< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Zimmerman Trial: Coverage by a gun owner, for gun owners  (Read 1003 times)

Offline lawofselfdefense

• Forum Member
Zimmerman Trial: Coverage by a gun owner, for gun owners
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »
Hey folks,

I just wanted to drop a note to let you know I'm covering the George Zimmerman trial down in Florida for one of the internet's largest legal blogs, Legal Insurrection.

Some of you may know me as a lawyer with a practice specializing in the law of self defense, others as that guy who shoots the IDPA matches wearing a suit jacket along with his cargo pants.

In any case, if you're tired of the incredibly biased mainstream media coverage (or should I call it mis-coverage) of the Zimmerman case, consider taking a look at my coverage of the trial and analysis of the legal issues, all from the perspective of a gun guy who has CCW'd every day of his adult life.

It is, of course, all entirely free, and Legal Insurrection doesn't sell anything (also, Legal Insurrection is not my site, I'm just a guest blogger there).

Past coverage (up through last night's daily wrap-up post) can be found here: http://bit.ly/15KXK1a

Today's live coverage will be added to that list when Court goes into session at 9AM.

Thanks for your consideration!

Andrew

Offline lawofselfdefense

• Forum Member
Re: Zimmerman Trial: Coverage by a gun owner, for gun owners
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »
Hey folks,

I just posted up my summary of today's voir dire of prospective jurors for the Zimmerman trial, click the link below if you'd like to read it.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

In brief, two events today were particularly interesting . . .  or, more accurately, shocking.

First was a prospective juror, J39, who told the Court that as far as he was concerned, murder's murder, no matter what.  Even if it's self defense. Self-defense doesn't make it right to kill somebody."  When asked if he would be biased in this case on the issue of self-defense as murder he responded, "Yes," and that he would not be able to set his opinion aside.

Prospective juror J39 was promptly dismissed by the court.

Far more disturbing, however, was prospective juror E7, who may have attempted to perpetuate a despicable fraud upon the Court in an effort to destroy the integrity of the jury.

While being questioned by the State, E7 made all the right noises about having not yet made up his mind about the case.  He said, for example, that if someones within their right to defend themselves, they shouldn't be arrested.

The entire time he was being questioned by the State, however, the defense table was scribbling like crazy.  They asked to approach the bench, along with the State, and there was a hurried discussion with Judge Nelson out of everyone's hearing.  After a few minutes Judge Nelson addressed E7, held up a printed Facebook page, and asked him if he had made this post on a Facebook page called "Coffee Page Progressives."  He said that he had.  Judge Nelson then noted for the record that the post in question had been made on March 21, 2012.

I took the liberty at looking at the  Facebook postings for "Coffee Party Progressives" on that date.  What I found was a hard-core Progressive site that, among other things, advocated for the violent death of George Zimmerman:  "I say give the guy some skittles and an iced tea and shoot him in the head," wrote one commenter.  Another commenter wrote, ". . . In Sanford . . . & I CAN tell you THIS.  "Justice" . . . IS Coming! " and "The Seminole County "Justice" System needs an ENEMA . . . & they just MIGHT GET one!"

Prospective juror E7 was also promptly dismissed by the court.

To see the entire wrap-up of today's third day of voir dire, including screen caps of the "Coffee Party Progressives" posts and comments from March 21, 2012, just click here:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

Best,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the updates, please keep them coming.  I for one am very interested in the outcome of this case and its potential effect on the Castle Doctrine as a whole.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
If you have not checked out the information that Andrew, @LawSelfDefense has been posting on this trial you should check it out.  It is much more accurate than what is being reported by the news networks that we are seeing, I have watched portions of the trial and the MSM is not giving an accurate portrait of what is going on.  With this trial currently in the Prosecutors hands he should be hammering his case at this point, and at this point I would say Zimmerman is up and only going to get stronger when it comes time to present his defense.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
I found it interesting that the 'star" witness was asked in court to read the letter she 'wrote' to the Martin family.   Turns out that the only part she could read was her own name. "I don't read cursive" was her excuse.   She wasn't asked who wrote the letter for her but it is obvious that she didn't write the letter.   What we have here is an orchestration of the prosecution.  By the prosecutor?   While watching part of the trail I  noticed that the judge frequently cut off lines of cross examination by the defense attorney when it was apparent that the credibility of the witness was being exposed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:11:07 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
If you watch the case live, that witness does plenty of eye rolling. She can barely speak English. I've since realized that if I speak English poorly enough that no one can understand me, then a clear record doesn't exist that I can be held to.

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Yesterday, I watched portions of the elicitation given by the "star witness."
If I were a juror on the case, it would be an insurmountable task to find the defendant
guilty, and sentencing him to years of incarceration based on her testimony.