheap grade bushnell scope) and me have been a limiting factor. I have always been interested in long range shooting but with a limited "fun" budget I always was curious what it would take to get into long range shooting.